Reasons why parents won't allow their daughter to wear makeup?

I'm going back to school shopping soon, and one of the things my mom told me not to buy was makeup and finger polish. I don't understand. She keeps saying I don't need it. I have to wait until I'm 18. I find this a bit unfair since other girls my age can wear makeup.

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• Couple of thoughts...
    1. You are your mother's child. It doesn't matter if every other girl in your class gets to wear it, she's not their parent, she's yours. Yada, yada, you won't understand this until you someday have kids...
    2. She might be a bit overbearing, sure, but usually I find these types of parents are desperately trying to maintain control of their children and to keep their children, "children" for as long as possible and since legally the statute of limitations on that is 18 whereby they can have complete say in your governance, that tends to be the age at which suddenly you are "allowed" to do more adult things.
    3. Get a job soon, buy your own stuff. A parent is not going to pay for something they consider optional or distasteful.
    4. Secretly do the trial run. Buy the most natural looking make-up and nail polishes and attempt to wear them around your mom. Hopefully she won't notice until you bring up the point that, you've been wearing make-up for a while now, and it makes you feel happy. Try not to whine. Try desperately not to tell her she's wrong for not letting you wear it, and hopefully she will see that you aren't going to change into this other person by wearing them (or she'll ground you forever, it's a crap shoot).
    5. Finally, do what every teenage girl with strict parents has done since the dawn of time... apply your make up in the school bathroom before class. Duh!

What Guys Said 3

• Your mom is just overly strict, I'm a teacher and I seen all types of students in middle school wearing nail polish, and some even wear lipstick!

I can understand not wearing lipstick because you may look too "grown", and not wearing foundation or powder because it can be bad for teens' skin by flaring up acne...
    ...
    ... but lip gloss should still be acceptable.

• make up is not something you need so why spend money on it? it would be better to save up money for higher education or a car or something.

• Dignity

What Girls Said 4

• She's just trying to protect you by being strict about it. Perverted grown men look for any excuse to go after young girls. Looking "too grown" up is just another temptation for pedophiles. It doesn't mean it'll stop them, but it is one more thing that may attract them to you.

• I'm sorry but you must have a really strict mother then. Girls should be able to wear make up at any age above 5.😬

• My parents compliment my makeup if it looks good and criticize it if it looks bad.

• Finger polish? Lmao

My mom was the same... You do you.