Why are there so few male plus sized models?

I've seen a lot of female plus sized models everywhere: on the news, magazines, etc. I've probably seen 1 male plus sized model anywhere. Is it time for more male body types to be represented in modeling?

Most Helpful Girl

• I believe it is because how some third wave radical feminist have been making a fuss about fat shaming and many have begun to get aggressive about it. The movement has become so influential that media and large corporations are thriving off of it and are seeing how having plus sized women models are creating more positive publicity for themselves.

Conclusion: A cycle where radical feminist who feel oppressed because of "fat shaming" get aggressive > leads to businesses creating propaganda about fat shaming > leads to feminist becoming more aggressive about it> leads to businesses getting plus sized models in hopes of positive publicity caused by these riled up radicals > radicals spread "awareness" of these businesses (aka unawarely promoting the business to other radicals) > cycle repeats.

The plus sized models are mostly women because most of the feminist who feel "oppressed" by "fat shaming" are women (or at least the ones who speak about it the most are women).

What Girls Said 8

• I searched up 'male plus sized models' and this was the only guy that showed up:
    media1.s-nbcnews.com/.../...today-inline-large.jpg
    i.guim.co.uk/.../3300.jpg
    img.huffingtonpost.com/.../...160000580431de4d.png
    And how is he 'plus sized'?

• I think that many people ignore the insecurity men can have. I mean, I have seen a hell of a lot more than 1 male model but you're right that there aren't anywhere near as many compared to the amount of female plus sized models.

• Which men do you know who buy fashion magazines, let alone overweight ones. I don't know many, supply and demand.

It has nothing to do with buying magazines. Magazines aren't the only places you see models.

Supply and demand is the point, men aren't interested in fashion all that much.

• Plus sized models for men? Well men should be vocal about it. Start a campaign for it. But actually the body movement already has iya led by mostly gay men who say " mem have curves too"
    Serious look it up. If men want to see plus size men then they need to be vocal about it

• I don't know and I don't really care honestly.

• I don't know. Representation is important so maybe we should change that.

• There's male models?

• Yes, there should be more. I think men should be complaining about this the way women do, if they aren't happy with the situation they need to try and change it.

What Guys Said 9

• Because being plus size is not being model material the only reason women can get away with it is because they're women.

And no I have no desire to see the model world filled with overweight people with unhealthy lifestyles, all it does is promote disease and obesity.

Well one could argue that the current world of modeling promotes anorexia and other eating disorders.

You could and you'd be right but does adding more problems onto the already existing ones really going to make things better?

• Demand and supply, basically. The demand for plus sized men is low.

Also women tend to compare themselves to other women which often makes them feel insecure about their body image, more so than men. Girls tend to be more concerned with body image than boys.
    Which is why you'll see petitions to change the appearance of say Barbey to make her more "realistic" but you won't see one for the incredible hulk, he-man etc.

Most men don't really care about how other men look and simply care about themselves.

I'd have to disagree. Males have insecurities too. Yours is a huge claim to make, saying women feel insecurities more so than men. I'm on the lower spectrum of the BMI, so I'm far from plus size, but I still have insecurities.

I agree with you, men have insecurities over their body image too, but less so than women.

• There is no market for it? Diversity for the sake of it is a load of crap in my mind, especially trivial things like models.

• because women are hypocrites

• I agree , I'm a chubby dude but carry it well and take pride in my appearance. But honestly most women don't find plus size dudes attractive so I think that's why we get no love, you all want a Prince Charming with a six pack and shaved chest lol

• and here comes another plus sized model my take

• You sound like a reverse feminist.

I'm a feminist. I believe in equality for both males and females socially and economically. In different cases, people treat people unfairly due to gender. For males, society is quick to blame them for assault. If a woman physically abuses a man, a lot of people will stand and laugh. When a male does the same, everyone steps in to stop it. I support victims of inequality, regardless of gender.

@HulkkSmash well congratulations you said something right for the first time in your damn life.

@HarvestMoon

Again I have no idea what you're talking about.

• Cuz unlike women, we just don't give a fuck about modelling

• Simply put, plus size women can still be attractive, plus size men not so much.