Why are SOME people so opposed to makeup if it makes people happy?

I feel like some people have really harsh views on makeup and totally bash people who tend to wear heavier makeup. (Or even in some cases, any makeup at all.) But honestly, if it doesn't effect you in any way and makes the other person happy... why be so mean about it?Why are SOME people so opposed to makeup if it makes people happy?
The photo isn't mine or of me, but it's just an example.

2mo I see a lot of you are saying that wearing makeup means you're insecure. Furthermore, that if you're insecure you just should be happy with yourself and stop using makeup. However, girls are portrayed in media to always have flawless faces... you can't just tell someone to love their self when there's so much telling them not to.
Also makeup can damage your skin, but not to the extreme some of you are describing it. If you actually use makeup correctly & take care of your skin, you're fine.

Most Helpful Guy

• Three reasons:

1. Excessive makeup looks trashy, slutty, trampish, etc. Many people really detest that look on anyone.

2. Heavy makeup suggests the possibility that someone has difficulty accepting themselves as they really are, and that is a sign which portends potentially even greater problems.

3. Excessive make-up sometimes has the effect of misleading people about how you really look. Some of us place a big value on truth-in-advertising.

A lot of people aren't happy with their teeth so they get braces. A lot of men don't like their facial hair so they shave it off. A lot of women think they look better with makeup so they apply it on their skin. People can do whatever they what with their bodies and you should mind your own business.

I always tend to like it if people express themselves through makeup. I don't like certain makeup looks, I do like others, but mainly, it's a choice and I like how it can make us all a bit different. It's boring if everyone just tries to look the same.

"You can't just tell someone to love their self when there's so much telling them not to." Are you saying that you don't have the strength to make your own decisions?

Most Helpful Girl

• It's probably jealousy. Many girls are very competitive against other girls and do not like it if they feel threatened or intimidated by another girl (if they feel she is more attractive than they are). I've also seen a lot of bitter men who seem to despise makeup, and I think that is probably because they didn't stop to realize that a girl will look different without it, so they feel like they were tricked. Either that or they're mad because women have an easy way to cover blemishes and make their faces more attractive, but it isn't as socially acceptable for men to wear makeup, so they pretty much have to make do with the cards they were dealt.

What Guys Said 36

• im not opposed to it, its just i have seen enough women on tv and in person that seem too put make up on by the shovel fulls.

like this
    www.jesus-is-savior.com/.../tammy_faye_bakker.jpg

hw does anyone stay happy or get happy wearing so much? its
    not rocket science but its crazy to need so much make up. i dont see any happy thoughts wearing that much make up.

the picture your showing are really good ways to wear it and i like all the photos but over doing it like that lady is just insane.

• You have the right to wear makeup, others have the right to have an opinion.
    Your makeup doesn't hurt them; their opinions don't hurt you.
    Why care about what other people think?

• If a girl needs make up to be happy then she isn't a girl worth being with to me. It tells me she feels better, more confident, with an artificial look than her own skin, therefore, insecure about her looks.

Don't get me wrong. I have no problem with girls that wear makeup. It is an art just like drawing, painting, or photography, and some girls really get into it. While I love a girl that doesn't wear make up, it doesn't bother me if they do as long as it isn't excessive and obsessive.

For eyes, I wear different make up almost every day because I see it as 'art' and optional too. Sometimes nothing, sometimes heavy, sometimes I try certain shapes that make my eyes look sweeter or bigger or more sensual.

I have acne scars Im ashamed of though and don't dare to go out without concealer. I make sure it doesn't look cakey and feel kinda bad for not daring to go outside without hiding them. Would that make you think less of me?

@Felinegirl I'm sorry to interrupt the discussion between you two. I just wanted to tell you that if people treat you good just because you wear makeup then they're being fake to you and I don't see how you can accept that. I never wear makeup and people still treat me good and even if someone think I'm inferior because I don't use all those products and try to cover my flaws, I simply laugh it off. Please keep in mind that when you accept your flaws and imperfections, people won't know how to reach you or mock you. Because we're all ugly ax much as we're beautiful. Besides, love, respect, power, they're all earned. Not brought through a mask of chemicals.

@LilahSteph I have severe acne. It's the only thing I use make up for daily. It looks quite intense if I go barefaced. The spots are flat though, so they're easy to hide. If my skin was normal I'd happily go without makeup and only use it if I felt like dolling up.

