People with a low self esteem, do you feel different about yourself when/if someone honestly calls you beautiful?

My question is aimed at people who feel like they're not physically attractive. If someone says you are beautiful (or handsome, sexy, pretty, whatever) like they mean it, does it change the way you feel about yourself? Do you 'believe' them?

• I think I'm not attractive and that doesn't change, no matter what people tell me
  • I think I'm not attractive, but I feel better about my looks when someone calls me beautiful (perhaps I'd need it several times)
  • I don't feel unattractive at all, but I still feel even better when someone compliments my looks
  • I don't feel unattractive at all and that doesn't change when people call me beautiful
  • Other/results

Most Helpful Guy

• I think that this is more for women but I'll reply anyway😂😅😅before compliments would annoy me, now these days I blush like hell😳😂😂😂😂

Most Helpful Girl

• Last week, I was walking from the gym. It was long walk, way too hot, hair disheveled, I saw my reflection of my body when I passed buildings and thought, ugh... I need to tone up real bad. Well, I was about to go into a restaurant becuase I had just missed the bus, and was going to wait. This guy in a truck pulls up and COMPLETELY compliments my beauty. I mean, he was just saying everything right under the sun and I'm like... HUH? you think I'm still pretty looking like this?

I think what tends to happen is that our own minds are our own enemy. Our thoughts and how we feel about ourselves are the only thoughts and feelings we know best. So, when somebody else comes along and says you're beautiful, it's not only shocking, but it's inspiring.

What Guys Said 17

• I voted C), but previously I had such bad self-esteem that I assumed when someone compliments me, they are probably lying.

• It would give me a short-lived ego boost for the day, but it wouldn't change how I see myself overall.

Afterall, I'm not really trying to better myself for the opposite sex, anyway. I'm a severe perfectionist, and I want to look the way I, personally, want to look. Its like I'm not living up to my own standards, and I wanna change that.

• If you would gradually get more compliments alltogether, with more people being interested in you/hitting on you or telling you look good, would that give a more permanent felling of being attracted?

• It would raise my confidence with attracting the opposite sex (perhaps even permanently), but like I said it wouldn't sokve my problem of not living up to MY OWN standards.

• No, I would assume they are bullshitting me. My perception overrides theirs.

• I appreciate the compliment and I believe they find me that way but it doesn't change my own opinion. Maybe if a lot of people did and often it might?

• Sorta, I have a low self esteem about my appearance because girls think I'm a nerd. The only people I don't believe are my family because they tell me the same thing,"your fine, your hansem" yet girls tell me I'm ugly and make jokes. I won't believe it till I see it :-)

• I know I'm hot.

• I may believe them at that moment and remember the compliment at the end of the day. But it's quite short lived and wouldn't change how I felt about myself on the whole.

• No not at all, I like people who say stuff like that because it shows they're kind but no it doesn't make a difference to how I personally feel about myself.

• I wouldn't say that it changes the way I see about myself cause I don't think of myself more that way cause I'm not full of myself

• I don't believe them. I would think they are either messing with me or they are taking pity on me.

• someone could tell me they want me to marry them but that wouldn't fix the ugly loser who looks back at me in the mirror

• I thought the same for a long time but having a lot of kind people around me actually did change the ugly loser in the mirror a bit. She looked... happier. And I have a nice smile. And she looks proudly at me instead of with an unhealthy sad gaze.

• I have never had someone tell me I am good looking. How sad is that.

• im use to people calling me peng and i dont feel different because its the truth.

• No one calls me beautiful 😔

• Women stare at me and call me. hansome everday but then again im in the philipines.

• don't feel unattractive at all and that doesn't change when people call me beautiful

• I don't think I'm attractive and when I hear things such as that I just think I'm being lie to for some reason. Either because someone wants something from me, they're being friendly or just trying to make me feel good about myself. It doesn't work and I really rather not hear it since I know it's just BS.

What Girls Said 11

• It gives me self esteem until I look in the mirror...
    But like it makes me feel weird cause I know I'm not lmao

• If that's you in your picture, I think you're really pretty! Except for the snapchat filter, I don't really like that filter.

• Nobody has ever given me a legit compliment. A real in the flesh you're beautiful and it's true, I don't want anything from you. People only compliment me to get something out of me. Simple really. I don't believe any compliment anyone gives me ever.

• That's hard to believe I think your pretty

• Why would people want sex or stuff from you if they didn't think you're attractive? And why wouldn't someone you know be able to give a genuine compliment?

Perhaps it's just in your head that they aren't genuine. They probably mean it when they say you're beautiful!

• I think you're not quite getting what I'm saying. Of course they find me attractive if they want to have sex with me but 'beautiful' is a big word to slap on someone you just want to have sex with and never talk to again. Nah nobodies genuine. I mean I'm not grotesquely ugly in the face but I'm nothing to write home about either, so 'beautiful' is pure bullshit. I've also spent my entire life being told I'm not pretty enough by so many people, I'm very tired of hearing people's opinions on something I can't change - wether it's compliments or insults, I just get tired of hearing people's opinions on me.

• No matter what someone says I believe I am unattractive. I try hard to feel attractive but rarely do. If someone says they think I'm pretty I blush and in my head I think "that's sweet but you're a liar"

• that doesn't change how i feel :(

• For me, it's not so much about looks, but feeling like a crappy person.

• Im mostly confident but when im not it wouldn't change anything for me

• It doesn't really change anything for me, but I still thank them tho.

• It wouldn't because I would think they're lying. I rarely get compliments on my looks.

• Yes I do :)

• I find it incredibly uncomfortable when someone compliments me, my boyfriend tells me I'm gorgeous and sexy almost everyday but I just feel like he's saying it to be nice. I know I'm not gorgeous, I know I'm not sexy. It's very sweet of him to be so nice though.

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more