Why can girls look casual in guy clothes, but guys look ridiculous in girl clothes?

Girls can look normal and casual cross dressing in male clothes. But When a guy wears girl clothes, he looks ridiculous.

Most Helpful Girl

• I've noticed this is a frequent question on GaG and quite evident in our society.
    Before I answe your question I have to ask you something. What is the worst thing you can call a girl? A lot of names are probably coming into your head at the moment none of which I shall state in this message due to younger audiences. Now think of the worst thing you can call a guy. In most cases the names overlap with some exceptions.
    A girl is shamed for being a girl, and the worst thing you can call a guy is a girl.
    Now if society treats being a girl a bad thing, miraculously, people will see being a girl/feminine a bad thing. Of course this wouldn't be the case if there weren't stereotypes assigned to each gender such as "girls clothes" and "guys clothes" but it is what has been for centuries.
    Now a girl is not going to be as severely harassed about wearing pants as a guy will for wearing a dress. Because the worst thing a girl can be is a girl and the worst thing a guy can be is well, a girl.
    In France, women couldn't wear pants until 2013, in fact it was illegal to do so there. Lately quite a few feminist movements have been active and are trying to end this gap that involves these crude gender stereotypes.
    If you want a bit more information of feminism I'd suggest checking out this website.
    www.feministsforall.weebly.com
    Hope this helps.

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 8

• Social perception. People have been conditioned over generations to think that a man wearing women's close SHOULD look ridiculous, therefore that's what they think. In time that attitude will eventually change, but we aren't there yet.

• What exactly do you mean by "girl clothes"? Like summer dresses and skirts, or tight-fitting jeans?

I think it has something to do with society's strict rules on who should wear what. Guys are "supposed" to wear manly clothes. Feminism has certainly gone a long way in reducing the standards placed on women to always appear ladylike and innocent (no longer are women only allowed to wear dresses and skirts). However, men are now in the same position, which is what most feminists are hoping to curb.

• I don't think guys look ridiculous in girl's clothes. A lot of guys look amazing in them.

• Because girl clothes are generally a lot smaller than guy clothes.

• It hasn't much to do with size. A guy can find girl's clothes that fit him, but he'll still look totally ridiculous in a dress.

• Because guys clothes are very oversized on girls while girls clothes are very tight on guys. It's pretty obvious what's the more casual look lol

• Because girl clothes aren't casual

• Guys are too big for girl clothes.

• I've been watching the show Turn and think the men look great in their tight pants and fancy coats

s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/.../...57fe8d0f22.jpg

And let's not even get started on Outlander

www.kilts-n-stuff.com/.../...mie_kilt_800px_tm.jpg

• Those are not women's clothes though...

• Women don't literally wear men's clothes that often either, because they're cut differently. My point is that looks that ended up being considered "feminine" weren't always so and can look really good.

What Guys Said 7

• Probably because female clothing these days tend to have less and less fabric... and guys really don't have much to show off... well... unless they work it right.

• Because so few men can pull of wearing a kilt.

• Why can you look casual wearing a baseball cap backwards, but wearing a button shirt backwards is ridiculous.

• The beauty - pardon the pun - in male clothes is that both can look alright in them, it's one of those things where maleness can look fine on anyone. It's not the same perk with women's clothes. However, some male wear looks ridiculous on women.

• Many guys wear women's jeans, certain shirts, and even sneakers. It's more common than people realize, that's because (surprise!) not every article of women's clothing is girly some can be gender neutral.

• I've worn women's hoodies and jeans and because my body frame is thin nobody even knew I pull it off.

• Guys have different builds in girls, hence girls clothes would look foolish on us.

• Girl clothes are meant to make you look feminine. Guy clothes aren't meant to make you look masculine, really.

• Plenty of men's clothing is sold that doesn't make men look manly, everyone has their own style on what looks best.