My newest lipstick is hardly pigmented. How can I make it work?

I got a black lipstick for my Wednesday Addams costume but the lipstick isn't pigmented very well. Which is what I get for going to Walmart for this lipstick. Like when I put it on, I can still the pink of my lips. Do I just put on the lipstick, powder it, apply more, and repeat until I'm happy with it?

Most Helpful Guy

• Why don't you get a new lipstick? There's still time until Wednesday and it's not expensive.

I could do that even though black lipstick isn't popular. I looked for twenty minutes for this lipstick. It was the only one in Walmart and its terrible.

Most Helpful Girl

• I feel like I literally bought the same exact lipstick you did a few years ago for my costume because the same thing happened to me. It was so cheap and super waxy, it didn't even feel like real lipstick.. just more like a candle they'd put a bit of food coloring on.

Basically I just applied like 10 coats of the stuff until I got more color out of it. Honestly unless you plan on regularly wearing black lipstick, spending 15$ on a quality tube isn't worth it. It's just one night, you can totally deal.

What Guys Said 1

• Not my area of expertise 😅

What Girls Said 24

• 3 ideas.

1)
    Go to the drugstore, and find some Wet 'n Wild loose glitter in black. It should be something like 99 cents. Put it on, ON TOP OF the black lipstick, with a blender/sponge/lip brush.
    Should come out looking like this, but without all the obvious photoshopping:
    40.media.tumblr.com/.../...rRSpF1uscofmo1_1280.jpg

2)
    Go to Sephora ON THE DAY OF when you want to wear yr costume.
    Use a **TESTER** of one of these black lipsticks:
    • Make Up For Ever Rouge Artist #50
    • Kat Von D Studded Kiss Slayer
    The MUFE one is the best -- 1-2 swipes and you're good to go, all day all night.
    Mb put some gloss on top of it, too (again, use a tester).

3)
    (If you don't mind gaming the system...)
    Buy one of those lipsticks from Sephora... use it... then just return it later. Sephora is super-liberal about returns, no questions asked.

Also, you should wear a lip primer first. No reason to buy an expensive lip primer, just get one from the drugstore or whatevs.
      As a substitute for a primer, you can use black eyeliner on yr lips (all over the lips, not just as a "liner"). Ymmv with this one, it works better on some lips than on others.

If you go to Sephora on the day of, and decide to use the tester... you can also use a tester of one of their super dope expensive lip primers. (:
      (I like Too faced's Lip Insurance -- the normal one, not the glossy one)

• The best thing to do is to buy another one, at least you will use it for some time and you won't have to go through another step to make it work. I don't recommend buying from Walmart, if you want makeup go to Sephora, and you'll find that Smashbox, Kat Von D, Anastasia Beverly Hills, and Mac, all make black lipsticks. They are all qualified brands, so no doubt you will get stunning pigmentation from them. Some are matte liquid lipstick, like Anastasia Beverly Hills. The easiest way to get them is off a site, but Halloween is right around the corner, and shipping can take a couple days.
    If you want to keep the one you have now, and make it work, then you will have to prep your lips first, because you're going to be applying more product for pigmentation, and this could be too harsh/drying on the lips. After exfoliating and moisturizing, using a brush, mix creamy black eyeshadow or gel liner with your lipstick. It works to darken red lipstick, see if it works with black. You can also use the technique of completely "erasing" your lips with the help of a concealer and then apply lipstick on top.

• You can use it as a base, and put black eyeshadow over it but it could get on your teeth. Do you have a good black eyeliner? You could line and fill your lips in with that first.

• Use eyeliner or black eye shadow. It works. I used it before this is how it looked and you can make it look as dark as you want.

scontent.fsnc1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/.../...622180_n.jpg

• You can apply some concealer or powder on your lips to fade out you natural colour. It'll help some.

• Go to the representative who sold it to you and then cut them. Then proceed to use their blood for a spooky, dark red lip color!
    Works every time :)

• You might need to do a couple of coats but if that doesn't work, unfortunately it's just a bad lipstick. If you have black eye shadow you could put some of that on your lips and then layer some more lipstick onto it.

• I'd just go with black eyeliner before the lipstick... Eyeliner on the lips and then lipstick... But then you don't really even need the lipstick. Haha

• It shouldn't really matter where you got it, it's the brand you should be looking at. I go to Walmart but I still buy good brands. I remember last year for Halloween I needed black lipstick and I bought E. L. F. cosmetics and I didn't even have to put a lot on... try lip liner and then put the black lipstick over it and see what happens if not keep applying the lipstick until you are happy with the results.

• Blacl eyeliner is the only way to go. The only good black lipsticks I've seen are Kylie Jenner's and Jeffree Star's and those are expensive af and shipping is slow af.

• It might have been the brand. Did you get a matte lipstick? Those tend to stick longer and are bolder.

• Try foundation and concealer on your lips first, then the black lipstick. Then use toilet paper to blot the excess lip color and reapply

• So my method of putting on lipstick is:
    Put on first layer, place tissue on your lips and powder on the tissue. Repeat till you get the desired shade.

• I don't know makeup and stuff like that we'll but maybe you could shade you lips with black lip liner and then try to apply the lipstick.

• You can mix it together with some dark red lipstick if you have one, it won't be entirely black but it could look like blackish maroon type of color you know.

• If it doesn't work then just use black eyeliner, it's a lot more pigmented for sure

• Go to a costume store

• Get a more pigmented lipstick, it will get the best results.

• Use your Concealer to cover your lips, use that black lipstick, then apply black eye shadow on top

• Have you tried a primer?

• Ok... for me I do liquid eye liner for lip line. Then fill my lips in with it. And then put my black lip stick on it with setting spray. Works perfectly. But hey that's just me

• I'd just get a new one. If you have to use that one, put it on. Put a LITTLE bit of petroleum jelly on over it. Apply a black shadow.

• Apply, dry, apply, dry, keep applying until you reach desired results!

• That's what I would do.