"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" does this statement hold true?

Does this statement hold true or is beauty decided by people that have power and are in a position to tell us what is and what is not? Also do people tend to find people that like their parents attractive vs ones that have no similarities?

Most Helpful Girl

• I'd say it holds true. Cindy Crawford, Kate Upton, George Clooney, these are the people that the media have hyped up over the years to be the standard of beauty. Frankly I never thought they were much to look at, particularly Clooney.

Everyone also considers Lyle Lovett ugly. I'm not really interested in older men and I absolutely hate his hair, but as far as the face goes I think he's quite handsome.

In school there were guys that all the girls would fawn over. Some of them were cute, but with a lot of them I couldn't really see it. The guys I liked actually couldn't get dates because the rest of the girls didn't think they were "hot enough."

The most beautiful woman I have ever seen in person is considered ugly by a lot of people around here. I have to admit she'd be more attractive if she didn't ruin her body with tattoos, but I'm not exaggerating when I call her the most attractive woman I have ever seen without her being projected onto a screen or transmitted over the air.

Most Helpful Guy

• To an extent.

There are certain universal traits that the majority of people find attractive, such as symmetry. Also, the more someone looks like an established norm, the more attractive they'll be. On an individual level, the statement is somewhat true. Different people are attracted to different things.

Also, the further someone gets away from the "majority" appearance, the less attractive they'll generally be considered to be. Excessively overweight, missing teeth, harsh facial features, any form of disfigurment, etc.

What Girls Said 10

• Everyone under the Sun, @Longshoreman, have their Own Opinion Of... Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder.
    However, in my 'Own Opinion,' Personality Highlights and Delights.
    Good luck and Great question. xx

• TRUE for those that think for themselves, esp. if trained/skilled
    The "experts" have created a pseudo-market so dependable that rich grunion invest, often getting both good investments, profits & social status in "taste", the latter most laughable.

• No that is not true at all. Some people just aren't beautiful and there's nothing to be done about that.

• Beauty IS on the eye of the beholder but what are you trying to ask here "do people tend to find people that like their parents attractive vs ones that have no similarities?"

• Beauty attracts the attention, but personality captures the heart!!! Beauty is skin deep, it may last a few decades, but the heart lasts forever!!!

• I believe it's true. only bc everyone has their own opinion. so what I find attractive may not be what you find attractive. hence, beauty is in the eye of the beholder

• beauty is pretty subjective
    you can t always follow the media like cheeps
    also usually the media advertise stuff that are generally liked
    I do think that there are lazy people.
    if everyone takes care of himself he d look at least decent enough

• It is true, but what we find beautiful is heavily influenced by culture.

• Have you legit never thought that someone who is typically regarded as attractive is not, or vice versa? It's obviously subjective.

• Definitely. I see it firsthand amongst my friendship group. One of us will think a guy is amazingly hot and the rest will be like eww no you have bad taste, lol it happens all the time. Everybody finds different people hot.

What Guys Said 11

• To a small degree, yes. As in, some guys like skinny girls, others like girls with big asses and big boobs and some girls like guys with undercuts and others like guys with flowing Fabio locks. But the basics are pretty much the same for everyone: as a guy you have to be tall, athletic, have a symmetric face, square jaw and visible cheekbones, as a girl you have to be fit, have a symmetric face, have an hourglass figure (whether it's a skinny or a curvy variant), large eyes and soft facial features.

• I think it is a true statement

• Beauty is an opinion, there's no label on beauty. But Society CAN heavily influence you on what beauty is. But one person can think a girl is the most beautiful person he's ever seen and someone else will think she's unattractive.

• The statement is true, only an individual can decide who looks beautiful, or turns them on. Most people tend to be more comfortable with people who resemble their parents.

• Yes it's true. We all have our different preferences and tastes. Just because someone is beautiful to one person doesn't mean that person is to everyone else.

• of course it is true.. you and i can look at the same exact woman and while you can be repulsed by her, i can think she is the most beautiful woman i had ever seen or vice versa

• Nobody can tell me what to find beautiful or ugly. I decide that.

• Absolutely. There are ones who find me attractive and ones who don't, and vice versa with me.

• It's only true if you're will to settle on someone less than ideal.

• No I don't think so

• partly yes beauty is subjective to a certain extent but it's not completely subjective