Should we avoid horizontal strips when buying clothes?

A lot of people say that horizontal strips make you look smaller and fatter. I ordered a new sweatshirt and showed it to my mom. She said it was a very bad choice.
Should we avoid horizontal strips when buying clothes?Although, there are a lot of studies that say it's just a myth (while a few support it), but still... what do you think?

• Yes, it makes your body look unattractive
    37% (23)40% (12)38% (35)Vote
  • No, it's just a myth
    63% (39)60% (18)62% (57)Vote
And you are? I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0
16|11

Most Helpful Girl

• It depends on your body shape. If you're fat, don't wear horizontal stripes. If you're tall and skinny, they'll give you a better look. Like, tall skinny people shouldn't wear vertical stripes.

Like your picture there, she's tall and skinny, so horizontal stripes look good and vertical don't.

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Maybe for very long clothes that's true, but on the other hand horizontal stripes could look someone with a kilo too much really voluminous :o
    So I think it's "case sensitive" like IT guys call it :D

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 15

• I got both types, stripy clothes and ribbed, can't see a difference at all. Then again Im pretty slim anyway and will mostly look so no matter what I wear. Both types do make my ass look bigger though... Maybe that says something.

Anyhow, I love stripy :D

1|1
    0|0
  • They might make you look shorter and fatter, but they also make your boobs look bigger, so someone who is healthy shouldn't have any problem wearing horizontal stripes. I like both horizontal and vertical, so it doesn't matter to me.

0|0
    0|0
  • There can be good and bad striped patterns, so I can't say anything about your shirt without seeing it. Regarding the pic you posted though, I would not choose vertical black and white stripes unless I was a referee of some game, lol.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't think it's true, I've never noticed a difference.

0|0
    0|0
  • Just looks weird.

0|0
    0|0
  • Although vertical stripes are way more flattering, it wouldn't hurt to wear horizontal stripes.

1|0
    0|0
  • Makes you look like a prisoner lol

1|1
    0|0
  • i have a dress just like the left one

0|0
    0|0
  • Only if your not skinny

0|0
    0|0
  • No it doesn't make you look unattractive

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't like stripes at all tbh 😕

0|0
    0|0
  • Its a myth

0|0
    0|0
  • I agree that at times, and with certain clothing items that it can look a little horrendous and make someone appear larger, but I have a few extremely cute tops that have horizontal stripes, so it can't be with all clothes :)

0|0
    0|0
  • i would say that it makes most people look unfit

0|0
    0|0
  • that dress is just an awful example, I have a stripped crop top (like the one in the pic below) and I've been complimented more than once 😊
    cdn2.picvpicimg.com/.../...ped-crop-top-screen.jpg

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 10

• I think striped tops can work
    famousoutfits.com/.../horizontal-stripes-03.jpg

0|0
    0|0
  • I just buy what is the most visually pleasing to me. If someone doesn't like my superman shirt, they can go back to their batcave.

0|0
    0|0
  • if you wear a shirt with horizontal stripes then i believe it can make your shoulders look wider which is good for a man.

0|0
    0|0
  • The reason you don't wear them is because they look stupid

0|0
    0|0
  • Horizontal stripes look great and people with narrower shoulders and waist
    I look terrible in anything striped my shoulders are too broad

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't know but I don't wear them because I simply don't like the look of it

0|0
    0|0
  • No, it's just a myth

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm pretty tall so all of my horizontal stripped shirts look good on me

0|0
    0|0
  • Nah, dat silly.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes I've heard this before too and it does seem to matter just like fat people dressing all black sometimes to hide it

0|0
    0|0
    • 2mo

I was thinking horizontal stripes probably make some people look like the Michelin man , lol