Why are girls and women allowed to wear pants and cross dress when if boys and men wore dresses, they'd get laughed at?

Shouldn't girls and women get laughed at for wearing pants. The Bible clearly forbids cross dressing. Yes, pants were designed for men and no, they didn't have them in Jesus' time.

If females can be confident in pants, why can't males be confident in their skirts and kilts?

Men: be proud of your kilts and tunic brethren. Speak up, if need be to draw awareness and not let media belittle our great sex we experience,

Women: do not tolerate this double to continue in future generations. Speak up.

9017

Most Helpful Girl

• It is an effect of sexism towards women (although that may seem backwards). Women are associated with dresses and men with pants. Men are viewed highly by society so women are considered to be rising up when they wear pants. Women are lower so when a man wears a dress he is considered to be lowering himself to the status of women! For example, "hitting like a girl" is viewed to mean hitting poorly. "Crying like a girl" is viewed to mean a sign of weakness. I think everyone should be free to wear what they wish to wear but the best thing we can do to make that happen is try to make women (and thereby things that are considered feminine) considered better. If women are considered true equals to men (and thereby all things feminine) then dresses, crying, and being a stay at home parent will not hold the negative connotation it has today for men who do the same.

• That is so true. I have been mentioning the tomboy vs effeminate issue for awhile at different forums. I don't get as intelligent as answers as yours. I generally get the 'suck it up' and 'dude, you want to look like a faggot' type answers and it shows their intelligence isn't high.

You are a brilliant woman.

• Perfectly written! No need to say my opinion because you already did. :)

Most Helpful Guy

• If you want to wear dress or a skirt, go for it. I will not care what you wear

Sponsored

What Girls Said 89

• Isn't it an oxymoron to be a bible thumping sexist and a crossdresser? Jesus wore a dress... so can you. Good luck with your logic.

• Who says a dress says a man a cross dresses? I can say you wearing pants makes you a cross dresser. So when girls are tomboys, you agree? When boys are effeminate, you disagree?

So if a woman challenges a man's ideas. she's standing up to him but if a man challenges a woman's ideas, he's sexist?

• I meant to say, who says a dress makes a man...

• Rather be a Bible thumper than a wordly thumper.

• Men have been accepted in wearing kilts or skirts for many, many years. In earlier centuries men's fashion was based on robes or tunics in many cultures. And even high heels were originally designed for men. Women have a much harder time being accepted for their fashion choices.

• Pants are now unisex. About 100 years ago women would get dirty looks for wearing pants. And in the late 1800s women would even get arrested for wearing pants. That continued even until the 1960s, though less frequent
    So all it takes is for more men to wear dresses and about a 100 years for people to get used to it And be glad you're only being laughed at

• I don't know. I don't think it's fair I think men should wear what they want and women too. I honestly think it's still strange to some people because for millions of years the man was always a strong masculine figure and still is in most cases. Hopefully that could change soon I mean I live in Toronto and I don't think too many people care if a man cross dresses it's pretty common here and I think most people are accepting in Toronto. But I'm not a cross dresser so they know best this is just an assumption. Could be bad on their end I don't know.

• I think its apart of the double standards due to the good intentions of feminism, which has now turned into a band of feminazis who ruined the fight for equality. Society has tried to be more accepting for women being who they are but by doing so they expect men to be better and put men down. I still see a lot of shit for women acting manly at all, so its less of just "pants" and more of a cross dressing thing or acting more like the other gender. Women are expected to be ladylike while men are expected to be manly and strong.

• Well if pant's weren't around in biblical times then they could have been unisex and just changed over time to be for men. I think men look good in kilt's and makeup, the confidence that it takes to dress like that is hot. The patriarchy just screwed everyone up but giving men more masculine roles and expectations and women not so much because women were never considered capable of much. Technically women aren't allowed to cross dress we just do because girl power, sister suffragettes and confidence. If more men pushed the envelope and cross dressed more often with confidence it would be come acceptable. :)

• We should all just go back to loincloths

• It shouldn't be that way! I speak up all the time about it. I want to see a world where someone's way of dressing and they're sexuality doesn't make anyone bat an eye. I want a world where anyone can be who they want without judgement.

Plus, clothes and makeup are awesome why should girls be the only ones who get to play with it? ;)

• Why would a guy want to wear makeup?
      Would you be attracted to guys wearing makeup and a skirt?
      Guys will only care about wearing either protective gear or something that pleases women.
      Unless they are trying to attract other guys or other genders, I don't see why they would want to wear women's clothing or makeup.

