Why do guys like long hair?

I have a friend who had long hair, but she cut it off and it actually made her look so much cuter than before, but her boyfriend basically broke up with her because of it. Lol So my question is why long over short? what is too long? what is too short? curly, straight, or wavy and why?

What's Your Opinion?

0/2000

Most Helpful Opinion

• I think the whole deal with short hair is that it's girl pretty... just like rompers, over sized sunglasses and gladiator sandals. Us girls usually love those and think they are totally gorgeous, but guys hate them. There is a difference between girl pretty and guy pretty.

What Guys Said 25

• Most girls have long hair, and I am guessing that part of it has to do with the history of humans. Girls were meant to have long hair, and guys are meant to have short hair. It has passed on from generation to generation. Most guys do like long hair and that might be part of the reason. But like people always say, everyone is different. Some like it long, some like it short. He might not have liked her new hairstyle.

• I don't know where you are getting this logic from. As far as I can recall until recently, in Asia is was typical for both sexes to have long hair. In old England, I believe men had medium length also. So maybe it's a difference of times and region?

• Its not me! its her boyfriend and like, every guy I've ever talked to lol.

• I actually love girls with shorter hair, I never used to. But I used to like this girl a lot and she had long hair, she was asking me for suggestions on her hair, said she wanted it shorter, I wasn't entirely sure, she showed me a picture and I said I liked it (even though it was a tongue in cheek thing) she only went out and got the haircut! She told me over MSN and I instantly thought to myself :S. And she went on webcam, I was like, holy crap that's actually hot! lol I don't know it just really suited her, moreso than her long her. Odd. (:

• 'So much cuter..." is a female perspective. Straight hair is most preferable and it should cover her entire back at the minimum. Having it fall over over me while doing cowgirl is very erotic.

• for me boy length hair makes you look boyish

• Define 'boy length' I have a penis and my hair is probably longer than your mothers.

• He just happened to like long hair, that's the magic of preference.

• shoulder length hair is extremely attractive to me, along with short ponytails. Any longer or shorter than that is well, 'unacceptable'. I tend to prefer cute girls.

• Longer than shoulder length is unacceptable? almost every girl I know has hair longer than that.

• A girl with long or super short hair can be cute too, and not all of us can pull of shoulder length. For some of us it actually makes us LESS cute

• Not all guys are like that. Personally I LOVE short hair on women. And hair length has nothing to do with femininity or masculinity (good luck telling biker dudes their long hair makes them look feminine and getting out of there in one piece, LOL). However, I like when a girl does what makes her feel right, but to me the shorter the better when it comes to hair.

• Shoulder length short hair is sexy and easy to care for. You can wash it and condition it everyday if you want.

• A girl has to have long hair... I like playing with it, I don't want her to look like a guy with short hair. Plus long hair is sexy and girly... difficult to discribe but I wouldn't date a girl with short hair

• Long is classic female hair. Shorter hair is more for the flapper girls of the early 1900's. The short hair symbolized women that dressed skimpier and acted more like men. I would rather date a girl with the classic long hair than short hair that symbolizes all those things.Would you date a guy with hair longer than yours?Too long is past mid back. Too short is above shoulders. Curly straight or wavy doesn't matter as long as it isn't too curly or too thin when straight.

• I don't wanna judge but I think he is dumb.I would not do that and I think while she should have talked about cutting her hair with him,its hers and she can do what every she wants.Any way I personally like to brush a girls hair back behind her ears and I like to run my hands down thru or even smell it when we are kissing or cuddling.

• I like a practical girl, so short hair is a plus. They get ready a lot quicker. Actually I favor black girls, and it irks me that so many young black girls feel a need to spend a ton of money and time on fancy do's, weaves and all that (btw, at my age young means under 50). Short nappy-natural hair is a plus for me, I hope it comes back in style soon. Other races are good in short hair too. No hair at all is OK with me. The time you would have spent on all that hair would be better spent doing something fun or useful.

• Actually, I sorta like short hair. Only some girls can pull it off though.

• i like long hair because I think it looks a lot better, why? hmmmmnot really sure why it just looks sexier to me. I like it striahgt but not like straight all the time I like a little wave if possible. yes it sounds confusing but I got the picture in my head.

• I really like women with short hair. I feel it shows a certain level of boldness and confidence. :OP

• Depending on how it suits the girl. If she look like a girl in rehab then that a problem. But guy usually see most girl with long hair so it natural to see that. But then I have braids for a guy so It best for her to go with what make her happy.

• I think it all goes back millions of years back...It's encoded in our dna, represents beauty and good fertility, but we don't actually think about it counsouly

• it really doesn't matter, the fact that someone would break up with someone else over a hair style is effin retarded and is better without that person as a bf/gf

• Hair length, for me, is only a preference, not a must. I prefer longer hair, at least to the shoulders. Most men that prefer longer hair are of the belief it is more feminine and more beautiful than short hair. Length is the only preference I have related to hair style, I don't mind the other stuff. Red is preferable though as far as color XD

• long is feminine. subconsciously it means there really healthy and fertile. short means dried up and close to death.