• Make-up damages your face, it's proven to damage skin, and the more you use it, the worse it is. How happy is it going to make you when you prematurely wrinkle? Well don't worry, those make-up companies will be happy to sell you anti-wrinkle cream for the next 40 years. Why do you think all these women complain that they start wrinkling up by age 29 while the average man keeps his looks into his 40's or 50's? Because men don't wear make-up. The more you use it, the more you'll need it and yet the less it'll help EVERY YEAR.

P. S. most guys prefer the natural look, but it doesn't matter, girls don't wear make-up to impress guys, they do it to intimidate other women, which just goes to show, the old wive's tale is true after all: The meaner you are, the faster your beauty fades.

• Because they consider you naturally beautiful and because they would rather admire your face without any makeup.

• Reading the opinions below... It seems like such a touchy subject for girls. Non the less I know some girls prefer no make. Some love putting it on because they think it's fun. Some do it just to bring out the beauty inside. And some on rare occasions overdue it like older women that draw on their own eyebrows. Makeup is just materials applied to the face to enhance features of the face. girls waste money on makeup, clothes and shoes. Guys waste money on video games, cars/trucks and building muscles (which isn't cheap if you go the gym and protein shake route). It really doesn't freaking matter as long as the person that is putting the makeup on themselves is happy. As long as the guy lifting weights is happy with the end results. 9_9

• True it doesn't matter to me how much makeup other people wear if it makes them happy. I just know I'm not dating someone who needs to cake on pounds of makeup to make them look the best they can.

• It's guys saying whatever they think will make women feel more at ease. Because makeup takes money and work, they bash it to seem like they are nice guys who want to make your life a little easier.

You keep wearing makeup, you don't want any part in the "men" I just mentioned.

Ever hear of a little thing called buyers remorse? Usually a product of dishonest marketing and advertising. Makeup on an insecure or ugly girl is no different, you're sure the product works alright but it no longer registers in your mind as valuable as you'd originally expected.

• You're allowed to do it if it makes you feel good if that's what you want to do.

But you can't insist other people find it attractive. If they don't like it, then they don't like it. People have their own opinions

• Ok well maybe this will seem a little mean but maybe at least some ladies who have made bad decisions when they've been drunk will understand.

Nobody wants to go to bed with a 9 and wake up with a 5.

I don't necessarily agree that makeup is bad but that's the big reason. The other reason I can think of is that it inflates girls egos and makes them think they're better than men who they're really equal to. There's some truth in that but it doesn't apply to all women.

Regardless, I don't completely agree or disagree with these people so don't think I'm spouting my own personal feelings here.

• I'm not opposed, but I do find it can be deceptive. I just don't see it as necessary, I'd find an average looking girl with no make-up much more attractive than a girl that looks gorgeous with her face drawn on like Mr. Potato head.

• I personally hate makeup because it ruins the natural attractiveness of people. In all cases, it's lipstick on a pig. In the sense that lipstick makes you look like a pig with lipstick, regardless of whether you're a pig or not. Makes sense?

Also I dislike that wearing makeup reinforces the idea that you only look "pretty" if you're full caked. As if without paint, people were incapable of being attractive. Hmph. I would say this belief is detrimental.

• I agree with you it is the comfort and happiness of the make up wearer that is most important but my preference is for a look that seems to be light or no make up.

• I don't like when women use make-up to completely change how they look, like sometimes a girl does not look like how they do with make-up.

But do I don't like make-up on women? No of course not, it is completely fine and some girls look at it as art. But if it completely changes your look (you kinda have to be caked though) then I don't like that.

• Because your happiness is based on a lie to yourself and everyone around you. If you're not comfortable and happy as yourself then you're not going to truly be happy by wearing a mask and pretending that the world is one big happy place. You can't fool yourself and you're not fooling anyone else. We all know you're an insecure sack of crap, and its not our job to make your life great, that shit's on you.

@Cream-Puff You improve by fixing not by hiding. It takes work to create something better. The harder you work the greater the reward. Easy way out will always be little more than plywood over a sinkhole.

by fixing you mean plastic surgery? lol make is much cheaper and less risky. You're right it takes skills to do a perfect winged eyeliner smh.

• Drugs make people happy too. Doesn't mean it's healthy.

comparing makeup and drugs seems excessive.

Yeah, covering your face in toxic waste just to stop hating yourself isn't really healthy, is it

Some drugs are relatively harmless. I did truffles once, best experience ever and doesn't leave any damage.

• Don't worry about snarky people. They are unhappy and feel a need to bring you down to their level. The best thing to do is just avoid socializing with them.

