How do you feel about people telling girls that are overweight to wear whatever they want?

Honestly, I don't like it. Before anyone gets mad, I'm 4'11 and weigh 210. And yes I know I'm overweight I'm losing weight, I use to weigh 250. But I don't think a girl should wear whatever she wants, because she might get bullied
The post said:
If you want to wear it! Wear it!
If you want to wear a crop top? Wear it!
Want to wear short shorts? Wear it!
Want to wear a bikini? Wear it!
I want every girl to have confidence in herself and to love who they are, but I just don't agree with this.
I'm not trying to be mean. And no one deserves to be bullied. I have seen girls in college being mean towards girls that wore certain types of clothing.

Most Helpful Guy

• "I have seen girls in college being mean towards girls that wore certain types of clothing."

Really? Guess some girls think they're still in high school... But yeah I understand what you mean. I think it's also just fashion. I used to be super scrawny and there were just certain clothes and styles that would look bad on me because I was scrawny but after becoming active I wear them now because now they look good on me.

Hey congratulations though on losing weight! 40lbs is an accomplishment.

• I actually thought going to college would be great because usually acting popular or being a bully no one doesn't do that in college but I guess I was, but my dad told me everyone is a bully not matter how old you are, my dad was lifting weights and he heard these guys laughing at a guy that was overweight, like seriously? Obviously he's trying to lose weight because he's at the gym exercising.
      Right that is true, I mean I can were clothes in the junior section but I don't because I still don't look right.
      And thank you, it really means a lot.

• I really hate people like that at the gym it shouldn't even be allowed. Gym staff needs to crack down on it. People are paying money to be fit not to be harassed.

• Right exactly! Because my dad manager is afraid to go to the gym and it's really sad. The gym is for everyone to lose weight, gain muscle, etc. No one should be afraid to go to the gym.

Most Helpful Girl

• I used to work in retail and by trade, would have to help women select clothing options. Most were aware of their size and chose clothes that looked good for their body with my help. I was always encouraging and would give them tips on how to show off their specific best features. However, there were some who would insist on picking clothing too small, and too tight, or items that did not show them off in a good way. I would try my best to steer them to clothes that fit or looked good, but for some, there was a a lot of denial happening or just breaks with reality. I mean how else do you describe someone that needs a plus 20, asking for a medium... in juniors?

Your size doesn't matter, thin, average, overweight, tall, short, whatever. Not every article of clothing works for everyone. Those that understand this, look for clothes that make them look amazing and of course, the world responds as such, but those that just wear what they want just because a designer makes it, are missing out and as you intuit, are getting bullied and made fun of which is awful and no people shouldn't do that, but it's life, and you do what you can to help, but if someone wants to continue in that way, than yeah, they can wear what they want and deal with whatever comes their way. It's their life end of the day.

• Thank you I totally understand now, when I was 250, it honestly took me awhile to realize that I can't shop at the same stores as my friends but now seeing stores that has cute clothes for overweight girls, no girl should feel ashamed and can still look beautiful. But now I understand now.

• And that's just it. You may have to look a little harder, but there are clothes that will show off the best you. I hate that people think they need to force themselves into a trend or a size because they think that's the only way. It isn't! We need to get out of this perfect body size mentality and realize there is a good look for ev-er-y-one!

0/2500

Send It!
Sponsored

What Guys Said 16

• I think they can wear whatever they want... but they gotta accept that people will say and think whatever they want. Though I think instead of telling them they can wear whatever they want, we should tell them to hit the gym.
    Nobody cares about what you're wearing if you're dead.

• Yes that is true, but no one deserves to be bullied and after witnessing what those girls are doing, sometimes you have to think if it's really worth it. Someone commented that and everyone got mad and treated him like he was a bad guy.

• People should wear clothing they feel comfortable in. Your presenting yourself with whatever you wear. If its less clothing, more of your body is showing, you are presenting more of your body. If you have a good style you are presenting and associating your self with that style. If your fashion choice doesn't match you it could leave you feeling out of place, uncomfortable and unable to be yourself.

• I totally agree with you.
      When I was 250 the clothes I had to wear, I felt uncomfortable. I was 22 wearing plus size women clothes and I was not happy. But seeing stores that has very cute clothes for girls my age and younger, they can still look great wearing them.

• This is America, if someone bullies you they have to deal with the repercussions of that. No one has a right to talk to you about anything in public. Wear what you want to wear, if someone doesn't like it they can move to a country where there are no freedoms.

• I was asked by a co-worker some time ago if I thought she was fat, in which I said "yes, I think you do something your weight" and she was beyond resented with me.

Bottom line, if you don't want to hear what you deep down probably know people will say about your appearance, don't ask.

I think the way some fat women dress is vomit-inducing but I don't go around telling them, unless they ask.

As for people encouraging those fat women to wear whatever they want. They definitely have an underlying issue that makes them care so much. They are maybe fat themselves, and wish society lowers to their standards of beauty, OR they are sadistic individuals that internally like to see obese people making an ass out themselves while putting up sheep clothing and smiling at them.

