Would it be okay for me to use small amounts of coconut oil on my face?

I recently bought a face soap thats supposed to be really good for acne. The website I ordered it from didn't list coconut oil in the ingredients but now that I got it it says it does have coconut oil. I used coconut oil in the past for about a week everyday and I broke out very very horribly, so im afraid to use this soap. do you think even very small amounts mixed with other things will break me out? When i used coconut oil before i used quite a bit before it broke me out.

Most Helpful Girl

• try on a small area of your face and see what happens,,, personally i can use coconut oil on my face but not on my scalp >:( oh hell no!!! it makes my scalp itchy af >:( (the only way i can use it on my scalp would be to mix it with some other oil... but NOT on its own

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 6

• Coconut oil is actually very good with acne because it has such antibacterial properties. Sometimes when you switch products and you begin to break out its due to your skin actually detoxing from the bad stuff. I recently switched to a tea tree face wash and I had the WORST acne for almost a month. Why because my face was getting clean. Now no more acne due to the fact that my face had to purge all the gunk underneath the surface.

I do know about the "purging" period but this was different. I got acne in places that I usually dont have any. Even though coconut oil is very good for your skin and doesn't cause break out for a lot of people it still has a high comedogenic rating and I have very acne prone skin. When I used coconut oil i went from having about 20 pimples a day to over 100 (yes i counted). My skin is much better now my average is 3 pimples a day and I dont to take step back after the progress I have made. Since i will be usimg much less amounts of it than I did in the past i just want to make sure it would be okay knowing that coconut oil breaks me out

Alright thanks ill try it out and hope for the best! I also cut out dairy and stopped using acne products which cleared up most of my acne but i still get some pimples and cysts and am skeptical of using an oil with such a high comedogenic rating

Then use something else. Or stop being hung up on it. If you don't want to use it, then don't.

• You'll be fine. Try it out and if you break out switch. Coconut oil directly on the face does cause acne lmfao

• there was probably something else you were eating or using that could have broken you out.

I am sure it was the coconut oil. It has a high comedogenic rating and I have acne prone skin. My skin cleared after i stopped using it and I eat very healthy and am aware of the foods that break me out

than you quite possibly answered your own question. Don't use it if you're so sure it caused it...

I know but when i was using in the past i was trying out the oil cleansing method and that requires a lot of oil while the soap has much smaller amounts than I used then and I have heard that oil breaks you out if you use too much. I just wanted to know if it would be okay using small amounts

• Its in the soap so its not like putting actual oil on your face

• Oil?

Yes there are non-comedogenic oils out there that are really good for your skin, I use it as a moisturizer. I heard coconut oil was good but I made the mistake of not checking its comedogenic rating before using it

• It's a face soap, so I doubt it will break out. In the past, you used pure coconut oil on your face, you didn't use the soap version, that's why it didn't work.