Are dreadlocks a good idea?

I've been wanting to get dreadlocks for a while now, and now, being ill with chickenpox i've decided it's something I want to go through with but there's one thing stopping me, and that is, how bad is getting dreadlocks actually for your hair? I've suffered through weakening hair whilst in hospital and thinning, for some reason, some lady (that had dreadlocks) told me dreading it would be a good idea for giving it time to heal and regrow. Is this true? - I'm really sorry if this is all over the place and doesn't actually make sense, since i've got the chickenpox i'm on a lot of pain medication and typing is surprisingly difficult.

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• I've had dreadlocks for some time before I decided I wanted to cut my hair. I didn't have all of my hair in dreads but let's say, about a half of it. It does damage your hair, since you're making it into a knot sorta thing but it isn't as bad as dyeing your hair or straightening it every day. After you I don't know how to say that.. Brush the dreadlock out, it just looks kinda puffy and dry. I did my dreadlocks myself (I can send you the link to the tutorial if you want me to) And I didn't really pull me hair as hard as some professionals do. As you may know there is many ways to dread your hair, so you just have to pick the one that works best for your hair. With the whole healing thing.. Yeah I would give your hair some time to get stronger first, before you start dreading it.

What Guys Said 3

• No idea, I'm no hair specialist
    You might consider consulting some doctor or at least a hairdresser

• not for a white girl.

• Only if you're black. Are you black?

• No, i'm not but what the actual hell does my race have to do with my hair?

• Dreadlocks look kinda shit on chicks who aren't black.

What Girls Said 1

• Dreadlocks are NEVER a good idea (unless you're Bob Marley).