It's my body, I do what I want! - What's that all about?

I've seen a couple of questions from chicks about their significant others not wanting them to get tattoos. Many of the answers involve something along the lines of "it's your body so do what you want."

If this is true, why wouldn't it be okay for a guy to go out and have sex with random loose women when his significant other says she doesn't want him to. It's his body right? Why can't he put his appendage wherever he wants?

Explain please.

Just to let you all know, I'm not trying to be confrontational. I'm just seriously wondering why I don't see more answers about understanding and consideration of others' feelings, and instead I see basically "Do what you want; nobody matters but you."

Most Helpful Guy

• If someone was going to have the same intense emotional response to you getting a tattoo as you cheating on them, then I think you would think twice about getting a tattoo. Its the difference between taking candy from a baby and taking candy from hitler's baby.

• So a guy has to go out of his way to avoid invoking an emotional response of a woman, but women don't have to do the same to men? If people really care about each other shouldn't they take each other's feelings into serious consideration regardless of how slight the emotional "damage" could possibly be?

• If someone isn't going to have a negative emotional response to something then there is no problem in doing that said thing. Many couples have open relationships and some even say "swinging" is what keep the relationship together, but if someone doesn't want you to get a tattoo and feels strongly about it, you need to think about maybe that not being the person you want to be with or not getting the tattoo. I don't think people should tip toe around little things tho, you have to make compromis

• That makes sense. Thanks for explaining.

What Girls Said 6

• Tattoos aren't a breach of the relationship contract, cheating is. This is why people give the whole "its your body do as you wish." I has to do with the life liberty and pursuit of happiness until your right to do that affects someone else's right to do so. Tattoos have no direct affect on someone else's right to those. In cheating it is directly affecting someone else because there is an unsaid contract between the two that there is a monogamous relationship and cheating breaks that contract. Thus your right to the pursuit of happiness with another woman ends there- until that first relationship ends and that unsaid contract is no longer valid.

• The two aren't comparable. You're making it seem like a gender issue, but it's not, you're just taking two things related to bodies and throwing gender in as the dividing point. If a guy were to say that he wanted a tattoo but his girlfriend was against it, people would still tell him that it's his body, so it's his decision to make. If a girl said that she wanted to have sex with random men while her boyfriend was against it, she would still be told that it's cheating, just like a guy would.

Apples and oranges, my dear.

• I'm not trying to make it a gender issue, but I just think the whole "it's my body, so I'll do what I want" stance is a bit ridiculous no matter who it's used for. I just don't think it's a good argument. I think people should value the views of their significant other(s) a bit more.

• No. I see both sides, but I'm wondering where people are supposed to draw the line. I can't see why it's a big deal to not get a tat. I want a couple, but if I had a girlfriend who didn't want me to, I wouldn't get them.

• It depends on how adamant both parties are. If someone really wanted a tattoo and their significant other was strongly opposed to it, it would most likely became an "it's my body" issue. If the person wasn't that into tattoos and their significant other was opposed to them, it wouldn't be a big deal, and it wouldn't be a big deal if the person really wanted a tattoo and their partner was fine with it. That's what determines the line.

• "It's your body so do what you want," doesn't apply when it also affects the womans body as well. Besides the emotional damage that would cause the girl, you have to think of the consequences of sleeping around, such as STIs, UTIs, and bacterial infections. Unfortunately women are much more susceptible to these then men are. Thus when you do go back and sleep with your girl, you can pass on one of these lovely infections/diseases to your girl while you can remain unaffected.

• Cheating doesn't guarantee any health issues, and let's pretend there was no such thing as STDs, etc. I'm fairly certain cheating would still not be acceptable. What about the emotional damage that could be done to the significant other of a girl getting a tattoo? Several people view getting a tattoo as self harm, so to some it could be as bad as watching a girlfriend/wife cut herself.

• Its all relative, everyone has different values. If you consider tattoo's an infliction of self harm, you're hardly likely to date someone who is covered in them. In some relationships, cheating is acceptable. On the other hand, some people believe adultery should be illegal and governed by the legal system. Again, the way you view it is relative to the next person. Getting a tattoo however is generally considered more personal and doesn't bring the same emotional impact to others as cheating

• Because sex with another woman is cheating. tattoo is simply putting art on your body.

Technically yes, it is your body and you can choose to have sex with as many women as you want. However, within the confines of a monogamous relationship, sleeping with other women is wrong because its understood that you two are to only be with each other and not be with another woman. Sex and tattoos have no parallel in this situation.

• It is still their body, and they /can/ do what they want. Relationships are emotional though, so all the rules automatically change. Technically, they are still free to do whatever they please, but a relationship is generally about devoting yourself to that one person (or two + if you're polyamorous) and no one else, in that way.

SO it's really all just emotional strings, and all that stuff. :1

• It's good.

What Guys Said 4

• quote from the last toolbender; "If this is true, why wouldn't it be okay for a guy to go out and have sex with random loose women when his significant other says she doesn't want him to. It's his body right? Why can't he put his appendage wherever he wants?"... that's where you said it you cretinous myopic stain!

• Yes. I know that's what I said. Scrolling up on the page is not such an arduous task that I need you repeating it. I appreciate your concern though.

• YAWN, you bore me now child... Sit on the naughty step for 13 minutes, one minute for every year of your life...

• Lol. Wow. Was that supposed to be an insult? Nothing wrong with being 13 dude. We were all there once. I'm 16 fyi. Learn how to read.

• Tattoos on girls ...ugh

• just a way of making people shut up weneva they say it

• You stupid little sh*t, do you not see the emotional difference between getting a little ink done and sticking your d*** into another bint... Or maybe you would f*** the crack of dawn if it had any hair on it... You douche! You have never been cheated on...

• Lol. I wasn't attacking you. No need to get ass-hurt. Oversensitive puss*es like yourself are no fun.

• Boo hoo, no sympathy mate, you cannot be serious that you consider a tattoo to be as hurtful as someone cheating on you...

• When did I ever say that? Have you been making idiotic assumptions again? *tsk* *tsk*