• Actually, in ancient times, women, who worked in the fields shucking corn and planting seeds for their next harvest, had to wear pants. This was because when the women were some distance away from others, anyone could come upon her and rape her. It was far more difficult when the women wore pants. Harder work for the rapist, and more time to break away for them.

Also, whilst in battle, men were known for wearing skirts. Why? Pants chafed, and were difficult to climb with. Skirts had plenty of room, and they could climb stairs and hills quicker.

So the pants were used by women in Bible times, and in Rome. Ladies can wear pants if they please, men can wear skirts if they please. I see no difference.

• That's a valid point tbh it just the way most societies are conditioned. Just the way a girl can wear the exact same tracksuit as a man but he can't wear the same dress as her without some ridicule. Everyone has a right to dress as they please so do so freely and with confidence. You just have to accept the fact that depending on the society your in and their values on gender role and identification they may assume you to be homosexual or transsexual. As unfortunate as this may be this is just one of those things. You can't change the minds of every individual but you can embrace yourself and aim to be the best version of yourself, whatever you think that is. I live in the U. K. where t shirts and jeans are the norm but in other parts of the world wearing these is laughed at because their cultural dress is something different.

• I do not mean to come across rude or close minded and I hope people can see where I am coming from...
    pants were designed to be unisex so that's off the list already.
    Dresses are a global symbol for feminism - thus the idea of a masculine profile portraying such a feminine look can be often unpleasing to the average eye, it's how our brains were wired. It may even be distressing at times as to be frank, most guys seen wearing dresses in public are usually just 'taking the piss' and looking for attention.

• media4.giphy.com/media/wOzfGOVG5oapW/200w.gif

Stop being two faced. Partly for what @LittleSally said but, and I can't stress this enough.

WE DONT ALL SHARE YOUR RELIGION.

Religion is like a penis. You might have one, you might be proud of it, but don't shove it down others necks.

Speak to the meme if the hand ain't listening.

• Religion or not, it is still immoral to cross dress. I don't get why you are hating on my question.

• Well considering its a Patriarchal society, women are considered (Not that I Agree In anyway Nazi feminists) the "weaker" more childish sex, so women wearing men's clothes is in the men's eyes (Society wise everyone is different) its like a child playing dress up, its cute when they emulate men. Whereas if men wear skirts or kilts it is like they are emulating the Weaker sex and Is therefore viewed negatively for... I guess basically being a Pansy for it

Not saying its right, its just how it is,

• I won't laugh-promise. As long as you make that dress look good, I say "go for it". Ready to tackle the high heels now?

• well high heels were originally worn by men not women. Our culture is stupid, and it depends on where you live. If you want to live in a more liberal area then move to a more liberal area where people dont care about that stuff. And no conservative mindsets have a right to exist just like liberal mindsets do. So move to where it is welcome and you will be where you need to be.

• It would seem skirts and dresses protects men's private areas better and make more sense to be for them than women and pants makes more sense for women.

• no skirts for women make sense because it hides the space between their legs. that was the point of them.

• You mean no, skirts, not no skirts. You forgot the comma between no and skirts. That changes the perception.

• Personally I think it looks weird and I'm not a fan of the dressing but that's just my opinion... some people don't care. You shouldn't care about what I think, you're your own person. Everyone has their own judgements and you can't force them to think any differently. It's like trying to convince a gay person they're straight... everyone has their own prejudices and you have to respect that.

Even people that say they don't judge judge those that do judge, I hope you understand where I'm going. As long as it's not illegal, go for it. There's nothing that's universally accepted... get over it and learn how to appreciate differences between people. It brings a whole new light to life.

• Because masculinity is fragile and most men would feel horrible in feminie clothing. Hence they make fun of the concept.

• I've seen men wear dresses and I haven't laughed. Those who laugh are douches. Clothing is general neutral. I mean, even male babies were nightgowns sometimes, and in the past, male children wore dresses, men wore night gowns.

I'm really not sure why not all of society has caught up to the fact that it's just clothing.

• No girls shouldn't get laughed at for wearing pants because A) many people are atheists B) even if they aren't atheists, most Christian's are true fundamentals following everything such as not eating pig or wearing mixed fabric & C) laughing at women for their clothing choice doesn't make any sense and you can't shame people into changing. The you say "if females can be confident in pants, why can't males be confident in their skirts and kilts" which doesn't really make sense because you just suggested females should be laughed at for it... which I also want to point out that there is such think as going into a women's department and buying clothing designed for a women vs. a men's department so I don't think if it's designed w/ women in mind it's cross dressing. The younger generations and main stream media is ok with and supports genders not wearing traditional clothing associated with their gender and I don't think this is that pressing of an issue

• That face is not meant to be there

• Then according to your definition I'm sexist... C'est la vie, oh well I still think that. and someday when I meet a guy they will think the same thing as me. I think if you worked out you would be much stronger than a female and are probably naturally stronger and just don't realize it

• @Bonnie676
      Would you mind telling me about these views in private messaging?

