Girls, What are some good strategies to help stop biting your nails?

I have been trying to kick this habit forever and am struggling... any suggestions?

21

Most Helpful Girl

• Their is this special nail Polish which is transparent in color but has a VERY bad taste, whenever you go to bye your nails you'll feel like crying. I never had this habit, I'm actually the opposite, I used to hide whenever my mom wanted to cut my nails because it makes my hands feel weird but I tried this nails Polish once, because it also nourishes the nail and gives it a healthier appearance. Oh, I felt very lucky that I don't have this habit when I tasted it.

What Girls Said 20

• When I was 10, @Shygal11489, I had a Hard Habit Of.. Biting my Nails.
    I did This for years, even in school. Finally though, with Working, I could Afford Manicures to Dress Up these Short Stops And.. STOPPED. Biting them One day.
    Pretty nails will give you this Incentive to Look but Not... Bite.
    Good luck. x

• Chew gum instead.

I have a ring on my middle finger that has a chain around it. Some people call it a worry ring. Idly, when I'm stressed or worried, I simply use my thumb to swish the chain around throughout the day. I used to bite my nails too and both methods did wonders.

I'll try to upload a photo of the ring soon.

• Put nail polish on them.

If that doesn't work, put vaseline on them.

Or bandaids.

Something that either tastes shit, or makes you overly aware of your nails to where you will catch yourself about to chew them rather than in the middle of doing so.

• Try "painting" your nails with a sharpie so that you can't bite them without tasting that nasty stuff! Or lemon juice! Just something that tastes gross to you

• what I used to do was get acrylics so that it was impossible for me to bite them and they still looked nice. but I noticed that the more I used falsies my real nails became really brittle and broke easily so I stopped. pretty much just paint them pretty colours so you won't want to bite them.

• I heard that wearing a nail polish that tastes bitter helps.

• It's a sign of anxiety, try putting a really pretty color nail polish or bright color on so every time you see it you will notice the color and stop

• Try meditation. I know that you do it out of anxiety, so try focusing on deep breaths and letting your thoughts go.

• I had a friend who got french tips to keep herself from biting them! :) Did wonders for her.

• Put nail polish on it

• Clip your nails
    don't grow them

• Get some really gross highly perfumed hand cream and use it all the time.

• Dip your finger tips in nail polish remover. That way if you put your nails in your mouth there will be a nasty taste.

• Put garlic in them so you will not want to bite them anymore because either will taste awful and garlic is very good for nails to grow

• Keep some fake nails glued on them for a while until u think uve gotten past the habit

• Get acrylics

• Nail polish

• Keep them painted! If I paint my nails I find that I bite them less because I don't wanna mess them up lol

• When i was small, my mom wiped chili peppers on the ends of my fingers. You won't want to bite them but for goodness sake don't rub your eyes.

• That gross tasting stuff that goes on your nails, or falsies.