Why do girls look away from guys when they are passing each other?

Sometimes walking around on campus I will see a girl from a distance as we are walking towards each other and as she gets closer she looks off to the side. Does she think I'm ugly or good-looking and she doesn't want to stare?

Good answers everyone! So I take it that if they look straight ahead and ignore you all together means they aren't interested/don't find you attractive? But if they look off to the side, there might be some interest?

Most Helpful Girl

• I think boneless skeletal hit it on the head when he said " They do NOT want to appear too interested. (Yes, a guy will probably think you're interested if you stare at him.)"

If the average woman looked ever guy in the eye when she was walking across campus she would never make it to class cause half of the guys would stop and talk to her! I mean seriously think about that. What would it be like if ever woman you walked by looked you in the eye? You would be thinking "Damn I'm glad I spent that extra $5 on these jeans cause I must be looking good today!"

I look women strangers in the eye more than I do male strangers cause men really do take you looking them in the eye as a sign you are interested in them. Even if you are trying just to be friendly.

Also, sometimes I do the look away thing when it's clear the guy and I have been looking at each other from a distance but when it's up close I make it clear I'm not interested by looking away. But I do also do it if I am looking at a good looking guy and I don't want him to know I was looking. So it's both sides of a coin for me. But I've never looked away cause I thought a guy was ugly or something.

If you are interested in a specific girl, next time you walk by her smile, say hi, and keep moving. It means no pressure that it will turn into a 10 minute conversation and you made it OK for her to say hi or smile next time she sees you. I think any woman loves a friendly hello from a guy.

GAG Video of the Day

10 Things Guys Wish Girls Would Stop Doing

What Girls Said 21

• In my experience, girls only look away if they're attracted and like the guy they're watching. Often it's because they don't want to stare or are just too shy. I often find myself doing this if I like the guy but I don't feel I know him well enough.

• Is this really true for most girls? cool.

• I get this a lot too, and to be honest am a little frustrated, because I never feel as though I can throw in a smile. ha

• For me, when I look at someone (girl or guy) and notice that they look at me, I look away just because I'm not sure if they'll think I'm being rude and because in some cases with guys, the guy is attractive but I don't want them to know I was looking at them. haha.

• Yes. That part about being rude is true for only some girls, but not all... You should just talk to her if you really want to find out. =P

• Nah. I'm good. I was just saying that if I happen to catch someones eye I look away cause I don't want to be rude. doesn't mean I want to talk to that person.

• They only guys I look away from when I walk are the ones I think are hot and I look away because I don't want them to think I'm staring at them. If I don't think you're hot I could care less what you think when I walk by

• Me, personally, when that happens, it's because I don't want to stare. The guy I like (and the guys I usually like) are almost always my really good guy friends. So, if they look at me, I'm okay to keep eye contact... Then again, it depends on the guy, etc. I'm also extremely shy, and even sometimes when the person I like looks at me in the halls, even though we're friends, I still won't look at them. Then again, I'm a strange, confusing person ^_^ haha

• sometimes if I c a guy I like or kinda like I ignore him on purpose (cuz I'm weird :P) I just don't wanna b real obvious if they look away its because theyr shy or don't want you to get the wrong idea or they like you it really just dependson the girl

More from Girls
16

What Guys Said 5

• Funny thing is, this happens to guys too!

I've seen many a nice looking girl in my life, and whenever I saw someone I felt attracted to, I always found myself looking away from them whenever she got near me! I think it was probably because I was afraid my retina would get fried seeing her up close lol

• From the girls' comments below I understand:

a) It is rude to stare.

b) They are shy.

c) They do NOT want to appear too interested. (Yes, a guy will probably think you're interested if you stare at him.)

d) They think the guy is hot and they ARE interested but nervous.

In other words, they almost always avoid eye contact with strangers, whatever the reason.

• Yeah agree,but,

1-they 100% always avoid eye contact with the guy they think is hot.

2-they stare at him(the hot guy) from a distance which they don't do to strangers.i.e. they don't look at the strangers even from a distance.thats the difference.

get it?

• Ah, that makes more sense. Thanks.

@cutiepie13
      So do they avoid eye contact on purpose all the time or because they're nervous.

• Dude I've had this thought many times...I for one believe that it's an in built fear. Basically if you're a normal guy (decent size) she'll no doubt be somewhat awed by your presence. It isn't because you're ugly or ungood looking haha. At that moment she thinks nothing of you, good or bad.

• I have to agree here. Sometimes, yeah. It'll be because I think theyre cute, but 99% of the time, it's exactly what you said... "At that moment she thinks nothing of you, good or bad."

• great question asked.. I wonder the exact same thing to almost everyday I walk around my college campus. I asked one of my friends the same question and they said it could either be they find you attractive or find you intimidating

• good question and interesting answers. like boneless skeleton summed up, they pretty much ALWAYS look away regardless of what is going through their head. the question would be, what would the female prefer for the male to do? look away as well? or keep eye contact for a bit long and maybe smile?