Girls, how do you put eyeliner on the waterline?

Whenever I touch it, I flinch and the eyeliner goes everywhere. Then it stings. And even if you do manage to get it on, how do you make it stay there?

And how do you put eyeliner around where your lashes are? If you skip that area, there are dots of skin color showing between the lashes, but if I try going over the lashes I flinch again, the line is never sharp, and don't even get me started on liquid eyeliner. How do I do this? Man I suck at makeup

Most Helpful Girl

• Do you have a cosmetic sponge? Like a beauty blender?

If you do, place it gently yet firmly underneath your eye, where your "eye bags" would be to hold that area steady instead of pulling it down, then you can run the (preferably rounded surface) of the eyeliner stick GENTLY against the waterline. To prevent smudging I suggest a waterproof formula. If you are finding that it stings, you may have to consider skin allergies or if that particular formula is right for you. I personally use the Marc Jacobs eyeliner for my waterline and it's wonderful.

Also, to the latter: tight lining. This is basically the reverse waterline, where you put eyeliner on the underside of your top eyelid to blend your lash line evenly.

0/2500

Send It!

What Guys Said 3

• Don't do it !! :P I don't anything near my eyes either ^^ I watched a makup tutorial once and it made me cringe with the eye stuff. Just don't wear it that's my opinion ;)
    Also FursroDAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :P

• 1|0
  • Once you get an answer can u tell me so I can start wearing contacts

• 5d

I don't think getting a better brand of pencil will help you with your contacts problem, sorry dude

What Girls Said 17

• Use your index finger and middle finger to stretch out your waterline and Go slowly in one direction when applying.
    The best eye liner brands are: Maybelline, Revlon, Urban Decay's 24/7 eye liner, and Almay - 16 hours.
    If it smears or rubs, put a little black eye shadow on it to keep it from smearing.
    I hope that helps ! :)

• what kind of eyeliner are you using? get the kind that has a very thin brush then apply it along the eyeline bottom lids very carefully of course with a good steady hand then make sure you also use mascara... why would it drip for you and smudge unless it's a very bad brand you using... yes liquid.. pencil doesn't look as good... get a better brand don't get the cheapest kind

• 5d

Ohh of course! I need to get a better brand! I was using a blackish cheap pencil and it's not even sharp and it smudges a lot
      Should I have a pencil liner or like a gel liner?

• 5d

gel it looks a lot better... much sharper looking too... pencil liner isn't good enough... maybe for lip liner but definitely not eyeliner

• Be sure to use a pencil eyeliner or a soft non liquid loner. Liquid liner will run right into your eye and burn. It's easier to do the bottom but with much practice. Make sure you have a steady hand, otherwise you will stab you eye.

• Eyeliner as in a gel formula? Then no, it's not meant to be used on the waterline. If that's the case, then this is why you are struggling with it. It would be easier if you use a really smooth and creamy eye pencil. The ones with with a thick tip like these ones from Nyx
    www.wiseshe.com/.../...Jumbo-Eye-Pencil-photos.jpg
    Forget the harsh pencils and never use liquid liners anywhere else besides using it on the eyelid for a cat eye effect.

• I don't know what type of eye liner you use and what type of eyes you have so I can't tell you exactly what to do with your waterline. However, I'm gonna tell you what I always do with my eyes in case it help:) My eyes type is very hooded Asian eye that what supposed to be my double lid hidden under the hoods so they look like monolid with thick skin. It is a very challenging type of eyes to put on make up. What I do with eyeliner (liquid) is I use a finger to lift my hoods up then apply it and keep holding the hood till the liner is set and dry. Same with waterline I pulled down my cheeks to do it. Another easier way is instead of applying the whole line at once, apply in 'dots' over the sensitive areas. Dots dry easier than lines so it wouldn't get much smudgy.

• 5d

I have very hooded eyes, my eyeshadow transfers onto the hood all the time... I think I need some "setting powder" but I haven't found any yet

• 5d

Is there a difference between foundation and primer? I have foundation but not primer

• 5d

Yes, foundation = makes your skin looks smooth , cover marks, pimple or whatever
      Primer = makes (ensure that) makeup stick to your skin
      :)

• The normal eyeliner pencil? It's not hard at all. Unless you're using a bad eyeliner or liquid eyeliner to do it. You need to put it lightly on, it doesn't usually come unless you're crying. This is the area you're talking about, right?
    www.herworldplus.com/.../...eliner%20WATERLINE.png

• Are you using liquid eyeliner?

• be very gentle

• Practise makes perfect hun 💙

• Are you using a pencil on your waterline?

• I put it on the outside haha you can see it in my pic if you look close.

• I don't know how to explain it tho but i know how to do it well

• Go and stand on the waterline and then apply a layer of eyeliner to it.

• Pencil liner is easier to apply I don't where makeup unless it's for a special occasion and I can even apply that stuff so try that

• Use pencil liner, usually only the expensive stuff is the stuff that will last. Maybe go to Sephora and ask.

• easy it just takes practice

• hi, im no expert but get a small sponged tip piece of equipment and slightly wet it in your mouth and place into your eyeliner colour lets say black, put your hand on your upper eyelid and lift up, you are going to brush along the base of your eye lashes from outside edge to inner edge backwards and forwards, try it a couple of times and let go and have a look at the effect. you can continue to get a stronger effect, im sharing this with you as i have never ever been able to do liquid eye liner in a straight line, its the best I've every achieved after getting this base line effect you can add a little edge by shutting the eye and adding a little stroke to the outside edge of the eye kicking out away from the eye you can also add this defintion to the bottom line edge also creating the cats eye effect, i admit far less than the you tube type stuff but hey we are only mere mortals. hope this helps xx