I am a 21 yr-old woman (nearing 22), but I have the appearance of a middle/high school student. Does anyone have some advice?

Okay, so you know my dilemma. However, there are some factors to take into consideration when answering this: the first is that I am the youngest and only girl among my siblings. This meant I grew up wearing men's clothing, more often than I did women's (loose t-shirts because they are comfortable, and in all honesty, only started wearing make-up recently. Just to cover up tiny things, not a full on mask or make-over). The second is that my work requires me to dirty my hands, mostly with motor oil, so I don't have the luxury of keeping up appearances while my head's under a car. However, there are nights were my friends and I go to bars and have a girl's night out. (That means I own at least one dress). What I want to know is how I can appear my age without leaving my comfort zone: clothes that are flattering but comfortable, perhaps some tips on make-up. Some people may think this is actually good in the long run, but it is a problem when the police pull me over because I look like a child. Please help me. I want honest and clean advice. I've run into several people with this problem and none of us can find a solution.

Most Helpful Guy

• This is a Private Opinion
    Only the asker and the opinion owner can view it. Learn more

Most Helpful Girl

• I definitely understand your dilemma. I'm 24 years old, but am constantly told that I resemble a 12-year old. (Well, until I got my nose pierced earlier this year. Then the comments died down a bit since it's usually an 18+ thing). My personal favorite moment was when a bar owner actually pulled the bartender to the side to ask them if they ID'd me and if it was a fake or not. Then the owner walked up to me and said "say sweetie, has anyone ever told you you look EXACTLY like a 12-year old?"

It's very maddening. I also wear loose-fitting clothing (t-shirts, jeans) since I work with my hands (lifting, wiring, carpentry) a lot as well.

Like Powdude43 said, cutting your hair will definitely age you a bit. It helped with me (just DON'T get bangs - they make you look MUCH younger). Makeup is not a necessity, but if you can get your hands on some decent foundation, eyeliner and mascara, you'll be set. A little makeup goes a long way, and frankly I still don't know if I'm applying it correctly. But adding definition to your eyes can help age you. I'd stick with whatever clothes you're comfortable in, perhaps a nice blouse over some decent jeans for a night out. Dresses really aren't necessary.
    Best of luck!

What Guys Said 12

• My daughter had the same problem. Sh was asked for ID until she was 29. She had problems with it too. after they stopped asking, she suddenly didn't like that they thought she looked older. The bottom line is that there are a lot of men and women in your situation that don't like it like you. I don't understand why it is a problem when the police pull you over. They ask for your license.

"My daughter... until she was 29"

And you're 44?

@redeyemindtricks You caught me! You are the first person on here to catch that when I reference something that shows I must be older. You are also the oldest (not saying you are old) person to respond to anything I've said here. Okay, are you ready? I'm 64. I started at that age, but people on here seem to thik if you are my age, you know nothing. I've had two peolpe tell me that I'm too old at 44. I don't feel I'm doing anything that matters because what I say is not age specific. What I say comes from my experiences and knowledge. I had a 23 year old woman tell me that, at 44, I'm not supposed to be on the site. My daughter is 44 now.

• ok immediately get rid of all loose t-shirts, they are the most unattractive thing in the world. Things like hoodies, sweater dresses, tights, leggings (even leather ones), blazers, turtlenecks (form fitted)... they are all your friend. Really just well fitted clothes will make you look like an adult.

• I hate to say this, since I'm not a fan, but do you keep your hair long? Cutting it shorter makes one look older.

I have thought of cutting it short, but I don't want to give up the option of being able to put my hair in braids and other various styles.

It doesn't have to be a pixie cut, but above-shoulder adds years. Braids definitely make one look younger.

• dont worry about it... when you are in your 30s out with your friends you will be the one getting all the attention

• Learn how to use this to your greater advantage instead... I did and my world is incredible because of it

• Just be your self. Forget what others have to say.

• Y'know it isn't a bad thing. If you get pulled over or caught up at the movies for an R rated movie or something just present ID. Apart from that, at least when you are 50 you will look 30 or 40.

• Baby face are nice if u look good with it

• am the except same except genetics blessed me with a beard

• drink milk and jump rope

• Don't worry, you will look older too soon ;)
    Avoid styles associated with childs like bangs or childish cloths.
    Maybe you can convince your female friends to do a beauty session with you where they try different make-up styles on you.

• Your baggy clothing is not helping.

What Girls Said 6

• I wear boys clothes a lot cause they're comfortable but I wear girly things when I go out. I do look a little younger than what I am but I have tattoos so it's not that bad. My tip is don't go for comfortable. If you're going out, dress up and make the effort. Comfortable makes you look a lot younger. Also yeah get your hair trimmed and wear some makeup. Simply smokey eyes usually help.

• People still think im in highschool. I see it as a blessing because ill look young longer. I tried dressing more " adult like" Pants , top , heels very monochrome in color. But it only last for like 3 years. Im a skirt, dress wearing girl who likes ruffles, floews, bright colors and cute and pretty things. Just embrace it. You can contour your cheeks a little to give you a more hollow angular look it puts years on you.

• - clothes: try wearing more classic pieces. Teenagers wear trendy items but grown women wear classic ones.
    - hair - avoid bangs and again anything too trendy
    - make up - I don't apply any so I don't really know. Maybe red lipstick.

• SAME!!! but i just turned 23 and look like im 18 lol

• Don't worry. I'm a college student and I look like I'm 12. Makeup helps, but baby faces are just something you can't get rid of. Except with time.

• Dont worry about and enjoy it the way I do. You should become an escort and dress in school uniforms and cheerleader outfits, my clients love that because I look like jailbait but am not.