Is cutting my hair off the only way to make it healthy again?

I have really long hair, but it has gotten pretty damaged over the years from bleaching and straightening. Have any of you had this problem? How much would I have to cut it for it to look good again? The damage goes really high up :(

Most Helpful Guy

• Go to hairdresser and ask their advice but I would reckon a bit above damaged hair

Most Helpful Girl

• Start fresh will Make it Fuller and Fabulous.
    Using the correct products to maintain it so it doesn't get damaged again is the way to go.
    Rid of the this, roots and all.

Rid of the roots and all? Like shave my head?

haha I think a bit cut like under the ears. I have done this and grew it back out. I have natural curly hair that can get unruly but much better now after 3 years since I cut it shorter. It grows back Fast, believe me.

Ah that is so short and such a drastic change. I have always had long hair :(

What Guys Said 1

• Eat more protein and veggies. That's what hair is made of.. It will look a lot more healthy / strong that way haha

What Girls Said 5

• The only way is to cut off all the damaged hair. This hasn't happened to me even though I dye it a lot but I manage to keep my hair healthy despite that. A hairdresser will be able to determine how much will need to be cut off.

• Sadly, you have to cut all the damaged hair. If not all at once, then once every month until the damaged part goes away. Take it as a lesson and start taking better care of your hair. Avoid heat tools and bleaching

• sure cut it but the most important thing is to stop bleaching straightening and blow drying. and use a good conditioner.

• yes get a big chop

Some of the damage goes all the way up to my chin. Does it really need to be that short or could I just trim a little off?

unfortunately you gotta get rid of all that damaged hair

• Unfortunately yes. I've had that problem many times. I had to cut 4-5 fingers :(.