What is the best thing to do with shoulder length hair that's fine (strand wise - they're thin) but thick (a LOT of strands) and really heavy?

The thing with thick, heavy, thin stranned hair is that it's so heavy it weighs itself down a lot, if it's straight it's pin straight and won't take any other shape for more than 5 minutes.

What do you suggest?

• Cut it to a really short bob.
  • Layer it (but make sure the hairdresser doesn't thin down your ends too much).
  • Layer it and it'll be helpful if your ends are really thinned down.
  • Cut it short!
  • Something else... (Pls., comment below!)

Most Helpful Guy

• I think that would be considered fine but full. Thick would be the opposite of fine hair, no? That's how I've always thought it...

Either layer it, or go full androgynous.

Most Helpful Girl

• I have fine and shoulder length hair too! But mine is also thin, light and wavy to curly. I like to have it cut in long layers but without using razor, a side part, long side bangs which I straighten, and the rest of my hair I leave natural. I saw my hair getting more curly and shiny once I stopped using hair products with silicone. Eventually they build up in the hair weighting them down and making them look dull. You need to use a harsh clarifing shampoo to get silicones off, which isn't good for hair if you use it too much. Also, my hair get split ends easily, and I have to avoid blow drying, use heat protection spray, not comb it harshly, not dye it.. I'm thinking about getting it longer, but I don't mind shoulder length either. I tried bob but disliked it. I've seen many of your posts about bobs, so I think it's time for you to try it out! Long comment, i know, hope it was helpful though.

So basically cut it into a bob and try to give some volume to your hair by cutting silicones and letting it dry without toweling it or using heat

thanks for mho!

What Guys Said 4

• It looks terrible when people who have pin-straight hair part it directly down the middle. My best advice is to simply part it down the edge of the left side of your head and sweep the rest of it to the right side.

You should also tuck half of it behind your ears and leave the other half untucked so as to breakbit up a bit.

hairstylefoto.com/.../...irls-with-long-hair-2.jpg

3.bp.blogspot.com/.../1Deep+side+parted+hair.jpg

I didn't mean to upload that one twice. Sorry 😅

I thought you were just asking about ways to style it?

Also, why would volume be a problem of it is as thick as you say it is? I don't think layering it will solve that, because it'll only make it even thinner.

I think your only options are to either experiment with different hairstyles until it looks right to you, or just cut it - which isn't a good idea if you are looking for attention from guys. Trust me, most guys care a lot less about your perception of your own hair's volume than how long it is.

Jeez. Sorry for trying to help...

The last pic with this type of hair would only stay like that for about 30 seconds by the way, haha.

• I would look at short bob or cutting it short

• I love long, layered hair

• I'd like to know that, too!

What Girls Said 6

• I have hair like this. I usually do a "face frame" (type of layering), and sometimes I ask for it to be "texturized" which also gives it some style and takes away some of the thickness. If you're not into layering but want to keep it long, just ask the hairdresser to thin it out. It won't get you results as good as if you layered or texturized, but it'll help slightly.

• Ask your stylist at your salon to get your hair permed in retro 40's pin curls. It'll give you body, be fairly easy to manage and you will have hair like jessica rabbit. I see no downside to this.

• i voted B

• I think getting it layered would be good idea. It'll make it a lot lighter while still keeping it about the same length, plus it tends to give hair more volume.

See, this is a common misconception. Layering literally thins the hair making it less voluminous. It can appear to have more volume only when it's styled for that purpose bwcause it can keep the shape longer since it's been thinned out...

Eh... maybe some cases, i get what you're saying, but I've had layered haircuts, without styling, that seemed to make my hair look like it had more volume. I don't know... maybe im crazy but it seemed the shorter layers (aka the thicker portion of my hair) gave the illusion of more volume due to thinner longer layers of my hair

• Scrunch it into beach waves I love that look

• Shave it all off. Go full Britney!