Why do girls care so much about what they are wearing and take so long to get ready?

Why do girls care so much about what they are wearing and take so long to get ready? I don't understand why it matters so much!

Most Helpful Girl

• Ever heard of symbolic thinking? I don't think any girls actually consciously think about it...they just want to look their best. It takes time to put together a few coordinated outfits that are apropriate for whatever you are about to do (work, dinner with boyfriend's parents, etc) and then try them all on (make sure it fits right and is comfortable enough). And that's just clothes. You've got hair and makeup after that. Smokey eyes sends a different message than natural eye shadow. Bright red lips sends a different message than a light pink. (and the colors/look has to fit in with your outfit). Same thing goes with hair. Appearances are important because it speaks for you. Whether we like it or not, our appearance (and ultimately who we are) is judged by others.

What Girls Said 17

• men have less things to worry about--t-shirt jeans and you are done. women have skirts, dresses, blouses, flats, heels earrings, bracelets makeup hair--so we can look great and turn heads.

Think about it--do you want a girl who looks good on your arm or one who looks like she just fell out of bed.

Well, no woman, or man for that matter, looks good right out of bed...

If you want her to look good then it will take time...besides, women are judged far harsher fro their appearance than men, who can look a bit sloppy and get away with it...

• Girls feel their best when they feel they look their best. It's difficult for guys to understand but putting on a little make-up and doing our hair makes a difference in how we look to the rest of the world. A girl that takes the time to look nice I think is a nice quality. Also, think about the girls ou check out on a day to day basis. How long do you think it took them to get ready? Girls dress nice to go out to look hot to other guys also. However, everything in moderation. If a girl takes a really long time to get ready it's a little ridiculous.

• It has to do with self esteem. I don't get dolled up for a guy or to impress anyone. I take care of my appearance so that I feel confident around people. It probably has a lot to do with what we see in magazines.perfection. It's hard to measure up to that image that women portray in movies, on tv, and in magazines.

• Unlike so many other things in our lives, we have total control over what we wear, both make up-wise and clothes-wise. We take a long time to get ready because we want to make sure we look good, and that sometimes takes a long time to achieve. And then when we look good, we have a lot more self confidence!

• Most of the time girls have inferiority complexes. They feel they're ugly and untalented and want to make up for it with cute clothes.

• Because well...actually I take a long time too find the jeans I want too wear that has too match up with my airforces and a shirt that goes with my sneaker and the belt that goes with my shirt I can't walk outside having 5 different colors on me looking like a clown.

• ok, here's why -- we love daydreaming so getting dressed up is a process in which we realize all our fantazies about the occasion. sometimes it takes me longer to get dressed for work than a night out, but sometimes it's the opposite. the thing you need to understand is that this process of getting dolled up, of putting that mask feels as good as masturbation (and I say masturbation and not sex with a partner because it's our private little thing -- omg, even a thought of dressing up turns me on, so I'm going to get dressed up right now (and stay home)... LOL -- glad you asked this quest!

• I agree with diamond and also...they don't want you to lose interest so they gotta keep on dressing up and looking good so they keep your interest. that's why when girls get married sometimes they start dressing uglier and they cut there hair off or something.

• We want to make sure we look pretty, mostly. It's also because we feel we won't be seen as attractive by members of the opposite sex if we don't take the time to work on our appearances.

• who said "feel their best look their best" thing is rightooo:]

if we think we look bad, then we act weird and insecure,andwedont feelgood about ourselves.

other times, its to impress

• i agree with lis here, girls do feel their best when they look their best. I mean, for me it gives me more confidence to go and talk to the guy I like :) plus, we take forever to get ready because we want to look perfect for you guys!

• Because girls always have to outdo each other, and for YOU silly.

• Mostly because girls judge other girls. They want to make sure they are the best dressed and best looking girl in the room!

• Girls judge other girls and girls feel like they are always judged by guys to. But some just like to look their best.

• They want to look good.

• It makes us feel better about our selves and brings a confidence. When you look good you feel good. Hope I helped!

• So we make sure we look the best we can!! =)

What Guys Said 2

• Because being a girl is far harder than being a man. You should realize that. It takes considerable more time for a girl to get ready, and for good reason.

• thats just who they are