Does anyone else find it stupid when people say things like "you should only wear a bikini if you have the body for it"?

I've seen a few questions whether or not people think it's OK for people to wear bikinis or thongs and a response I hear quite often is that they should only wear them if they have the body for it.

#facepalm

Did it ever occur to these people that maybe people wear clothing because it's comfortable to them, not for the viewing pleasure of others?

Most Helpful Guy

• I couldn't care less what others think and no one else should either

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 14

• Of course others consider that. Nonetheless, we should all be mindful that others see us when we are in public and a 300 pound woman wearing a thong is disgusting.

If comfort was the only concern, we would have the right to walk around nude whenever we felt like it.

• You should only wear a bikini if you have the body for it.

It's called civility - behaving in such a way that is socially acceptable. Seeing a woman in a bikini who is not bikini-worthy is uncomfortable for the people who have to see her and, sadly, she warrants ridicule from kids who haven't yet developed the sense of keeping their mouths shut in certain social situations.

Such a woman ought to find a nudist beach.

Now, I am not beach worthy either... so I don't go to the beach... because I understand civility.

@abc3643 On the other hand, the "non bikini worthy" ladies might well be uncomfortable with having to see slimmer ladies. They are ALL people and ALL have the same rights. Big lady on beach? Thin lady upset? Tough!! Get over it!!

@dogbert444 It doesn't matter where you live... human nature is what it is.

As for being a naturist, congrats! There's a community like that a few miles from my home but I've seen any of them... because they are civil and isolate themselves from those who don't want to see naked folks.

• Living right on the sea front, I see ladies of all shapes and sizes, all summer. Some in bikinis, some in one-piece cozzies. I would guess 99.9% are there for their own enjoyment and don't give a toss what other people think.

Same with naturist clubs, beaches and resorts. All shapes and sizes.

So, yes! It is stupid!

• I think we choose the clothes we wear for lots of reasons and one of those reasons is how we want to be perceived.

Some people have a better awareness of their own bodies than others and thus they make better fashion choices and look better for it.

So they feel good, feel comfortable and look good because they made the right choice.

Some people are less aware and make a choice that they are happy with but that others will judge them badly for.

Should people be so judgmental is another question but I definitely think people should be more aware of what suits there body type.

• Wear whatever you like, safe in the knowledge that people will form an opinion of you based on the image you chose to present.

• I think it's all about dignity, if you look ridiculous in a bikini because you're too fat then you lose dignity.

Dignity definition: the state or quality of being worthy of honor or respect.
      I judge how honorable and respectful people are by how they treat others, not by what they wear.

I think it's cute you seem to think you're some bastion of morality, but how about not cherry picking to skew a definition to suit your argument?

1. the state or quality of being worthy of honour or respect.
      "the dignity of labour"
      2. a composed or serious manner or style.
      "he bowed with great dignity"

An obese woman in a bikini is a comedic spectacle, it might not be all that nice but if you go to a busy beach and see a really fat woman in a bikini you'll see other people pointing and laughing, she certainly wouldn't be stylistically dignified, provided she wasn't a solypsist the opnion of others would matter. lol

• Just wear what you want. The type of people who say that are just stupid, I wouldn't worry too much about them

• Im a man, i have stretch marks, chubby body, and i give 0 f****. It's the only place you have to live

• Whale spotted ! Lmao

• No woman should wear a bikini, people should learn some modesty and cover themselves up.

• yes, they should. fat women shouldn't wear them. they're not supposed to wear them.

• I would never ever wear anything that I looked embarrassing for standard society.

• How is it different from saying if you're gonna get up and do karaoke, you'd better know how to sing?

People are free to wear what they want, can't really stop them, but others are free to voice their opinions. The fact is not everything is a good look on everyone. That goes for thin people too. If a girl with a model figure wanted to wear shorts and oversized basketball shirt to a pool party, friends would probably advise her to wear a bikini. So it depends. In private, doesn't matter at all what you wear. But in public, generally you want to accentuate your good qualities and at least not call undue attention to your bad ones by flaunting them before others.

• These women are totally dignified in their choice to wear a bikini!

img3.wikia.nocookie.net/.../...oman_in_bikinis.jpg

What Girls Said 12

• People can wear what ever they want, though if you're a couple of pounds over weight to being obese. Most people would be a little disturbed seeing someone in a bikini with a lot of extra fat. Though even if someone is they wouldn't say it to the person really unless their a jerk.

• People can wear what they want to wear but if you don't address appropriately for your body that doesn't stop it from looking bad and it doesn't stop other people from forming their opinions about it.

• I have a ribcage and a pelvis... I got me a body that can wear a bikini... that's the minimum requirement in my book.

• So if people feel comfortable being nude, should they walk around nude too? There's a limit to everything.

But if so those limits should apply to everyone regardless of how attractive they are.

• I agree with you like what the f*ck, let people wear what they want. Your eyes aren't going to fall off if you see someone who's not attractive for your standards. So many people act like special snowflakes all the time, not everyone is trying to please you, deal with it.

• It's stupid. You should wear a bikini because it's much better for your health than a one piece.

I didn't know that, why is it better for your health?

@dogbert444 Would I be right in thinking that's a nudist beach.

@Kaylyne No, but my family frequent some that are not that far away. They're not as good as they used to be. One is very much in the balance as the owners have closed it down as far as the high tide mark. Below high tide, it belongs to the Crown. Mostly stick to clubs now.

• Yeah that stupid.
    "Then why do they have so many sizes?"

• Yeah it's weird to me that people feel they can only wear a bikini if they're in perfect shape.

• Only shallow people say that... I find it very stupid because people shouldn't tell others what to wear. I mean if you don't like it then don't look. People don't wear things for the viewing pleasure of others...

• Yes, I actually consider it stupid.

• I think it's dumb.
    The way I see it is "do you have a body?" yes, then you're beach body ready, or have the body for a bikini or anything else you want to put on that body.

• I feel down today because I wore these comfortable pants which don't really look good on me, as I found out by seeing my reflection on a glass door... actually nothing really fits me.
    Maybe I would look better in a bikini... 10 years ago.

Sorry for venting on here.