• In my opinion, less is more more or less. If you NEED make up then I take that as a red flag you're not happy with yourself. Fake-up is a tell... I'd question what else are you hiding? Is that a push up bra also? How high are those heels? Seems like somebody is happy with herself...

• It's fine. She can wear all she wants. The problem begins when she parades around town acting like a 8 demanding men that are 9's when in fact she's really a 7

• I'm not against people wearing make-up if they want to. You do what you want. I mean heck, I wear make-up. I just think it needs to be prioritised less in favour of better skin care instead.

• i hear many women and men alike in real life hating on make up on a regular basis. its mostly women though.

• Why not? I don't blame you because women need it before they even go out of house. Gotta cover up those feminazi features ya know...

• My Bitch ex ( trust me it's valid) didn't wear it and she got bullied for it and she didn't want to give in even after school
    So she hasn't let it go and moved on even tho she would love it. My current girlfriend does but can't do anything without it because she has anxiety stuff
    I really feel sorry for her and hope she can learn soon she went to the corner shop without some so she is getting much better. Hope this helps

• I'm fine with makeup, just the less, the better for me. I don't want to have to go to bed with a pix axe.

• Without make up I can kiss my girl to check or other places, I like natural girls but this doesn't mean I am against make up. Actully I don't care at all, but if I can have my say I prefer no makeup because you also see the girl as it is don't get lied by makeup, also kissing etc is way better touching.

• cause if some girls wear makeup and look good wearing it and the guys like it then all the other guys will demand the girls use make up so not using it seems easier to them they are simply jealous nothing more nothing less.

• Many people see it as a form of misrepresentation or lying.

• She looks better "without", but she is clearly wearing makeup in all pics bc all white women over 19 are hideous

• Just go full geisha

• nothing better to do I guess

• More from Guys
    6

What Girls Said 48

• Here's why I think people have a problem with it

1) It's a "Lie". When you go out in public, meet people, socialize or you're with your boyfriend, they don't see the real you. So, you "Surprise" Them if they see you without makeup.
    2) People believe you may have a heavy reliance on makeup instead of just being proud of who you are without it.
    3) It offends people, or mainly women, because it greatly amplifies the so-called standard of beauty to something unrealistic.
    4) Some women look like clowns and it can be distracting or over exaggerated.
    5) It's way too time consuming
    6) Some people don't support makeup becuase of animal testing. I think I once heard that makeup or mascara came from bat poop or something.
    7) Damages your skin overtime.

That's all I can think of.

Also your project an ideal image of yourself, when your kids are born there gonna look like how you look without make up on so either your gonna have to teach them to hid your flaws like you or teach them how to love themselves.

• IRL most guys don't care as long as it's not overdone.

• The only people who hate makeup (at least from what I gather on this site) are people who see those side-by-side dramatic comparisons or assume that if you wear makeup you're an automatic cake face.

OR

They are the dudes who think that girls in natural makeup are what girls really look like without makeup. I've reversed image searched dudes who posted "pretty natural girls" only to find that the pictures they put up, the girls had makeup on. It's the same with hair colour, they say they like natural, then post a picture of a woman with dyed and high lighted hair. Lol.

They are ill informed.

Girls that act like makeup is improving there looks is basically saying me without make up is not good enough. So who are they to tell there daughters not to get breast implants or wear makeup.

@Mesonfielde Sure, but, lots and lots and lots of guys would.

Even more commonly, guys are willing to frustrate their own tastes -- in other words, to forgo what they ARE most sexually attracted to -- to *avoid ridicule or ostracism* from other men.
      Like, I've known a couple of guys who secretly get off to bigger women -- either "plumpers" or, in one case, genuinely fat women -- but who would NEVER be willing to actually date a bigger woman openly, because of the "judgment" they'd be afraid of receiving. (From whom? Their buddies? These guys don't work in industries where wives play a heavy role in entertaining or socializing with other women, so, that's not an issue in these cases as it admittedly could be in some others.)

How odd. I'd never want to compromise on attraction. Those guys should clearly stop being so insecure and be more confident about their own decisions. Ah well, that's their loss :P

• I've never experienced people having an issue with make up IRL. It seems to be an internet issue for me. There's a false perception that just because you wear makeup, you must look like a different person without it. Now as someone who wears makeup almost daily, I do not comprehend how much make up a girl has to put on to look completely different. Maybe it's cause I don't do all that contour stuff but for me, I see no huge difference and neither has any guy I've ever been with. My boyfriend actually loves the fact that I make a effort with my appearance and to him makeup is no big deal. He loves me with or without. Makeup can only do so much.