• Right because some people will say the truth instead of lying.
      I can understand that, and I hope that's not the reason, because people can be really cruel, I get teased at and I hate seeing others getting bullied.

• I think anyone, overweight or not, should wear whatever tf they want. No exceptions.

I also think that people should accept the consequences of their choices and not act surprised and butthurt when people mock you relentlessly for walking around in something completely disgusting.

• I don't think anyone should be bullied for the way they look. That being said, yes, you can wear whatever your want but don't expect people to think you are attractive. Some overweight people seem to be wearing really skimpy clothing as more of a protest rather than thinking it is flattering on them. If you don't wear something figure flattering then obviously you won't look good. Then they use the "this is what real women look like" excuse. All women are real women.

• Right. And that is true. I applaud women that wears clothing that a skinny girl wears because I can't do that. I don't even like wearing swimming suits because you can tell how big I am. But women needs to be careful because some girls like myself can't handle criticism very well. And they will get depressed if they were getting teased, just because she was wearing something that showed some of her fat.

• I still tell people to wear what they want
    I mean even hot perfect 10s get bullied because people are jealous of them

• Girls should wear clothes that are not overly revealing and fit/look well on their body.

In regards to heavier set girls, they should dress accordingly, with looser dresses and clothing. etc.

You are absolutely right and agree with you 100%

• Right, and exactly, I can fit certain clothes too, but I can't because it's not made for me. And thank you.

• I agree with you wholeheartedly!

Especially the big girls in yoga pants. I wonder if they own mirrors or what the hell?

• Yes they own mirrors but I guess they think they look good because apparently they are telling overweight girls if they look good and can fit it, wear it.

• Congrats on the weight loss so far. People should wear what they want but be aware that others will tear them down. BITCHES be tripping. Never forget that

• Thank you. And yes that is true, yes I definitely agree, I've been bullied just because my breasts are huge. That's something I will never forget.

• U wear anything U wish. love your body not opinions.

• Damn bitch you huge lol

• you should be able to wear whatever you want regardless of what others say

• To me it's not about weight but decency. The way our society treats modesty I do not like.

• I can understand what you are saying.

• I never understood it. And they try to make me wear certain shirts that shows cleavage, I really can't wear that. My boobs are to big for cleavage shirts. Plus I don't like attention and it's enough I get it already, I don't want anymore.

• Bless your heart. I wish there more like you

• I mean it's good to give people confidence but telling someone who isn't suited for a specific type of clothing to wear it will only make them look silly and eventually embarrass them lowering their self confidence. But for all I care overweight people or anyone for that matter can do anything they please I'm not in a place to judge.

• Right that's what I was thinking.
      I believe in loving the way you are but it will be hard if people going to talk about you. I've been through it and it was really hard for me to have confidence again.
      I understand.

• of course you can wear whatever you want. its your life. if you aren't bothered by walking around like a court jester, good on you!

What Girls Said 8

• First of all, congrats for losing 40lbs! I'm not in the best shape right now but I'm working on it as well. You don't have to justify your weight class to pose this question, btw:) For now, I'm not baring my arms until I tone them better or wear anything form-fitting until I lose more inches from my waist. I can't stand when bigger women wear a belt right below their chest instead of where their waist would be. Big girl clothes don't make sense. They don't necessarily flatter you even if they make them in your size.

• Thank you, and yes I know, I just wanted everyone know that I'm not a skinny girl saying this.
      I'm the same way, but seeing stores that sells plus size, like Torrid their clothes are really cute and I love shopping there. I will always adore clothing for skinny girls but I'm glad they are actually trying to make plus size clothing cute.

• the problem is not the clothes, the problem is the attitude of those people that feel like they have the right to tell someone what to wear and what not to.
    I personally think anyone should wear whatever they feel comfortable with.

The majority of people out there are judgmental, so you should be prepared to receive some judgment regardless of your size coz you never make everyone happy, that being said, as long as the person is comfortable with wearing short shorts, crop tops or whatever it is, is all good

• I understand, and you are so right, I know wearing certain clothing will give a lots of confidence but people are just so cruel. The girl that was getting bullied, she looked happy until the girls started saying something.

• You have to dress with things who fit your body type if not you ll not be looking at your best. So I think they're right. This in plus avoid bad remark from other. If you don't have a flat tummy and wore a tight shirt people will mock you, etc... So if you have a tummy it's better to not wear it.
    In France we have a show who explain what to wear / not to wear for your body type so you can look at your best.

• As longs as they don't squeeze themselves into their clothibg, their fine. Bullies bully anyways, whether you are thin, athletic, chubby or whatever.

• No just nooooo.

• I say it because I want people to feel comfortable in their own skin. No one should be put down because of their size. If they really wanted to wear a crop top but feel like they shouldn't cause they are too big, that's them not imbracing and loving them selfs. And unfortunately there are idiotic people who bully but don't let them ever get to you cause it's not worth it. But if you don't like people telling you what to wear that's fine. You just do and be yourself cause that's what matters.

• no one have rights to tell them what to wear

• I agree with you to a certain extent. If the overweight girl feels good wearing it, let her, but if she's gonna complain, then no.