How to avoid getting split ends on my hair?

My hair is non-dyed, fine texture, wavy and oily. I use a blow drier often, but I use heat protection spray with silicone. I also use hair masks on the ends 3 times per week, and hair oil often. I try to get them longer, but I get split ends around every 2 months, then I have to trim them.

2mo I'd like some more opinions. thanks

Most Helpful Girl

• I would say to avoid every possible thing that's bad for your hair and to try every good thing that will benefit your hair. It's good that you use masks and trim every two months, keep doing it. Where you went wrong here, is often using the blow dryer and using a silicone based product. If I were you I would avoid these two. Let your hair air dry and only use sulfate free products. There is this important rule to be gentle with the hair when it's wet. When it's wet don't brush it and don't rub it with a towel. Speaking of towel, the fibers found on a regular towel are a bit damaging, so a waffle luxe towel by Aquis is a far better replacement. It is an enhanced alternative with ultra fine fiber channels that dries the hair gently with no heat needed. Just like your towel, replace your pillowcase as well. Silk pillowcases are said to be better for the hair as they keep it hydrated. Last but not least, don't neglect a good diet. The common 10 foods that are healthy for the hair are: walnuts, salmon, spinach, eggs, sweet potatoes, lentils, almonds, cabbage, soybeans, and almonds.

I don't get it about silicone.. Some people say it makes hair smooth and shiny, and others say it's harmful. Why? And why sulfates are harmful? actually I haven't done much research on shampoo ingredients. What I use is that one
      dam.loreal-paris.co.uk/.../...alancing-shampoo.jpg

My reply was too long I ran of characters, lol.
      Okay, to finish what I've got to say. The best shampoo for you from the Ever series is EverStrong, since you mentioned you have fine hair I think it should help. You could always try salon products special for you hair, as they're better quality.
      images.ulta.com/is/image/Ulta/2255066?$detail$

thanks!

What Guys Said 3

• Use keratin / cholesterol products. I used to use Lustrasilk and would go through $7 worth of that stuff a week because I had real long loosely curled hair.

looks like a good shampoo but I can't find it in greece

OK...
      This is what I bought:
      "Lustrasilk Aloe Vera Cholesterol"
      ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41e4GRP73%2BL.jpg
      It's a detangler, not a shampoo. I'd wash my hair with Nexxus or Redken or something like that and use a conditioner, but then I would add this stuff.

You might be able to buy it from Amazon and have it shipped to Greece, but the price on Amazon is very expensive. I found it at a site called Bonanza for about $12. I also saw a place called NaturallyCurly who allegedly had it for $4. I was paying about $7, but this was 18 years ago...

Also, sometimes I would use LeKair's version if they were out of Lustrasilk.

However, I am concerned that they may not be making it anymore. Doing research on the Internet is giving me conflicting signals.

Yasss definitely embrace those curls and reduce heat!

• Might be something in here
    www.hairbuddha.net/.../

• Oh goodness... this is the closest I come :-(
    Do not put this in practice, your present hairstyle is far too beautiful!
    www.schminkspecialist.nl/.../kblh29-625x638.jpg

I could shave it off indeed.. However I don't think it would look very good.

Joking! I tried to have my hair short but it didn't look good.

Yeah my feeling also says you'd look best with at least half long hair, to just below the shoulder :D

What Girls Said 6

• The only real way to avoid getting split ends is to get your hair trimmed regularly. Some of us just have hair that is easily broken and split, and unless you never style it, never brush it, etc, then you'll always have split ends.

You can however stop using a regular hairbrush and switch to a wide toothed comb, and use detangling spray before you comb it out. This minimizes breakage.

• Some hair is just predisposed to get split ends.
    I never get them, but then again, I never use a blow drier... or anything else for that matter, except occasional hot curlers... (once every few months)

yes, my hair always get split ends.. But it's better now than when I used to straighten my hair every day as a teen

• Stop blow drying so often. Towel dry then let air dry or if you have to blow dry try to do it on low

I use heat protection though

thanks!

No problem!
      I use to blow dry and straighten every 2 weeks but when I was trying to grow out my hair I reduced it to once a month. Now I do it every 2 to 4 months and it's made a big difference

• I used to get splited ends too , I stop getting them until I went to the hair salon to get hair treatment it should be $25 every month you should try it. It worked on me

what kind of hair treatment?

It's called Nanoma max treatment it moisture and nourish your hair. The salon I go to is in jcpenny hair salons. Just tell the hair stylist and they will tell you the proper product you need.

• it's natural that you get split ends in two months, that's how often it's recommended for you to cut them. it doesn't have to be much, just half an inch so you can 'refresh' your hair.

• Silicone is excellent for smoothing hair and keeping it straight but it can cause build up which means your treatments aren't even really working or sinking into the hair shaft. Use less heat, are you blow drying to get it straight or just to dry it? If it's to get it straight, try some no heat hair straightening methods, and let your hair air dry.
    What oil are you using?
    You may also need a protein treatment to help strengthen hair, not only moisture treatments.

I use l'oreal elvive extraordinary oil, sometimes the regular one and sometimes the mist for oily hair.
      What is a protein treatment? I usually put a moisturizing hair mask on the ends after every wash

Yes, it's just like your hair mask. You just leave it on a while then wash out.
      Just don't do it as often as your usual mask, too much protein can also cause breakage, but it's important to use especially if you're using heat so often, it's very strengthening.
      There are different ones you can use, some are stronger but not really recommend unless you truly need it, and others are lighter and you're able to use it more frequently and less chances of accidentally using too much of it.
      You'll know if you need a stronger one if your hair is super easy to break. Majority in normal shops are not too strong anyway, so don't worry.

I would really advise trying less heat though. Honestly can get quite straight without heat if you get technique right (look on YouTube maybe)
      And if it's not as straight as you like and you still use heat after, you'll need less heat because it's half done already, so I really recommend trying. It will probably help more than most products will.

Just got a random one from YouTube for you. Didn't watch all of it, so sorry don't know exactly how it turned out but looked quite good from what I saw. She does it overnight while she sleeps. So simple.
      https://youtu.be/m1RO-d1Z9Hs