How can I die my hair and get it to be light brown if I have black hair?

I have black hair but I wanna die it light brown. I was thinking of buying the hair color from a drug store and then dying it my self because it's cheaper that way than going to the hairdresser. Would that work? Or do I need to go to a hair dresser. This is the hair color I was thinking of switching my hair to. And my hair is black How can I die my hair and get it to be light brown if I have black hair?

Most Helpful Guy

• You want to dye your hair, not die your hair, trust me, lol. But anyway, to do that, you'll probably have to bleach it first and then dye it to the color you want.

Most Helpful Girl

• That's a gorgeous color! However to achieve that you'd need various shades of brown. You can do this at home but I'd recommend getting one with highlights in it or multi toned. Store box is ok but I prefer mixing my own from Sallys or any beauty supply store that sells the color and developer separate

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 8

• Please go to a professional to lighten your hair. Black is a very hard colour to change, and the lightening process is somewhat complex. You cannot just dye your hair a lighter colour, it needs to be bleached and stripped of its pigment, and then toned to the desired shade.
    If you try to do it yourself there is a greater chance that it will end up damaged.

• I'm not an expert, but I think you'll probably have to bleach it some to get it lighter. If you just put the color from the box on it, it will just add a brown tint to your black hair. I think you should probably go to a professional.

• Funny you should write this today! I just did the same thing- dyed it! :) it's going to be orange the first time if you color it at home. But wait a few days before you color it again!! Otherwise your hair will fall off.

But- if you are rich, I suggest you do it at someone who is a professional :)

• i think you should go to a hairdresser

• You'll have to bleach it.

• I would go to a salon.

• No you have to bleach it. If i were gonna do that I'd talk to someone who was Asian with light hair. They're experts on that

• Use a dark blonde dye on it with either 20 or 30 developer or bleach it and then get a light brown dye anywhere from 7 I assume.