Does anyone else have hair like this?

My hair is thick but fine, meaning there's a lot of it, but each individual strand is thin. Because of this, it can be confusing. It is very abundant and obviously thick when worn down, but my ponytail is smaller than you'd expect for how much of it there is, and when flat ironed it looks and feels thin to me (although it feels thinner than it looks). It is naturally a wavy/curly texture. I know it is actually thick because several people have commented on its thickness, and professionals always want to layer it to get rid of bulk. It's also naturally very voluminous (almost too voluminous) and feels like there's an endless amount of it during the process of fixing it.

I've been told my hair appears thinner tied back and straightened because since my strands are fine they condense more. It's just so confusing because it behaves both thick and thin at the same time, depending on what you do with it. Does anyone else have this?

What Guys Said 1

• You literally just described my hair exactly. You are not alone..

Awesome! It seems like we're a rarity! I've tried looking up tips for thick but fine hair, but often get met with tips for thin and fine hair instead, usually tips to increase volume, which I definitely don't need.

Cool, I'll look into that thanks

No problem! I get it from Wal-Mart.

What Girls Said 2

• I have the exact same hair - but only in the thin strands, a lot of them thing. I have pin straight hair so it always looks not so voluminous - even though it technically is thick, it's not voluminous at all!
    And no, nothing I do to it stays on it for more than 10 minutes ---- no matter the hairspray or mousse.

• First off, do not flat iron your hair. It can damage it a lot.
    As for the description, you need to provide a picture of your hair in order to help you out more.

I don't think I'm going to anymore because I don't like the look of it completely straight and I'm trying to make it as healthy as possible. I try to only use it on areas with weird bumps or a lot of flyaways just to smooth it out. When I do flat iron it, I always use a heat protectant spray.
      I will try to get a picture if I can.