Girls, My hair is Brownish red and the brown is medium brown and I dyed my hair purple and it came out jet black did I do something wrong?

This isn't my first time dying my hair, I have dyed it auburn and one time red but this is my first time dying it purpleGirls, My hair is Brownish red and the brown is medium brown and I dyed my hair purple and it came out jet black did I do something wrong?
I used Vidal Sassoon Ultra Vibrant Color: Oxford Violet Onyx

2

Most Helpful Girl

• It might have reacted with the reddish tint in your hair; mine did this before when I was a teenager.

What Girls Said 1

• It's like mixing colors. Putting blue ontop of yellow won't give you blue, it'll give you green. Same concept with the purple. I would bleach or lighten and cancel out brassy tones before considering doing purple. But use manic panic or a temp dye for those types of colors.

• Thank you so much! I should of have bleached but I thought it might turn out okay.

• I usually use hair extensions when it comes to hair dye like that, I used splat on hair extensions and the purple came out perfectly without the bleach because I forgot to put it in