What does it mean to be "unconventionally beautiful"?

Several people have called me that throughout my life and according to them is a good thing but it sounds sketchy and if you google "unconventional beauty", most of the people who show up are ugly (no offense, it's just my opinion). So is that supposed to be a genuine compliment or is it a nice way of saying I'm ugly as fuck?

• Compliment
  • Ugly

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• I think it's that you have some kind of unique feature that makes you pretty even though that feature wouldn't always be considered pretty if that makes sense. For example if you have a gap in your teeth - on some people that makes them ugly but on you it looks good and works with your looks. I don't think it means you're ugly but I do think it's a weird thing to say to someone lol

That makes sense, I guess. My nose isn't exactly perfect and my eyes are weird. It is strange and I hate when people say it but it's happened at least 5 times.

What Guys Said 6

• An alternative to the eurocentric standards of beauty?

If you're not sure just accepted that you're ugly, that way nobody can hurt your feelings because you know they're only telling the truth. Even though beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

- your mom

• its a compliment. dont worry

• It essentially means an acquired taste

What do you mean? like I'm ugly but once you get used to my face I look ok?

Ugly is just can't get anyone... which you're probably not.

I guess! thanks

• Compliment

• Irrespective of whatever type of beautiful you are, just look at eyes of the people. If its wow look, then dont worry. You are pleasant to their eyes :)

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 11

• It means you aren't considered "beautiful" in society, but you're attractive in your own way. That isn't a bad thing. I mean, not everyone finds the same person beautiful. Beauty to one pair of eyes is average to another.

• It's a way of saying you don't fit typical beauty standards but are still beautiful.

• Basically you're a swan in a crowd of ducks...

• I think they mean you're pretty but not in a traditional way. By that I mean, most girls defined as beautiful have perfect blonde hair, gorgeous blue eyes, skin that may not have pores, a perfect tan, big boobs, etc.

But when someone is pretty and doesn't have blonde hair/blue eyes/etc, people still call them pretty and that's it? don't they?

Yes, I think people are starting to realize pretty doesn't have a cookie cutter shape.

• sounds like a compliment to me

• Its a person not attractive through their looks but through who they are. Their personality is charming and great.

So, ugly?

not really. unconventional means not fitting traditional standards. nowhere I've looked except urban dictionary says ugly but charming.

@xobrowneyedbeauty unconventional means unusual and odd so it can mean typically ugly which is what most places have said. Or can mean pretty in a strange way. I wouldn't say either is a compliment. And there's more than 1 definition that establish.

• This is what urban dictionary says, " a person may not be very beautiful lookswise, but maybe very charming, she's referred to as an unconventional beauty."

To me, Frida Kahlo was unconventionally beautiful

• it's a euphemism for ugly

• It means you are uniquely beautiful

• It means that you are unique looking but pretty, like you dont look like those gorgeous models or celebrities with those perfect conventional facial features but you're beautiful...

An uncoventional beauty may have exaggerated features like a huge nose or very wide lips or no lips at all or oddly small or big eyes but still look pretty

Why a conventional beauty has perfectly portioned facial features like nice slim nose perfect eyes and nice feminine plump lips etc.

While* put it this way a unconventional beauty may be beautiful to certain groups of people but not to the whole

Thanks. That makes sense

• i think they mean you don't fit in the "barbie girl" standard of beauty. I mean, that's what comes to mind when you say conventional. You are beautiful, just not according to what was traditionally imposed by society.