In your opinion, what are the fashion rules? Are there even any? Do you follow them or not?

Most Helpful Girl

• im very into fashion and clothes but I really don't follow any rules beyond the basics. there are no rules really, I think. a designer can come out with something completely outrageous and may be praised by critics. haute couture is different from commercial stuff though.

i agree with the girl above about the makeup balance between bold and simple. though I have broken that a couple times intentionally and it still looked pretty good. its not something I make a habit of though because it really can look clownish if you're not careful. still who cares? if you like it that's all that matters. I just don't like it that often. essentially though I mean I believe in individuality. as long as you aren't walking around naked or showing off parts that we don't need to see, fashion is your own interpretation. that's all it is, a statement about what you like in a way. I have some friends who are "punks" for example and they wear clothes that make a statement about them. everything from their bold piercing to their their crazy colored hair and their ripped up jeans, etc. really rubs me the right way. I like expression, I like boldness. I like for people to dress however they want and pretty much say, screw everyone else this is our fashion. I love it. lol I'm not a punk but my style is my own. its kind of a combo between very edgy and very feminine usually but I switch it up frequently for variety. I'm also really into the whole boho-chic thing.

i think one time some girl told me that I shouldnt wear skinny jeans because I'm curvy. not fat, I'm barely even chubby in my stomach, I'm just naturally curvy. I have noticeably wider hips compared to my small waist, a round medium sized butt (not too big but not too small), and a full bust. this girl told me that unless you are "kate moss skinny" you shouldnt try to rock skinny jeans. my collection of skinnies has only gotten bigger.

What Guys Said 5

• If there were rules it would mean you couldn't legitimately call fashion an art form. It's supposed to be out self expression, is it not? What's so expressionist, however, about conformity?

I think that if these rules do exist, then it's only to serve to advertise to everyone else that you're a mindless drone.

• No, I don't like the word...or meaning of "fashion", I just finds it all weird.

But I do pick up some styles myself, not really following any special "in or out" codex, so by that I'm not that into fashion. But I do care about clothing and style, how I look etc, I find it quite important.

I do for most wear just some "relaxed" jeans, a nice fit t-shirt and a hoodie. Or if I feel to put more effort I wear some more stylish jeans and a shirt. I try to mix up the right colours and matching things up.

• I think many of us have an almost innate sense of what looks good, and obversely, what looks bad. For these people no "fashion rules" are necessary. Some folks, however, are at a loss in this area, and must have a rule book to go by.

• I wear white socks with black pants sometimes o.O But only if my black socks aren't clean. I pretty much dress in what I want, and could not care less what others think of it. I get compliments on what I wear often enough, it leads me to believe I'm not breaking too many 'rules' that may be in place.

• whatever makes you look good makes you look good, idc if you're wearing a pink speedo only.

What Girls Said 5

• I think there are a ton of fashion rules that I follow without even realizing it because I'm always trying to dress appropriately for whatever situation I'm in. I usually don't even realize that these are rules until I see someone break them.

• the only fashion rules I've heard of are: (1) don't wear blue eye makeup with red lipstick (which I have never thought of doing) (2) you should wear simple eye makeup with bold lipstick and vice versa (which I have followed, on the most part) and (3) don't wear black with brown (haha, which I have broken numberless times, and been complimented, so...)

interesting question. :)

• I think my only rule is makes sure everything fits properly...okay maybe two rules, make sure everything that should be covered is covered. Other than that I'm all for self expression and creativity :)

• Definitely, there are too many to list. However, it is true that sometimes designers like to break the rules or make new ones, and that's cool too.

• I don't care about fashion. I just wear what is comfortable and what looks good