What does it mean when a guy buys you a drink?

Last night, I went for a friend's birthday to a local 'Irish style' bar. A friend of hers who I have never met before bought me a beer (I didn't hint... Show More

Most Helpful Opinion

• It is a very common practice. Guys use it as a way to at let you know that they are a little interested. But you need to realize that you are in no way obligated to talk to them, flirt with them, or whatever, if you're hanging out with friends or whatever. But it does at least open the avenue for the guy, and at least give him a chance to talk to you, and show that he's interested. But the ball is in your court. Just because guy buys you a drink doesn't mean you have to do anything. Just like if a guy gives you his number. You don't have to call him. But it does give you the option.

• Thanks. I buy my friends drinks all the time (be it a female or male friend), and usually its just a polite gesture or because I am in a tremendously generous mood.

I asked the question because I wonder if guys feel obligated that a woman keep talking and paying attention to the guy or go on and do her own thing for the night.

Appreciate the response.

• I mean, I guess it depends on the individual guy. I'm not going to pretend to be an expert. I'm sure most will think that you owe them something. But they are the one that is buying it for you, so they shouldn't expect anything in return. Like I said, the ball is in your court. If you don't want to talk to them, then don't feel obligated at all. Just say thank you very much. And then return to what you were doing.