What do you think about natural hair on black women?

2 years ago when I got my first job, I wore my hair in its natural state (curly) and my boss had told me that it was "unprofessional" and "unkempt" and I had to straighten it. Honestly I would've walked out of there after she basically told me she didn't "approve" of the hair that grow out of my head but I needed that job at the time LOL.
So how do you describe natural hair on black women/women of color in general?
Examples:

What Guys Said 9

• Seriously she told you that? What was the job? Do you still work there? You should of really filed a complaint at the time. Thats are lawsuit waiting to happen. There are some jobs where they can demand you do something but those are usually model jobs.
    I like it when it's natural.

• The girls in the pic kinda look like Sideshow Bob.

upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c8/C-bob.png

I've seen black girls with better styled natural hair.

• 17d

I completely disagree but not surprised hence you probably lack in knowledge of black hair and culture.

• 17d

You disagree that I've seen black girls with better styled natural hair? Okay.

• I'm not a fan of curly hair, but I find it stupid that she told you you should straighten it. It's your natural hair, you shouldn't have to change it. As long as it's clean, you shouldn't have to change it.

• I like it when they do their hair naturally.

• Beautiful.

• I like it.

• can look good

• Uh, braids don't form naturally...

• If it's natural, what's the prob?

What Girls Said 13

• I hate when people who aren't black tell me my hair isn't professional or looks weird natural. Like kiss my ass, my hair is thick, healthy, and beautiful, and you're just a hater.

• I love it! Two years ago, I decided to wear my natural hair and I don't regret my decision.
    Every day, when I go out I see more and more black women wearing natural hair. And that makes me happy.

• I'm a black female, and i actually wear my hair in braids and I work around mostly whites. Luckily, I haven't had someone talk negatively about it nor anyone from corporate ask me to change it. This is a tough one for me because I would say change it to keep your job. But then again no because if you do that then you might find yourself constantly stressing and worrying about how you appear to whites. And you shouldn't live your life like that. Find a job where your natural hair is acceptable. There are many black women who wear their natural hair and have professional jobs in Corporate America. This is something that we deal with on a daily basis. So I can understand where you are going through. Find a career where your comfortable and dont have to change for the sake of not offended these r&cist white folks.

• I adore it, i'm all natural after years of being on the creamy crack and I must say wowwww best choice I've ever made this far.

• I find it beautiful and natural is always best , I've always wanted those beautiful curls

• First of all, good for you for going natural. Secondly, I believe that may be discrimination. Did your boss want you to pin it up or something?

• I think natural, when kept correctly (oils etc), is the only kind of hair I like on black women. Weaves look weird, straightening it is bad for it and makes it look dead. Curly or bald really suits black women.

• 16d

It depends on the color of the woman for me. Like I'm fairly light skin and when my hair is straight, I'm often mistaken as hispanic. But my sister is darker than me and has dreads and before that, a huge afro. I wouldn't look as good with dreads and an afro (plus, I don't really have a fro, my hair is straight in the front for some reason) as she does but she wouldn't look as good with straight hair like I do. So it's more the person than it is them just being black.

• 16d

That's not the rule, though.

• 15d

@Elarra kinda is... for someone to have lighter skin there has to be a gene causing it.

• It's pretty bitchin'. You should see my roommates hair. It's amazing.

• How tf is it 'unnatural and unkempt'?

• Beautiful and healthy

• I want mine to be as nice as the first girl's

• It's freaking awesome!

• Looks cool to me.