How to get my healthy relaxed hair back?

I've been getting relaxers from maybe age 10 to now (23). My hair was always longish and reached my mid back up until I was 18 and started to bleach and use semi permanent dye on it.

Long story short, my hair got pretty damaged and it's now shoulder length like a long bob.

I've stopped bleaching my hair but I still get relaxers and use semi permanent black dye every once in a while.

How do I get my healthy long relaxed hair back?

Most Helpful Guy

• You need to regrow it. There's no other option. Your hair is dead cells. It does NOT regenerate once damaged. It only grows out.

Most Helpful Girl

• Trim split ends, don't wash your hair as often and when you do only use shampoo on your scalp and the top of your head, and conditioner on the bottom. Shampoo will kill your hair. Also oils work wonders. I use argan oil, it saved my hair, but I've heard of many other oils being just as good or better. After every shower I take a little bit on my fingers and run them through my hair, not on or near the scalp though and make sure to put very little since it can make your hair look greasy if you don't

• I don't use any heat on my hair so I forgot to mention but don't use heat or any hair products. I've also heard that putting your hair in a bun damages it even more, the best "up do" for your hair is braids

• so I shouldn't oil my scalp at all?

• If you're doing an oil mask then yes you oil your whole head and put a bag over it, keep it on for as long as possible, id say at least an hour, and take a shower to get it all out. What I was talking about was just running very little through your ends after a shower. You're welcome !

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 10

• do u use hair oils? because I'm telling u, those worked wonders for me.

almond, macadamia, coconut and argan oil.

• Just stop doing anything to it. Let it grow out naturally, don't use relaxers, don't use products other than normal shampoo and conditioner, don't straighten or curl your hair. As it grows out, trim it to get rid of the damaged parts that you still have and to avoid split ends.

• I have to relax it, I can't have 3/4 of my head straight and 1/4 all wavy and thick.

So that means my only option is to wait years to get it back?

• ahh I see.

if you actually want healthy hair, yes. because otherwise you're just putting more and more product onto already damaged hair. you might fix the appearance of it, but it won't actually be healthier. hair is made of keratin and dead skin cells, it doesn't actually repair itself if it's damaged.

• @LaVilaine is pretty spot on. Keeping it moisturized is key. Coconut oil is great. Lay off the heat and chemicals for awhile. I've been relaxer free since January 2012 so most of the products I use are geared towards maintaining curls. And I wear a lot of protective styles which I think would be good for you too.

• Relaxing the hair is very damaging maybe try using a weaker relaxer or stop relaxing your hair. You should also take biotin it's for hair growth I've taken them before my hair was long bob and a year later it was down by my waist that was the fastest my hair has ever grown. Maybe try using a permanent dye then you won't be dying it as often.

• Moisturize the shit out of it. Hair masks a few times a week, limited heat styling. Might want to do a protective hair style for a while, actually.

• any products you'd recommend? Would a weave be a good protection option?

• Coconut oil. And yes! A weave, corn rows, box braids, etc. Pay in mind that I'm white and basing it on the testimony of @Charismatic110 and @itsallover.

• Agreed, I'm also a fan of Shea Moisture and Creme of Nature products. Moisturisation is key.

• Shave the shit and grow it da fuck back

• You cut a lot and stop dye it, only clean your hair 1 by week and eat good things (be in a healty weight) and do a coconut oil mask on your hair one hours before clean them.
    My hair was shoulder lenght and one years after they get under my breast

• Coconut oil works magic , my hair was very damaged from bleach and using a oil treatment 1-2 times a week really helped it , also shampoo as less as you can , and slow down on getting your hair relaxed

• Moisturise often and do a protein treatment for extra strength once in a while too. Moisture helps it not be brittle and break, and protein helps strengthen it so it will break less. Maybe try to do that relaxer mixed with conditioner thing instead now too.

• Hot oil treatments, hair mayonaise, there are loads of products on the market for damaged hair the best way is to not relax then that would mean cutting off all that relaxer and having very short hair depending on the length, but hair treatments like keratin and hair mayonaises are good for strengthening the hair.