Do you believe people when they call you attractive?

I have trouble believing people when they call me beautiful/pretty/cute. I don't feel like those thins, and I've been told that I'm not. I usually feel as if a person is complimenting me as a joke, out of pity, or for their own benefit. However, I do believe people who say that I'm attractive online. They've only seen pictures of me that I wanted them to see, so the image they have of me is pretty since I made it that way. how about you guys?

• Yes, I believe people who call me attractive.
  • No, I do not believe people who call me attractive.

Most Helpful Guy

• It depends who said it. If its my mom then no, moms say that. If its a girl trying to sell me clothes , sunglasses, clothing accessories , etc. then no I'd assume she's trying to get me to buy it.

When girls on the street tell me that I believe them. In the scenerio When a girl i just met the other day is down to hook up, and i somehow asked her why she's down , she says "you're hot", i believe it.

Now if I ask directly about my looks, im skepticle because she's likely not going to tell me im ugly if she thinks im ugly.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes, sure, why wouldn't I?

Either you don't believe it yourself, or you don't place much stock in other people, either by virtue of their honesty or ability to identify ''attractive'' as you see it.

Attraction is subjective to the region, culture, group, and even the individual, so if what you call attractive doesn't line up with what they find attractive you might not believe them if they say you're attractive.

If it's an issue of not trusting other people, that's an issue that many women have, because there is a rather large chunk of the gene pool who dishes out compliments on attractiveness as a form of manipulation.

If you've had to deal with such people too often or at the wrong times then it's easy to see how they could also have stigmatized you to not believe it when anyone else calls you attractive.

Wishing you the best of luck.

What Guys Said 65

• I take it as it being their opinion. What matters is what I think of me, but I won't turn away people's compliments.

• There was a time in my life that I did believe it when it was said. Now I just ask them what is your angle , and what do they want

• Kind of. Back in the day I always assumed they want to make fun of me or something, but I am a bit more confident about myself and don't assume that they must be lying due to the fact that they are inherently wrong. Although it doesn't happen often so it takes me by surprise.

• I ve only seen one pic of you and I remember you looked good man

• @archiz my haircut was bad and my glasses looked quite dorky so yeah. Also I just generally didn't trust anyone

• I voted A.

It's partially because -- while I'm as humble as I come -- I feel good about the way I look.

It's also because, as a man, we aren't complimented on our appearances like women are. Thus, when someone says it, it's much likelier that they actually mean it.

• No what sorcery is this? I would think that they just had pity for me, where trying to butter me up, or were dared to do it, or a social prank experiment. That's why I should go here on GAG and ask 100 rate me questions all worded a bit differently and make a poll to think who thinks I am attractive and even if just 1% says I am ugly I will focus on that one percent and not the 99% and still wouldn't me convinced I was attractive.

• Ya I believe them

• 99% of the time, NO.
    I've had too many examples of lying, if not to me, to themselves.

• I kinda believe it. People are kinda rude nowadays so if they say you are attractive out right, they usually mean it.
    I see where you are coming from though. My girlfriend says that im cute but I haven't had enough gf's in my lifetime for me to even think so. Probably my problem right there, confidence but ehh... still

• I honestly don't get why someone would not... I tell my wife she is beautiful and very attractive every day... I make it a habit to never ever lie to her, so when she throws it back at me, saying she doesn't believe me, it's an insult to my honesty..

I believe it when she tells me things like that but when I say the same it's looked at as suspect... I just don't get it.

• Yes and no..
    I'll openly admit in pictures I look okay.
    But in person I don't look anywhere near as nice.
    My nose has blackheads and my face is generally a lot more redder from spots and stuff.

I don't edit my pictures I just use sunlight

• I know I'm beautiful. *flips hair back smugly*.

• It really depends. I tend to believe complements coming from peers and people younger. People older tend to complement you more out of respect and manners, especially relatives. And definitely don't believe what someone who's trying to sell you something says.

• Other than my wife no one has ever told me if I was or wasn't attractive. but to tell you the truth I have never asked

• It never happens... not in a direct way.

• Yes I do.

• No - I believe that actions speak louder than words. I know that if someone said I was attractive, they're probably referring to my personality more than anything.

• Yeah I believe em.

• There's a limit, OTT compliments are obviously not believable.

• I don't really get called handsome or cute but a few times ever, but those few times I did believe it but just girls I know... to me they matter more than when a family member tells you, they are at least quite obligated to tell you the best things. A random girl or at least a friend they don't have to make you feel good like a family member. They can be honest. So I believe girls more.

• I'd feel they were mostly trying to make me feel better about myself, but still believe there was some at least decent truth about it. I'm simply too hard on myself.

• I don't like hearing compliments about my looks except from my girl , other than that I don't like them because don't compliment me on something I didn't do

• If someone says I am cute, hot, sexy, handsome... I believe it (unless it is a salesperson).

• I'm kind of narcissistic guy lol, if someone tells me i look good i would say "Yeah, i know. Everything looks good on me" in a joking way.

• I often think the person is drunk or high LOL

• Lol, they don't need to tell me.

• More or less yes.

• Na. I just think they're trying to be nice.

