Why do people think that aesthetics are a feminine trait, when it's a unisex trait?

People always say that aesthetics equals beauty, beauty is a feminine trait. People say that only feminine looking men have aesthetics. Why can't masculine looking men have aesthetics? Aesthetics is anything that is pleasing to the eye, like art. So by this logic, male modeling is pointless. I'm a straight man so of course I find women aesthetically appealing but I wish women would find men more aesthetically appealing than women.

Most Helpful Girl

• I find men aesthetically appealing! If they take care of themselves of course, same with women

Most Helpful Guy

• You are overthinking the semantics here. Beauty is generally used to describe aestetically pleasing women, that's right, but this doesn't mean that men can't be aesthetically pleasing as well, because they can be. Period.

Those people you are refering to probably used beauty as a synonym for aesthetics because it was the only one that came to mind. Those words still can be and are used in different ways.

And male modeling obviously isn't pointless, otherwise it wouldn't be such a big thing, right?

• 23d

Does a man need to look feminine to be aesthetically appealing?

• 23d

What about when it comes the face. Can a man with a masculine looking (strong jaw, hollow cheeks, smaller eyes) face be aesthetically appealing?

• 23d

Sure. Dude, just listen to the girls, when they tell you what they find appealing. They don't lie.

What Girls Said 3

• No. Lol it means you're gay. Simple

• Women weren't allowed to make decisions on their mate for centuries - so of course the handsome men that they naturally lusted for were put down by other men.

• They do... it's called a sexy handsome rugged man. Not a womanly looking pretty boy. Tbh, only teen girls or undercover lesbians like those girly looking pretty boys.
    But i think most straight girls "find men more aesthetically appealing than women" or do you think when we get crushes on guys it's because they've got a nice walk?

• 24d

I think women only like men for their personality, I find it hard to believe that women actually like how men look.

• 24d

Yea. You need help man.
      Anyway, plenty of women have told you they can find men hot. So really, you're just thinking what you want to think and leaving it at that.

• 24d

I have already gotten "help" but I still worry about how women actually look at men.

What Guys Said 4

• Dude - LISTEN TO WHAT WE ARE SAYING
    Women do find men physically attractive. Have you never heard of Chris or Liam Hemsworth, or Bradley Cooper?
    Men and women think differently, yes, but you're blowing this way out of proportion.

• 24d

In what way do women like men?

• 24d

I know, you should try listening when people answer your questions.

• 24d

I do but a lot of people don't explainit good. I still don't know why play girl failed.

• Aesthetics have never been a masculine trait. Masculinity is more about what a man can do. Before modern times men were the hunters and protectors of the tribe - how they looked wasn't important. If they looked pretty but couldn't fight, weren't smart enough or competent enough to survive, the whole tribe was at risk. He would be useless. It was all about strength, competence, courage - that's what masculinity is. Women however have always been valued based on their ability to carry children. The things men look for and find attractive are signs of fertility and good genes for childbirth - physical beauty.

• 24d

So are men ugly?

• 24d

Yeah, most do. But the guys who obsess with aesthetics, like male models, look quite feminine. That's the point I'm trying to make.

• 24d

I don't get how masculine men can be attractive to women if they don't have aesthetics.

• Here we go with a generalization again.

• You're right but I guess they don't look at guys the same way or it doesn't matter since they do look for other traits in us they like

• 24d

It's sad they only care about non physical traits.

• 24d

Do they look at men in the same way us straight guys look at other guys?

• 24d

I hope not, there will be things on men that turn them on that we would never even notice