How to deal with being the "ugly" sister?

I am by no means ugly but it's difficult to compare myself to someone as gorgeous as my older sister. She is more conventionally beautiful, with a tiny button nose, beautiful big hazel eyes, a small feminine jaw, perfect fair skin and great curves. I believe my face is more ethnic-looking , she looks more like the European side of the family while I look more like the Middle Eastern side , which isn't necessarily bad but not very conventionally beautiful. I don't have a tiny nose with a little bump at my bridge, my eyes are brown, my face is more oval shaped and elongated which in my opinion is much less feminine, I am very skinny with subtle curves, and I have had issues with acne for many years. I have been told I'm beautiful many times and that I should be a model, and some have even said I am more beautiful than my sister, but that is just impossible for me to believe. I've been working on my confidence and most of the time I'm alright with the way I look but when I see my sister, my confidence level shoots back to 0. Which I hate because I don't want to resent her or feel inferior to her but it's difficult for me to help it since she has ever physical feature I have ever wished for and every time I'm around her I find myself subconsciously comparing. I have even considered getting plastic surgery to look more like her (although I won't). I know worrying about your looks is pointless but my insecurities affect me so much (mostly my acne) that I hardly leave the house and if I do I need to wear makeup to feel decent enough for other people to see me. How do I accept that I look different from my sister but that doesn't mean I am less beautiful?

Most Helpful Girl

• My older sister has always been like Barbie, big lips, tiny frame, big eyes, long hair. She was the hot one and I was just more plain. So I thought. She would always cake her face in makeup and I never did, I just kept my skin clean. I worked on accepting myself and not looking for validation through my looks. As we got older, and we began to talk about our lives (we fought as teens) she told me she always thought I was naturally beautiful and that she always felt pressured to look good 24/7 so she wouldn't leave the house without trying to look her best. She is incredibly insecure with her looks and her body, and she has a hard time believe anyone would find her attractive without makeup. Meanwhile I love my body and because I've shown confidence about it, it hasn't effected my relationships or my self-esteem. I'm still way bigger compared to her little body but she envies my boobs, butt, clear skin and strong legs. I focus on health, not beauty, and she was obsessed with it so she smoked to stay slim and now you can see the effects in her skin and nails and it will just get worse. So, there's a tale for you. Don't compare yourself, nurture yourself.

What Guys Said 1

• Someone will see you as the most beautiful girl he every seen. A good way to find him is to be approach able, funny have a great smile/laugh... all guys want to be around fun girls and not around nagging/bitches. Looks only last so long and if you don't have a good personality, you'll end up being the single old "Cat" lady.

What Girls Said 0