Generally speaking, do you think that wearing revealing clothing has more pros or cons for the women wearing the clothing?

If a woman wears revealing clothing some men may lust after her and work to impress her.

She also may get a self esteem boost.

However people may take her less seriously.

What do you think? More beneficial or disadvantageous? Or neither?

• solely pros
  • more pros than cons
  • 50/50
  • more cons than pros
  • solely cons
  • no effect

Most Helpful Guy

• More cons than pros.

First of all, from a PR standpoint, she just lost more than 50% of the population's favor by dressing in a revealing way. Numerous studies show that average and unattractive women actually harbor feelings of anger, resentment, and hostility towards women the perceive are actively competing for male sexual "attention" (not partners, just "attention"). Among attractive women, who actually stand a chance at competing for male attention, the retaliation against the scantily dressed woman may be more "passive" and "subtle." Among average and unattractive women, since they have nothing to lose in terms of male attention, the retaliation against the scantily dressed woman may be more "overt" and "direct."

So, that's #1 (in terms of percentages).

As far as men go, people in advertising or marketing would say, "number of views" is not the same thing as "number of paying customers."

Anyone "selling" advertising space is terrified to price based on "actual conversions." Instead, they price based on "clicks, or views." In female lingo, "Sure honey, you may be getting attention, but WHAT KIND of attention are you getting? Is that necessarily GOOD attention?" (puts cliche' female scripts away).

When I took a negotiation course in law school, we actually tested this male-female dynamic. They made males and females negotiate. Then, they broke out males and females into separate groups.

In the male-only room, the instructor asked, "What were your experiences? How did you feel when she was more assertive? How did you feel when she took a softer approach?"

Men had mixed opinions about most of the questions, except for one. Across the board, men consistently (almost unanimously):

1. Lost respect;
    2. Lost trust;
    3. Automatically felt the need to get defensive;
    4. Sometimes even felt adversarial and hostile;

... when the female "used her sexuality" as part of the negotiation. Whether it was putting on a soft feminine voice, or making sexually suggestive eye contact or facial expressions, or toughing or laughing playfully, or dressing a certain way, or positioning her boobs or legs, etc.

Nearly all men took that as her "thinking" of "him" as:

1. an idiot;
    2. able to be sexually manipulated;
    3. sexually exploitable / desperate;
    4. not respecting the business / professional process.

And just like that, the female had destroyed an opportunity to build trust and rapport.

Most Helpful Girl

• I think the cons outweigh the pros. Definitely.
    + she gets men drooling after her (=attention)
    + easy to find hookups
    - not be taken seriously
    - be objectified because that is how you present yourself
    - you only get the worst of guys. Not boyfriend material because let's face it... you're not advertising yourself as girlfriend material either
    - be disrespected by society (no, it's not empowerment to present yourself as only mean without brains)
    - how about catching a cold?
    - should you get raped, there is higher chance of people blaming you because you are "asking for it".
    - you won't appear like a classy lady that guys would want to bring home to mom.

What Guys Said 37

• It definitely draws my attention and I do enjoy looking, but that is about as far as I'm willing to go. I say this because women who dress provocatively, typically mean trouble in my opinion. Do I think said girls/women are bad? No, but I also believe that if you dress for effect that you should expect the effect you get, and no I don't mean that they deserve to be mistreated in any way. Just that if you dress to get attention, hey guess what you will get that attention. Will that attention always be from the people you want to get attention from? Probably not, it's a mixed bag, you should probably not expect one particular result. It's like radar, when it's on it's on and anything that falls within the range of the radar will be detected, the radar doesn't care what it is, it just sees that the object is both within it's range and that it's there.

If you dress to illicit a response, you will get that response, it will be up to you to filter out what you do or don't like. Just sayin' ;-)

• I didn't vote. It depends entirely on the situation. If we're out, I love to be with the great looking gal that all the guys are looking at but if I take her to church, I'd like her to be much more on the classy side of sexy. In intimate situations, I love sexy trashy, a lot.

• I think it all depends on the context. There are different ways to dress for different situations. If the woman is in the workplace, dressing sexy and revealingly will cause people to take her less seriously. That won't be good for her job prospects long term (although some unscrupulous managers or bosses might try to take advantage of her). But if she's out on her own time, and if dressing sexy and showing her cleavage or her belly or wearing short shorts makes her feel sexy and attractive then I think she should dress the way she wants. I don't think there's anything wrong with a woman wanting to show off her assets in the appropriate setting.

• Voted 50-50 cause it depends on how revealing and what kind of revealing.
    Whore-like revealing is gonna bring more cons. She'll have guys looking which is what she wants, but she won't get taken seriously.
    Lady-like revealing will get her attention and get taken seriously.

'Lady-like revealing' 'whore like revealing' wtf

@Touchmehxx Depends exactly on what you mean by super submissive. I don't like super submissive girls myself, though, but I still prefer to be the dominant in the relationship.

What do you mean by dominant in the relationship

• I voted 50/50... a beautiful girls can show off to her guy, though I would suggest girls don't do it on the first couple of dates.
    Otherwise guys focus too much on your look and body instead of your personality :o
    Of course, we guys like it when beautiful girls show off, that's logical :D

• That simply depends on what said girl is looking for.

Sex? She will get exactly what she is looking for. She will immediately catch the attention of horny men, and her choice of clothing (or lack thereof) will effectively communicate that she is "down".

