Sewing your own clothes?

Does anyone here do that? How did you get started? How can someone with virtually NO knitting/sewing skills make their own tops, dresses and stuff? I think that would be really cool to do

Most Helpful Girl

• I am a clothing designer, and know a lot about sewing.

You can begin sewing without any experience. If you don't already have a sewing machine, I suggest scanning Craigslist or Ebay for used sewing machines. My favorite brands are Babylock and Brother, but for a beginning sewer, Singer works well too. You don't need to spend more than $200 for a machine, and you can get one for brand new at that price. If you purchase one at a local sewing machine shop, it will be a little more, but they offer free lessons to go with it. However, if you buy a used one off of Craigslist/Ebay, you can usually download the manuals somewhere off the internet.

Next, head to your local fabric store, such as Hancock Fabrics or JoAnne Fabrics. Start looking through the pattern books, such as Simplicity, Butterick, and McCall's. Look for garments you like, and look for the difficulty level that says "Easy" (or, even better, "Very Easy). These patterns have step-by-step instructions on how to cut and sew this fabric. Start with patterns that don't have buttons or zippers, such as tent dresses, slip on tops, elastic waist skirts, etc.

When you choose your fabrics, the pattern will have suggestions on what kind of fabric to select. I would avoid any kind of stretchy knit fabrics--these are a little harder to work with. If you need help, the employees at the fabric store can help you.

Good luck, and if you need any additional help, message me. :)

What Guys Said 1

• Just get your grandma to do it. That's what I do.

What Girls Said 1

• Take a class! I did, they have a lot at churches, community colleges, and senior citizen centers(I know, haha lame, but they're nice and have way more experience than some 20 year old teacher).

They really help you, and if you have no craft skills whatsoever, this is probably what you'll need to do, so you can learn the basics and then some.

good luck!(: