Ladies! Can you Please help! I am trying to dye my whole head red\burgundy and have done tried everything?

Ok my hair was dyed blonde before, then I dyed it silken black. Then I said, I want to dye it burgundy red, it is only taking at the roots now, but the rest of my hair seems to not budge. First I used lightest blonde to get my hair lighter, it was dark brown. Then I applied the burgundy hair dye by clariol textures and tones it only took at the roots and made the rest of my hair black looking, how weird. Then I decided ok, wait a week later or two to dye my hair again by loreal hi color magenta with 30 developer. It didn't do anything, but only take at the roots again.

I also make sure, that I have applied it to the middle of my hair on down first, before I did my roots. It looks like I am ready to give up on red burgundy hair, because my hair seems to not budge for anything. I would have gotten color corrector, but a lot of people says that doesn't do any good either. I want to dye my hair with out damaging it and it seems like it want do. Please help ladies! I do not know how to get the rest of my head red and burgundy. Please can anyone tell me how?

What Guys Said 1

• You need to bleach the crap out of it to get a colour like that to take properly... especially since you've already dyed it black. You can try putting on the lightest, harshest bleach you can (ice blonde or similar) but it'll damage your hair a lot and there's no guarantee. You can try waiting a bit for it to grow, or go to a professional salon and seeing if they can help you.

The other thing I'm wondering is, are you leaving the blonde bleach on your hair long enough? It should be extremely light when you're done.

I have a feeling professionals will destroy my hair, I will wait till it grows, it is probably the most healthiest option.

Given all this stuff isn't cheap, you should go and ask the pros anyway... even once, to get it done the way you want and get some tips for doing it yourself next time. They won't destroy it (they're professionals) but they might advise against doing anything else right now. My best friend would change the colours of her hair fairly regularly and while it did have the usual damaging effect (dryness) it never actually destroyed it.

As for bleach, I have really dark brown hair and I could get it platinum blonde with the right stuff.

I have tried professionals in my lifetime and they all have destroyed my hair, that is why I don't trust them. An that's why I do my hair myself. My best bet is to grow it out since the roots of my hair did take the dye. It isn't my new growth that is hard to dye only the part that was dyed silken black. So I am just going to grow that part out. It is more healthy that way, then to let a professional put bleach in my actual hair...

What Girls Said 8

• You dyed your hair black prior to the constant dying.. black is a hard colour to dye over you should of bought a prelightner to help strip the black out then dye it the colour you wanted

Now don't do a thing for a few weeks get your hair in good condition and get it trimmed to at least shoulder length if it's already that length get all split ends cut out

No heat, no curling, no constant brushing not a thing as damage is now done.

Hair masks every week for 4weeks
    Then try a prelightner.. you have to not only put it on the hair but take parts of your hair and rub it down the hair a few times like you were styling it with hair gel to make it spikey, ur hair will lift the black out so it will go a weird colour

Then get your dye and leave it on for only half the time needed to develop as your hair is now porus and will soak in any colour it comes into contact with

I'm a hairdresser I do my own hair but that's ok if I ruin my own hair!! Your hair isn't mine and if you want to try above do so. I recommend a hair salon and they might not even touch your hair unless it's in good condition.. a good hairdresser won't even

If you don't have the money for a salon, there are colleges, beauty schools whatever who look for *models* to practice on under watchful eye of professionals for near enough pennies.

• 28d

I had my share of professional hair salons and they are not so good either. That is why I am doing it the healthy way, because the color took to my roots, but not my ends. My hair is not damaged by any means, because most of the hair dyes I used were not that damaging. I uses the clariol textures and tones for natural hair, henna, manic panic, and loreal hi color. I never went beyond those products. So I am going to grow my hair out and let the red grow out from my roots, because it literally took there and it doesn't look bad at all. I am going to rock some braids with this until I see a little more ombre effect. But thanks for your suggestions. I was really hoping to not bleach the parts of hair, but I am not going that extreme. I always cut my ends and that is why it extremely full, by no means my hair is falling out. I rather do my own hair, for it to not fall out, then let someone do it for me. I rarely uses heat and love doing pre conditioning and deep conditioning.

• 28d

What colour is your natural hair? how did you get it to go lightest blonde?

Once you dye your hair it isn't in peak condition anymore. It might look it but it isn't. Every time you put dye on it you damage it. Virgin hair is always best condition, that's hair that hasn't been chemically straightened or dyed..

you might think it's in great condition but keep dying it without giving hair a break, your hair won't fall out but it will become elastic like and just melt away in your hands like you have rubbed hair removin cream in it.