• Yes, I do :)

• It depends how attractive they are themselves tbh. lool

• I will... when it happens :(

• More from Guys
    35

2 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 56

• depends on the person. i know some people are fake af with it, because they go and tell others later that "she'd look better IF... "

• Saying shed look better IF doesn't mean they dont think she's attractive. There were girls who guys always talked about as being hot or cute and they would still say stuff like "if she put on 30lbs she'd be a ten" , or "shes so cute but she's skinny", or "shes a cute girl but she's bigger than me", "shes a cute girl , its just not my type".

In all scenerios they think or believe those girls were attractive girls

• @bjjk067 oh trust me mate, i know what I'm talking about. i've had people come up to me and tell me what girls have been saying, and it's really quite hurtful. but if ur talking about something different then okay. that isn't what i meant.

@luvstoned4him u and me both girl :(

• It all goes down to what you think of yourself.
    I mean, I know I am attractive ao I believe them when they say that haha.
    And if they say I am ugly i d assume they are bitter or jelly or maybe I am totally not their type.
    So whatever

• Yes, I do, because typically people don't have a reason to lie to me.

• not a chance!

• Some people I do and others I question if they are only saying it to be nice. No matter what I do know that I'm extremely cute. :D Plus I believe I must be some what attractive to other people due to my boyfriend being with me.

• It depends on the person who is giving the compliment. Some people I believe while others I think are lying or they are joking.

• I take compliments that i agree with, even half assed ones. its rlly easy to feed my ego 😛

• no i don't... cause i have issues with my image :'(

• Okay the first thing I did when I saw the question was look at your photo. And you are attractive. Yes you are and I know we are online and I know I'm a girl but I still say that I stand by my opinion. Now everybody says beauty is in the eyes of the beholder and of course that is true but accepting that generalization as a whole versus accepting it as applying to oneself are two different things. Look at the reverse. If somebody says that I'm not attractive then I really believe them. Why? It brings out my own insecurities. You may not see them but I can tell you every single thing wrong with my appearance. Every blemish every pockmarked every fat pad etc. so when somebody tells me I'm not attractive or they don't find me attractive the first thing I think of is, "yea, they saw the fat pad or because my nose looks like I'm a pig. I really look like a a pig when you look at my nose, oink oink." So I guess my answer is when someone says I'm attractive where they find me attractive I really and truly want to believe. That's not saying I believe them – that is saying I want to believe them. Let me give you one more example I'm sexually active. When a guy tells me that I'm great in bed, the vast majority of times I don't believe them. I figure that this saying that so I can be readily available the next time they want sex. And that is really bad. That is a sign of really low self-esteem or insecurity. One day one time I'm just in a lie there like a dead rag and see if they tell me that I'm great in bed. Then I'll stand up get a baseball bat and beat the hell out of him saying liar liar

• I'm over 220 pounds and fairly short. I know how to tilt my camera to drop a whole lot of pounds, I'm wearing a lot of makeup in that photo, and made sure to cut off most of my head to hide how long it is and the way it's shaped, I made sure to open the window to get in natural sunlight to make my paleness shine out all of my acne, lumps, and craters in my face, and I turned and lowered my head to get the good angle of myself where you can't see the extra fat bunched under my chin. I don't think I'm beautiful, I'm just good with a camera. Thanks anyway though <3

• I agree with you in the discription, but there's another important factor I think.. And that is the personality of the person who compliments you.
    If a rather bubbly friend tells me that I look pretty today, it doesn't mean anything (because she says it to a lot of people (everyday)).
    But when a friend who does rarely make comments about my appearance, compliments me, than I believe that person and feel flattered

• Nope not really, sometimes I look at it as them being nice, or maybe they are just trying to impress there friend, you never know. Plus I don't get a lot of compliments anyways.

• Lol, nope.

• Lol, not really. I just end up laughing because I'm not used to a lot of compliments.

• Not really, but I'm certainly trying.

• Not always...

• Honestly? Nah lol. I just think that they're trying to be nice.

• No, I don't. Not at all. I think people say that to me to make me feel better, but I can tell it's not genuine.

• I kinda do but im always at least a little skeptical or assume its only because of my makeup and clothing.

• I don't believe it online or in person. I feel like online it's more of a lie since in real life guys hardly compliment me unless it's a stranger which I'm skeptical of

• No because the only people that call me attractive are my family

• I think they wanted money from me.

• It depends on who says it to me... if it's someone I know then I don't believe them if it's a stranger I believe them lol

• No I think they are just being polite.

• Yes.

• Yes because I usually hear it when I also think I look good and I don''t hear it when I look bad lol.

• Yes, but it's taken along time to get here. I still get embarrassed when strangers say it, especially guys. But at least I don't laugh at them now or debate it.

• Kind of depends on my mood. Generally, I dont.

• I don't believe a god damn word of it. xD

• I believe, to them, I am. However, there is a part in my head that reminds me that there are prettier girls. I don't really let the compliments stick because i shut down the desire to be pretty a long time ago. it was too damaging to my self esteem.

• I wish there was a "maybe" button lol. What are the results?

• More from Girls
    26