• I know that I bash it because I'm a hater. I'm natural. I've never worn make up in my life 1) because I can't, my skin is far too sensitive and 2) because I have no idea how to apply it. I tend to hate on girls who wear make up for two main reasons: 1) I'm jealous and 2) cuz of the negative traits associated with girls who wear make up (I. e they are usually mean, fake, High maintainance, etc). Sometimes I get jealous of girls who wear makeup, not cuz they are prettier than me, but because guys tend to choose them over natural girls. This is where my "hate" comes in because I don't know why a guy would choose artificial beauty over something real, especially if you don't know what that girl looks like under all that make up. as for the negative associations, most of the girls I know who wear makeup are usually very mean. They think they are better and prettier than other girls and it makes me angry because you could wipe away their "beauty" with a wet kleenex. So when I see a girl wearing makeup, I kinda assume that she's probably a bitch cuz unfortunately most girls who wear make up are.

• That girl is pretty af even without it.
    But the issue really isn't women like her using it, again, she has her natural beauty regardless.

It's when the woman looks almost completely unrecognizable.
    http://img.memecdn.com/these-hoes_o_6807793.jpg

• I don't get it, I'm not surgically removing or adding bits to my face, so, I don't see how amateur contour is evil deception? And in the end, most women aren't doing there everyday face to attract a man anyways, so, ladies, who da fudge cares what hater guys think. There are make up less women for them and guys for you.

I think people don't understand that the average woman probably doesn't even do anything more than a simple one or two colors on the lid and lip product. So, if a person is being deceived by that, I don't think that person should be mating anyway XD

• Makeup is a social status indicator. The less you can tell a woman is wearing the more "natural" and therefor effortless she appears. And as we all know by now women are expected to be gorgeous but never allowed to show the effort that goes into that process.

So if a woman wears what appears to be "too much" makeup or the "wrong" type of makeup we can see her effort or lack of effort, depending on your viewpoint, and look down on her for it.

• I'm not all for it, but nor am I completely against it. If women feel more comfortable wearing no make - up make- up or full face o' slap then its their choice. Because Im a bit of a home bird due to lack of funds, I don't really get out much. So most of the time I'm a no make - up plain Jane and I don't care if guys don't find me attractive because of it. I only put make -up on when I can be bothered. I never go for full face o'slap unless I'm going out on special occasions. I want that wow factor. There are some products I hate using, so I exclude fake lashes, fake tan, fake nails or concealer. It sounds a bit cliché but guys will see my imperfect complexion. It may be a turn off for them, but any guy that tells a woman that she should always wear her make-up caked on isn't worth a shit.

• Why would anyone be happy with makeup? It's not healthy for your skin... and it doesn't look attractive, at least in my opinion.

• I wear makeup most of the time. I'm a Beauty Therapist so I'm always trying new products and experimenting with makeup.

People will judge you no matter what you wear , what you look like, or how you behave. So you either control your own life or allow others to control it for you. I'd never feel intimated by other people's opinions.

• Fuck people who have something negative to say about girls who wear makeup. last time i checked you didn't need others approval to wear what you wanted. my thing is, why are you so worried about what I put on MY face? it doesn't affect you nor will it change my daily routine so bye.

• I don't care if someone wears make up or not. I think with guys they worry if it's too much make up, and if you're hiding something. They don't care if you're already their girlfriend and you're getting dolled up. With other girls, it could just be jealousy.

With me, I have the opposite problem. I don't wear make up, and I am not attractive. I get so many people (always girls, guys have never commented) telling me that I need to wear make up to look better. I do what I can by being well groomed. I just won't want to wear a face full of make up everyday before I leave my place. I like getting dolled up for a night out, but that's as far as it goes. However, when I meet a guy for the first time I won't wear make up. I want him to see what he is getting because I know I am not pretty, and I don't want to hide under a mask only to have him disappointed later on. He knows what he is getting into.

Of course girls would tell you to wear makeup. By forcing you to adhere to their expectations, you validate their feeling of need to apply the same face paint as what they're trying to force on you. If you disobey, then why are THEY wearing makeup? Can't have that, can they?

• well I agree that people shouldn't be mean but sometimes friends are just being friends when they say someone looks better w/o or with less. Its the same as if I have spinach in my teeth. maybe its embarrassing to hear but at the end of the day I'm glad they gave me the info.

• She's gorgeous without. And with it. Now if you slap copious amounts of makeup to the point you look unrecongisible without it on its a sellout. But whatever floats your boat.