• 28d

My hair color is natural dark brown. I used the clariol textures and tones for natural hair without ammonia and I never dyed it all blonde. I gradually did it. So no it is not damaged, because I didn't go blonde all in one and I didn't used extreme dye to do it. My hair I always cut my ends off when needed thus the growth and fullness still. I used more natural dyes in the process like henna and manic panic. This is why my hair is still in good condition and not breaking off. Because I wear loose braids a lot and always used natural remedies for my hair along with the steamer to hydrate my hair. Thus my hair is full growing strong. I never went to dyes that a very harsh back to back. Since I am natural and used natural remedies most of the time. That's why my hair still healthy, because I uses more natural hair dyes in the mixed and no extreme hair dyes, thus why my ends of my hair won't budge. But growing it out is the best option, because it took at the roots, therefore still healthy

• I think you need to stop with all the home dying, you're destroying your hair... For all that you've paid for that dye you could just have gone to a hair salon and they would've done it all properly for you.

When you have dark hair its very hard to dye it into "another colour", especially after its been black. In order for any colour to come through you'd need to bleach your whole hair which is very very damaging, and I really recommend you to not do that by yourself and get your hair done at the salon, because your hair just seemed to messed up at this point.

My hair isn't messed up, because the dyes that I did weren't all permanent hair dyes. I usually used henna and manic panic as well and before I hair dye I always pre condition and after I dyed it deep condition , I always cut the ends that needs to be cut. I guess that is why my hair continues to grow fully, because I take precautions. I have been to hair salons, not all of them are well equipped to do hair and not the color you want anyway, without really damaging your hair, so I teND tO stay away. I dye my hair myself, because I know what my hair needs versus someone who has to get know my hair.

• I have also been struggling to dye my hair dark red. I have Asian black hair, which is supposed to be really stubborn. All the things I've read is you have to bleach it first. I have also tried dying my hair lighter several times and tried "natural" lighting processes such as lemon juice, honey, cinnamon, chamomile tea, and hydrogen peroxide-all with different mixes and concentrations for extended periods of times. Nothing has worked. My best advice is to get it professionally bleached and dye it again. To prepare your hair for bleach, take a few weeks off for your hair to rest and condition it really well with masks and stuff during the "resting phase", then get it bleached.

Are you serious? A girl just recommended me the honey, cinnamon, and lemon mixed. You mean to tell that doesn't work either? Oh well! I'm going to have to grow my hair out then, because the hard bleach I am scared of lol.

• 28d

You could try the honey cinnamon lemon mix, it may work for you. I know Asian hair is really stubborn but, you can try it. It just didn't work for me.

• 28d

She did say that she tried that it didn't work for her

• It's super difficult to get your hair a burgundy colour if you already have dark hair. You did dye it blonder but seeing as it only went dark brown, the chances are that it's no way near light enough to take - ideally, you need blonde hair to get a deep red colour because it'll just get swallowed up by the dark brown. It's best to bleach your hair and strip it to white and then apply the dye but it will be super damaging.

I guess, I am going to have to grow it out then. That's probably the best bet to do...

• you'll have to bleach it since you were black, then you dye it. Id say use Manic Panic dye, I've heard great things about them

I have used the manic panic dyed. It didn't do nothing for my head. I order it in the color magenta and it washed right on out. That is why I said, that I have tried everything lol...

• 28d

True, But what color was your hair when you did it? Did you bleach it first?

• 28d

It was still dark from the previous dyed I did, when I tried to lighten it up. It looks like nothing wouldn't budge. That's why I say. Growing it out will probably be my best bet...

• You can't dye already dyed hair. You have to strip your previously dyed hair of its color before you redye it.

As in you can only dye it darker, not lighter.

Afaik with just lemon you would have to sit in the sun because uv is involved, acting as the peroxide.
      Honey acts as a natural peroxide so with that mixture you don't really need sun.

Wow! Didn't even know, I am so glad to know now lol. Thanks friend and it is natural just like I like it.

• Since it was black before, it has to be bleached down to a near white color, or yellow. Brown is not light enough. Then do the burgundy. But don't touch it for a few weeks right now. You don't want to risk permanent damage.

• 28d

Yeah since it dyed at my roots, I'm just going to grow it out to the color. More healthier option...

• Good luck with that. I am afraid to give you advise on something like that, because once I made the mistake of dyeing the ends of my blonde hair red and after a week or so I regretted it. I recommend you to do it in a professional hair saloon. Don't do it on your own.

• 29d

I had my share of professional hair salons and they are not so good either. That is why I am doing it the healthy way, because the color took to my roots, but not my ends. My hair is not damaged by any means, because most of the hair dyes I used were not that damaging. I uses the clariol textures and tones for natural hair, henna, manic panic, and loreal hi color. I never went beyond those products. So I am going to grow my hair out and let the red grow out from my roots, because it literally took there and it doesn't look bad at all. I am going to rock some braids with this until I see a little more ombre effect. But thanks for your suggestions. I was really hoping to not bleach the parts of hair, but I am not going that extreme...