If a woman wears revealing clothing some men may lust after her and work to impress her.
She also may get a self esteem boost.
However people may take her less seriously.
What do you think? More beneficial or disadvantageous? Or neither?
- solely pros4% (5)4% (6)4% (11)Vote
- more pros than cons11% (13)22% (31)17% (44)Vote
- 50/5030% (35)35% (49)33% (84)Vote
- more cons than pros34% (39)26% (36)30% (75)Vote
- solely cons12% (14)7% (10)9% (24)Vote
- no effect9% (9)6% (7)7% (16)Vote
Most Helpful Guy
More cons than pros.
First of all, from a PR standpoint, she just lost more than 50% of the population's favor by dressing in a revealing way. Numerous studies show that average and unattractive women actually harbor feelings of anger, resentment, and hostility towards women the perceive are actively competing for male sexual "attention" (not partners, just "attention"). Among attractive women, who actually stand a chance at competing for male attention, the retaliation against the scantily dressed woman may be more "passive" and "subtle." Among average and unattractive women, since they have nothing to lose in terms of male attention, the retaliation against the scantily dressed woman may be more "overt" and "direct."
So, that's #1 (in terms of percentages).
As far as men go, people in advertising or marketing would say, "number of views" is not the same thing as "number of paying customers."
Anyone "selling" advertising space is terrified to price based on "actual conversions." Instead, they price based on "clicks, or views." In female lingo, "Sure honey, you may be getting attention, but WHAT KIND of attention are you getting? Is that necessarily GOOD attention?" (puts cliche' female scripts away).
When I took a negotiation course in law school, we actually tested this male-female dynamic. They made males and females negotiate. Then, they broke out males and females into separate groups.
In the male-only room, the instructor asked, "What were your experiences? How did you feel when she was more assertive? How did you feel when she took a softer approach?"
Men had mixed opinions about most of the questions, except for one. Across the board, men consistently (almost unanimously):
1. Lost respect;
2. Lost trust;
3. Automatically felt the need to get defensive;
4. Sometimes even felt adversarial and hostile;
... when the female "used her sexuality" as part of the negotiation. Whether it was putting on a soft feminine voice, or making sexually suggestive eye contact or facial expressions, or toughing or laughing playfully, or dressing a certain way, or positioning her boobs or legs, etc.
Nearly all men took that as her "thinking" of "him" as:
1. an idiot;
2. able to be sexually manipulated;
3. sexually exploitable / desperate;
4. not respecting the business / professional process.
And just like that, the female had destroyed an opportunity to build trust and rapport.1
Most Helpful Girl
I think the cons outweigh the pros. Definitely.
+ she gets men drooling after her (=attention)
+ easy to find hookups
- not be taken seriously
- be objectified because that is how you present yourself
- you only get the worst of guys. Not boyfriend material because let's face it... you're not advertising yourself as girlfriend material either
- be disrespected by society (no, it's not empowerment to present yourself as only mean without brains)
- how about catching a cold?
- should you get raped, there is higher chance of people blaming you because you are "asking for it".
- you won't appear like a classy lady that guys would want to bring home to mom.1