Do you think using permanent hair dyes is safe?

I've been reading a lot of mixed reviews on the safety of hair dyes. Some say they're carcinogenic, others say they're fine. I was thinking of ombre-ing my hair... I think it would look pretty cool, but I'm not really interested in increasing my risk of cancer.

What Guys Said 4

• People who live in America are really getting the shaft from the FDA when it comes to potentially harmful substances in circulation.
    Better read the label to make sure there aren't any Phenylenediamine then.

I've googled a bit of the alternatives to ugh... Benzene-1,4-diamine , let's just call it that. I can't remember long names with no structure. Here's what I've found

Alternative dye substances:
    1: 2,5-Diaminotoluene - not carcinogenic
    toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/.../a
    2: 2,4,5,6-Tetraaminopyrimidine - TD50 , 600mg/kg through intraperitoneal injections. Assuming you aren't stabbing yourself with a syringe full of hairdye. No worries.
    www.lookchem.com/2-4-5-6-Tetraaminopyrimidine/
    3: Indophenols. Don't eat it , don't let it get in your eye , don't inhale it , but even then it'll be a mild irritant.
    http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9924368

I don't have access to the MSDS datasheets but if you're interested you can look em up. I'm sure you'll find a way.
    https://www.msds.com/

• 14d

As I read more about it , when you dye your hair you're basically bathing your hair in ammonia , then you soak it in an oxidizing agent to lift the natural hair pigment , after that you wash away the pigment , replace it with an artificial dye , then you reseal the cuticles.

Sounds... hardcore.

• Everything kills you, and one in three people gets cancer. You can't live your life in fear.

Always test the product somewhere else first before you apply the whole thing. I've used permanent dyes with no problem. I have friends who constantly dyed their hairs all sorts of colours and they're all fine too.

• I feel like almost everything we use has been found to increase cancer risk. :/

• Maybe you will turn into a teenage mutant ninja turtle... If you like pizza it could be fun... P. S. Aromatic amines aren't too fun...

What Girls Said 6

• It depends entirely on what you're using on your hair. Some hairdyes use amonia for example, which naturally isn't good, but there's ways to protect your hair if you are considering colouring it.

First and foremost:

- Trim it regularly
    - Don't overwash it (it's a thing, stripping your hair of natural oils on too consistent of a basis is a no-no)
    - Use treatments at least semi regularly.
    - And a neat trick for people who want to drastically change their hair colour, and subsequently need to bleach it, putting raw coconut oil on your hair before applying bleach can help protect it from damage. And no, it doesn't effect the processing of the bleach either.

As for hair dye killing you? Well, I've dyed my hair plenty, and I've yet to get cancer from it, nor have I ever heard of anyone getting cancer from it, but then again just about anything can apparently give you cancer these days. It's just up to you on how much it freaks you out vs. how much you want awesome hair.

Dye safely my friend.

• No. I continuously dyed my hair with permanent colours from the age of 11 to 20 probably over a hundred times. I'm very familiar and professional with it, and learned my lesson the hard way. The harsh ammonia can severely damage the scalp by permanently stunting hair growth through ruined hair follicles. Honestly I'm not going to get into all the little details. While I don't believe it can cause cancer, which is a stretch in my opinion, it is overall unhealthy and toxic for your hair. I officially stopped dying my hair 6 months ago and finally my hair is beginning to shine again with healthy growth and is softening. If you really want to try ombré hair, go for it, but be cautious, *especially* if it involves bleach. Personally, I don't recommend it and will never be dying my hair again.

• As long as you do a patch test, I think it's fine. And meh, everything is a cancer risk now :P If you're concerned about the damage of permanent hair dye, you could always try semi-permanent? My semi-permanent colour lasts roughly two to three weeks and it contains no peroxide or ammonia to damage the hair.

• All I know is that I quit dyeing my hair for the past three months and it's growing so quickly and looking so healthy!

• definitely patch test

• PPD us fine I think, you just need to patch test. Or just watch for symptoms. You can get it from henna too, like when people get henna tattoos.

Cancer risk? Meh... what isn't a cancer risk these days? I think used in moderation, it's fine. Like baby powder has got chemicals in that can cause cancer too, but it's the way it's used, so it's fine. Even for babies.