Do you think this is wrong?

I went to dress barn to buy a homecoming dress and this is what I see:
Do you think this is wrong?
Discrimination, what about skinny people? Now I don't know where to get a dress.

• It's wrong, they should carry 00 and up
  • It's okay because not enough by the small sizes
  • Results

Most Helpful Guy

• Supply and demand. You're not their target audience and that's okay. It's their business, they can sell whatever works for them.

Most Helpful Girl

• They don't have sizes above 24 either so no it's not discriminating. It's practical business only inventory what will sell the fastest. 6 months max and the dress is out of style anyway and committed to the clearance racks. There are specialty shops that specialize in petites and shops that specialize in plus sizes.

What Guys Said 20

• Its not wrong. They are not a speciality dress store. They are a retail chain store. They are only going to carry what sizes sell. Their goal is to make money. Not serve to everyone needs. Its no cost efficient for them to carry all sizes cuz they'd never sell.

• I don't think it's wrong since they've marked it clearly outside. Loads of other places sell slim sizes i'm sure, you might just need to go travel a little further. Is there city centre or large shopping mall nearby?

Yeah, it's just annoying because I went all the way there and saw that on the front.

I feel ya 👍, these days i research literally every shop online before stepping out the door, basically no website = no custom from me

• it's a shop and their goal is to sell as much as possible. if they think they can do more money this way... then that's their good right to do so. every shop has a target audience they try to address and for this one skinny people are not part of it. this one is clearly advertising with it... so just go to a another one. it's not like this is the only store in the US who sells dresses.

• Very surprising - You would think they would have the full range

• Nah, it's like shoes in some stores. They only carry certain sizes because usually the bigger sizes 13+ is rare to sell.

But size 0-2 is not that rare..

Maybe only girls who are by average bigger than 0-2 don't really shop there. Upper management usually have statistics about that shit and that's what they buy. Welcome to capitalism, everyone's cheap as fuck.

• Fucking feminists. Soon they'll have bras for men. Bullshit.

• Amazon?

• Shoe stores never carry my shoe size either.. We should protest.

• I don't think its wrong because:
    1. They marked it at the front, it would be wrong if they enticed you in and they don't have your size and it makes you feel bad
    2. There's probably more and more stores (online and in the mall) that offer a broader range of sizes so there is choice for the ones that are outside the usual range
    So, I don't really think its wrong but they could make an effort to have at least a small section for other sizes outside the usual range (they would get more sales out of it too hahah)

• Demand and supply rules this world. Most of their sales must have been happening within that range. And because of space problems and due to lack of sales , they may not want to keep other products. They are not discriminating. But they are trying to increase their business profitability by only trying to offer what they can sell well. You can go to some other shop. Market is full of competitors. How do skinny models get to buy good fitting clothes? Because there are many places where such clothes are available.

• ... just go to another store or use the fucking Internet to buy clothes

• Clothing is a very expensive industry. Someone who is a certain type of model told me that many designers are considering size 6 to be the new average

• 4-24

Yup I definitely know what that means. K BRB sitting down for National Anthem

• People need to stop thinking so much of themselves that they feel they should be included.

There's nothing wrong with a business catering to whatever size, shape or length they wish.

• I don't see the problem here

The issue is that's the only dress store that's near my house and it doesn't sell my size 😞

That's like a store selling everything except your size, you wouldn't be annoyed?

Anyways, someone told me they were specialized for curvy people so I feel dumb haha

i wouldn't be annoyed, i would simply go "naaaaaaaaaaaaaah fuck it... next store"

• haha.. get over it.

• you're a model or at least a former model, if i remember, right? right?

well, not all stores cater to all sizes. that's just how they roll

• Yeah, I mean 24 is a big-ass dress size, right? You would think they would carry a few of the smaller sizes. They must be trying to cater to the average person, who is significantly overweight. It kind of sucks, though, that you're effectively being punished for taking good care of yourself.

• It's they're shop, they're allowed to sell what the want tbh.

What Girls Said 12

• ow well that s quite a pickle :/
    start protesting in front of the store
    lol now srsly, just go to another shop

• Good to forever 21. They carry size tiny and tinier.

• It is annoying at times when you wear a size 00-0-2 that you're limited however not a lot of stores carry sizes above 18-20 so bigger people are more limited than us on the bigger side so I don't think it's fair to get offended by it when they are completely fine.

• Story of my life lol. It's hard to find local stores that fit 0-2. I shop mostly online cuz of that.

And your taller than a lot of women does that take in affect at all too sug? 😛

If you ever make it out to the actual sample sales for these brands (like, the real SAMPLE sales, which in America are normally only in NY -- as opposed to warehouse sales, which are commonly [and mistakenly] referred to as "sample sales"), that's where they actually sell all of the old pre-production and buyers'-show samples. If you are into these brands enough, then, at yr height, it would actually be well worth the trip out to NY for the sales if you have the fortitude to stand in line for 24 hours or whatever.

@redeyemindtricks hmm I'm not sure than why things never seem to be too short. They usually fit me like they do in the pictures. It could be cuz I'm pretty balanced between legs and torso. But I dunno!

• How the hell is this discrimination? They're a privately owned store, they can carry whatever sizes they want. We wouldn't call it discrimination if a bakery didn't want to carry strawberry pies, would we? If it bothers you, shop elsewhere.

• #skinnygirlproblems
    can't relate

• its alright i guess

• Not all brand can carry all size (money problem, not enough people would buy it, etc..). In my country it's the other ways around in general brand don't sell clothes bigger than a L.
    You should just find another brand.

• I don't see what the problem is... vary few people are below a size 4... Are they also discriminating against people above a size 24?

• That's descrimination !

• I thinks it's totally fine, there are MILLIONS of stores that carry all the way to 00. Plus, I think dress barn caters more to adult mature women. Try a place that caters more towards young adults and teens like Macy's, Nordstrom, forever21, or TJmax.

Ok thanks 😊 I already checked TJmaxx and macy's and didn't find anything. I'll look at the other two.

• Lmao!!! Seriously? You are mad because a store that typically only sells to women who are "heavier" don't sell size 00? Go to any store that sells clothes for everyone. Go to any mall Im sure you will find a store with your size. FYI ladies Dress Barn sells for women with curves, if you are a size 00 or what not go elsewhere (really a lot of people sell those sizes)

Really? I didn't know that... I thought they were just being rude

No there are actually a number of stores that only sell plus size like there are plenty who sell small sizes or regular sizes. We have a dress barn nearby and they sell nice clothes but for the curvier girls. I dont think in recent years a store discriminated against sizes unless its some no name boutique in like NYC or some other city like that.