• I must completely agree with that statement. Doing a doggy or cowgirl with a girl with hair down her back or to her ass is so much more enjoyable. You will never understand that from a female perspective.

• Why is long over short? Because long-haired girl looks more feminine. And guys love it to have a feminine partner, rather than a tomboy. You know what? Femininity is something that guys don't have. That's why they crave for it!"Men generally prefer feminine women over the tomboys. It's not something that should surprise us. In every relationship men and women look for the quality that they lack of so that they can complement each other. And the quality that men hopelessly lack of is: femininity. So, if you want men to be more attracted to you, dress up femininely and act like a lady!". Source: link

• "And guys love it to have a feminine partner, rather than a tomboy. * unfortunately not true for where I live

• because long hair makes girls looks much more feminine and better looking than short hair

• she looked cute to you. but...she may have looked sexy to him. it doesn't matter what you think of her hair. it matters what he thinks. ur not dating her. LOL

• i prefer long hair, I think long hair makes them appear more feminine/girly

• Cant have liked her much if he dumped her because she changed her hair lol.

What Girls Said 8

• wow her boyfriend sounds shallow. it's because guys are mostly visual unfortunately, there are a few who have substance but the majority, I'd say 2/3 just care about what's on the outside, appearance and care nothing about what a girl is like inside, and the rare 1/3 of all guys actually care more than just about hair, make up etc. but it's rare.

• Ur going off topic here. ur calling men shallow (which we arent). and you're not answering the specific question of why do men like longer hair?

• I actually think she's right. And if what she is saying doesn't apply to you, then OMG you are a rare creature indeed.

• Every guy I know likes long hair, well except for one but I'm sure he's gay. I think guys prefer longer hair because it's more feminine, sexy, and almost every women can pull it off(unless you have very thinning hair). Short hair conversely is more masculine, more cute(in a more childish, less sexy way), and not every woman can wear short hair well(i.e. I have a more round face, and don't look very well with short hair).

• Longer hair because it's more girlie. (like me lol) But um.. Everybody has there own likes and dislikes. so if I have you a length it'll be just an opinion. If I liked it and you cut your hair that way someone else might not like it.

• I have very long straight hair and have noticed that more guys will come up to me and comment on my hair than any other feature. Honestly, I do have just as many women who will complement my hair - I've had more than one conversation about it in the ladies room. Long hair may not always be the current trendy style but it is pretty especially if it looks touchable.Men are visual and long hair stands out and as others have said its very feminine in our culture. I also find that when I date a man they like to play with my hair - its sensual but not sexual and 99% of the time its the first place a man ever tries to touch me. I'll never cut my hair and most men I have dated would have been very dissapointed if I did. My ex used to jokingly say that was grounds for divorce.

• I'm in the exact same boat as you. I have naturally blond wavy hair down to the small of my back and its usually the first thing people of both sexes comment on. Long hair is classic, I feel like you really can't go wrong (unless its past your butt, that's too far). I too have been threatened if I cut my hair hahaha some very creative threats.

• Usually guys attracted to a girl who have long hair.

• not all guys like long hair and not all guys like short hair, I suppose if they love you then they won't care what you look like because they love you for who you are, not what you look like and they fell in love with you not your looks, although they have to be attracted to you...xx thanks hope this helped xxx

• I do not think it has anything to do with fertility and health, haha. Hair is dead cells like fingernails and dead skin. I have known health nuts with short hair and drug addicts with super long hair, so a clue to someones health and fertility, I think not. My boyfriend has very long hair, rocker look, and I have a cute chin lenth bob which is very fashion forward right now. Hair has nothing to do with gender roles or attractivness. There are hot guys with long and short, and hot women with long and short hair. Short hair is more edgy, and long hair is often plain Jane, not "different" depending on how you style it. Edgy, modern, rocker chicks look hot with a ( good style ) shorter hair cut and many guys find it extreamly HOT! It's all about how your style compliments your face, male and female. All face shapes look different with different styles, not all faces are flattering with long, or short, and trust me, it's All About the Cut. You wanna be hot? Go see a good Hair Dresser! They will know what will flatter your particular face shape and give you a great cut accordingly, if it makes you look less hot, then don't see them again. My best advice, before taking drastic measures with your hair, do some research and if you see a girlfriend with a super cute cut that makes her look smokin', ask her where she got it done and the phone #... but on the other hand, a guy who would dump a woman over something as superficial as hair, is not a keeper, nor in love, maybe they have some odd hair fetish. My man would be by my side and tell me I was beautiful if I had chemotherapy and went completely bald. No worries honey. Ur not missing anything with that loser. Take a deep sigh of relief that he showed his true colors and left before y'all had kids and you were stuck with a caveman. " me woman have long hair to drag her around, oaf oaf!"

• I hope guys like longer hair because mines to my hips! And I'm NEVER going to cut it! Lol