Relationship? No. Like mentioned above, she will be giving men the impression that she is looking for casual sex, and in doing so, there will be a major communication error. The guy will be after casual sex, and believe she is also after casual sex. While the girl is after a relationship, and will believe that he is also after a relationship.

• Modesty is more attractive when looking for marriage material. Guys look for slutty dressed women when looking for a one night stand. Slutty dressing also needlessly tempts guys and can tempt inappropriate touching (though thats no excuse for guys to touch)

• If a woman could make me lust after her by wearing revealing clothes i would be quite a weak man wouldn't i be? I choose not to view womens bodies as sexual in a non sexual setting, so women can dress how they want. They can even be naked if they want to. It may have cons as well as pros for some women as well as men. Id say its about 50/50.

• I think there are more cons because people will assume you're easy and a slut. And then you just lose respect.

• Options are always beneficial. Since you won't be locked to dressing one way or the other based on doing it once, this is solely a pro. You have the option of reaping said benefits when it suits you.

• Depends on who you ask. If you ask a religious person, they want you to wear something like these two outfits

s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/.../...a7c0a214cb.jpg

images.halloweencostumes.com/.../...un-costume.jpg

• Well I mean if it's hot outside u should for practicality

But I mean if you wear revealing clothing then you basically lose the right to complain about people staring at you.

• Probably 50/50 - Personally I prefer something left to the imagination

• Men get a self-esteem Boston from wearing tank tops, but you don't see all of us wearing it around as if it's a regular t-shirt.

Dressing appropriately applies to males and females, not sure why women think they get a pass.

• Depends you can wear revealing clothes and not look thrashy. Often at work I notice young women wearing clothes that make them look unprofessional.

• Depends on the context. A woman wearing revealing clothing in a professional setting obviously will receive negative attention, but if she wears revealing clothing at a nightclub then she is bound to get positive attention.

• It has much more benefit for a woman, just getting breast implants can land her a better paying job, more likely to get a promotion, more likely to get a better man.

• It has more cons from what I've seen

• Women should only show thier eyes and fully cover up

• I am not a fan.
    I prefer a woman who has the respect for herself to dress elegantly and modestly.

• Definitely more pros since women can control when they choose to wear revealing clothing.

• It depends on how revealing.

• Girls should dress appropriate, not wearing mini shirts almost showing your butt! That's weird

• I think it would be about 50/50, but it would also depend on how revealing her clothes are...

• If she wants male attention then I think there are more pros than cons.

It's almost all negative attention however.

@ProbablyTooMature yeah but some girls just want any type of attention to boost their confidence

True!

Though I consider that more of a con than a pro. More negative attention isn't better than less positive attention. That's why the kids that seek negative attention are shitheads.

• solely cons
    sure-i'll get her attention... but what kind... and from who?

• Its double standard... guys clothing is unsex and womens clothing is just for women, its ment to fit the curves. we guys are too big to wear skimpy clothing.

• depends on the place, situation and type of "revealing" clothes.

• Generally revealing clothing doesn't make one a bad person it just leaves you wondering.

• 50/50

• More from Guys
    7

What Girls Said 17

• The way European going women will be all made to wear veils and burqas

Think women should wear what they want.. if I see a woman wearing something revealing my first thought is *i wish I could wear that* I think they have confidence and I think they mostly wear it for themselves rather than get a mans attention..
    I would take her seriously if she puts the effort into looking good then she most likely put effort into other things as well..
    I draw the line at Kim kardashian though.. she's trashy though her clothes never fit and looks ridiculous..

but anyone else yes.. if they have the body and the confidence then go for it.

• I'd say that it's like 60% pros, but 40% cons. Lots of people might disrespect you and take you less seriously, I've seen it happens first hand! But also, guys look more and you get self esteem boost... It's kinda like this, you get much more attention, good attention and bad attention, but attention nevertheless! So if you like attention it'll be great! If you're really shy it might be terrible for you.

• From my experience, wearing less revealing clothes draws all sorts of wrong and bad attention so, I don't do it as often as I did in high school, and even then, I was pretty conservative.
    I've noticed that when I wear my most normal clothes, I get approached more often, and that is what gives me the self-esteem boost. Also, more compliments from other girls when I'm more natural.

• I find that I tend to get more free stuff and people are nicer to me when I dress more provocatively.

• 50/50
    The opinions of people who don't take you seriously because you showed a little cleavage do not matter.

• I get just a much of a self-esteem boost if not more from wearing a mid thigh skirt, leggings, tank top, and sweater as I do from wearing a super short dress and strappy heels.

• i can only speak for myself. I don't really wear revealing clothing. When I do where revealing clothing i do get stares and it makes me a little uncomfortable, so i prefer to dress modestly... i feel comfortable with it. I also don't blame men for looking either

• its 50/50

• Solely cons, i don't understand how getting catcalled and be seen onl as a piece of meat who can't wait to get a pounding something fun? People (men and women in general) are usually drawn to modesty, always stay classy and decent :)

PS this is only my opinion, the definition of decency and modesty can differ from a person to person so to each their own ☺️

Some people can use those for their advantage. And in that perspective, it's good, and I don't blame them.

• I love wearing sexy clothes or going naked.

• It depends where you are wearing it, for who, I like to think more pros

• During winter, the cons out weigh the pros.

• Unless you're a stripper or prostitute... waaaaaaay more cons than pros

• There are more risks than rewards.

• I'd say about 50/50.

• What is your opinion ans choice?

• I look hot, I feel hot.