• I like makeup. Putting it on is very relaxing to me. I also kind of like the fact that people act a lot nicer to me when I wear makeup. I have bad skin and am very light blonde with normally invisible brows and eyelashes. A bit of foundation, some mascara and the lightest brow pencil available make a huge difference without me looking very unnatural.

It's intesting though to see how appearance really changes the way people treat you. If I dress nicely, brush my hair and wear a full face of 'natural makeup', people tend to flock around me and think Im nice, even when they're not looking to flirt. If I go bareface in a hoodie and shoes with holes in them, I just kind of get ignored and only my good friends treat me the same.

• I don't care what anyone says or thinks, I'm not letting anyone see me without makeup on. I don't even go check the mail without makeup. Putting my makeup on is part of my wake up routine, coffee, makeup and internet. That includes days when I don't have to be anywhere and don't plan on leaving the house. I put makeup on for myself, if you don't like it then don't hang out with me.

• Well it's because we as a new or devolving generation we have been brainwashed into if you don't look like this , you're altogether ugly which isn't true or that you're only pretty with make up. I mean what's better than the real authentic person? all people are doing is trying to do is to get you to accept how you look without filters or makeup. And maybe it could be because you're so beautiful without it, they wonder why. Me personally I only wear lipstick every now and then. Concealer, mascara, eyeshadow and etc I don't. So I'm not for or against it. But it's kinda all an allusion, do whatever makes you happy tho 💚

• People don't like to mind their own business and they feel the need to always have something to say or someone to put down so they could feel significant. I don't wear makeup but I don't go around talking shit about girls or guys who do because I'm a good ass human being. That to some people is their cape, it's what makes them feel super and special. My hair is my cape. And for the low lives, their sour apple attitude is theirs.

• I'm not into it but I tried to be one time because of peer pressure basically but it lasted one second and it was just mascara. I like to watch make up videos and I find it fascinating when girls create all these different looks especially with glitter. I don't bash people who wear makeup but just as some people do, there's also people who talk down on the ones who don't wear makeup. I feel like some people do wear it out of insecurity... mainly the full face every single day. There's no reason for it

• Because too much make up ruins your skin to the point where you HAVE to wear make up to look attractive.

Not true - my skin is flawless most of the time and I wear a full face everyday.
      Has more to do with diet and good skin care.

• Because not everyone finds it attractive and usually people who use their face like a coloring book don't have a lot of confidence in their natural beauty. The pictures above don't look bad, but some women go out looking like Barbie, but go to bed looking like a troll doll.

• I think it's stupid. We don't go around telling people that they need to wear makeup. But maybe we should, if they have something to say than so should we. "Woow you look really dead today you definitely need some concealer to hide those dark circles"

So a girls has small boobs and get implants should she also save money for her daughter who is gonna need them too?

@cchris989 what

I'm basically saying that if you wear makeup to the point that you only look good with out it all your doing is to your daughter that the way you are born is not enough and that you need to enhance yourself in order to fit in.

• My boyfriend doesn't like makeup at all. He prefers a real woman, as he says. No makeup, no weave, no fake nails, no fake lashes, no fake nothing.
    I don't think he ignores the fact that makeup can make someone feel beautiful. I believe that he just wants women and girls to be comfortable with themselves and to tell themselves "I'm beautiful" without any makeup or extra. And I agree with him.

• some completely transforms their face with makeup.
    Some people are harsh perhaps because they had been deceived or something I don't know

• Because people should be happy with themselves instead of using a crutch for "confidence."

This is in response to your update.

"girls are portrayed in media to always have flawless faces... you can't just tell someone to love their self when there's so much telling them not to."

Precisely another reason why you shouldn't wear makeup. Companies are designed to make you feel like shit about yourself. If someone was truly confident and happy with who they were makeup wouldn't be needed. Obviously if you need makeup you are insecure especially when you slather it on and especially if you must wear it everyday.

Cosmetic companies wouldn't have a soap box to stand on if they were teaching you to love you, instead of to hate you and "improve" what you have because the natural you "isn't good enough"

• She doesn't look that different. She just looks more refined. Anyways it's probably jealousy.

• it's only an issue when it looks like a mask sitting atop your face
    otherwise, wear the makeup however you like
    but personally, once you reach my age it makes little difference whether you wear it or not

• I think people in real life only have issues when its excessive or noticeably caked on.

• cuz ur literally smearing cow dung on ur face. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• More from Girls
    18