• Toga or kilt party everyone (school girl skirt for girls?)! My house, Friday night. I think it's hilarious when men dress up as women for Halloween or for fun on TV. It's funny because it's uncomfortable but it breaks free from the norm. I get squirmish when I see women dressing up as men too. People love dressing up as something they don't usually wear. Kurt Cobain wore a dress in an interview once. Skirts are annoying to wear because they're hard to run in or they fly up in the wind.

Now what to do with the horrible tight clothes madness trend rampant. (I smell another poll...)

• I love a man in a kilt honestly, but that might be bc I'm scottish, but its 2k17, people are starting to embrace differences more and more

• Because dresses are more feminine. And if men wore them it would look weird because it would reveal their something. I believe it's because of that- skirts and dresses simply aren't designed for men. As for why women can wear pants, I think it's because pants are unisex.

• As to the Bible thing, The Mosaic Law does condemn cross dressing, but there's such think as trousers designed for women so it doesn't count. Styles have changed a lot but we still have a pretty distinct line between clothes for males and for females, so as long as your stick to your category you're good.
    Another interesting thing I notice- It's more acceptable for a man to have feminine facial features than a woman to have masculine ones.
    I Guess it's ok for men to BE feminine but not act it, and women to act masculine but not be it.

• As others have stated. women dont get as much respect as men. Gay men are often teased for being effeminate too.

• I know a fantastic country where men can be as confident as they want in skirts. It's called Ireland, or Scotland, and they are called kilts. ;)

• I think boys should be allowed to wear skirts and dresses. It's just a piece of fabric wrapped around your leg and you're not hurting anybody. Wear whatever you want. But no matter what you're wearing or what you do their will always be people that will judge you for your choices.

• They are allowed! They just don't want to wear them.
      Tell me, do you wear makeup or shave your legs or get your hair done or otherwise go through some sort of ritual to make you look good as a woman?
      If you do, then it's because you are concerned about the image you project. You don't want to look like a guy or like a hobo right? So why should guys want to look like girls? Would you be attracted by a guy wearing red lipstick and a skirt?

• No, they are clowns.
      Where are you going?

• @JuicyBrain

Look up at the other reply.

• im an atheist so idgaf about the bible but isn't jesus being a hypocrite since he basically wore a dress yet he states it's forbidden to cross dress? lmao

• I don't know if you've seen many men in Kilts but they are proud. There is nothing to be laughed when a man wears a kilt unless he's doing it wrong. I live in a very Scottish town where there's a lot of men wearing kilts. It's totally normal.

I'

• I was mainly meaning USA. Sorry I didn't specify that in the question. Yes. Confidant men wear kilts. Weak men are scared to when they want to.

• men should be able to wear dresses and skirts but people are so judgmental you won't be able to get far without being told to put jeans on since being sexist is normal I guess even though it shouldn't be

• I don't think you should listen to what the community or the crowd is saying with regards to dressing as long as you are presentable and comfortable at what you are wearing them do it. Just don't wear those that will get too much attention of men that would cost them to disrespect you as a woman.

• More from Girls
    59

What Guys Said 16

• www.ccglam.com/.../bigger-butt-secrets.jpg

Well you're on your own with this one mate!!! Because this, girls in these, will always and forever be welcome 😌

• It's the way how society dictates the fashion and dressing. They influence how people dress and behave and what is fashionable and what is not. People are swayed by it instead of making choices on their own.

• Reason being is that it's still not socially acceptable to be gay as a male. It's getting there for sure but people still secretly judge you. Especially if you are a cross dresser. It's more acceptable for girls to be bi and cross dress a bIt because males like girls to be bi.

• Even though it is more acceptable for women to cross dress, doesn't mean that all men are comfortable with it. Wow! So cross dressing and being a homosexual is linked? A gay man can wear traditional clothes suited by society that's for men.

• That is true. I'm mostly just referring to trans males. They get a sex change and are now straight females but before that they were homosexual males.

• 0|0
  • OI see men wearing kilts at public events on occasion and no one laughs at them. However, there are differing societal expectations for men and women. Do you really want to have the exact same expectations and standards for men and women?

• I don't want to wear a dress and seeing men wear dresses would in my opinion bring the male image down. This it might be to do with males being higher ranked than females from general society point of view, I guess, no offense ladies, but woman wearing pants are deemed more successfully is what I read once, so men wearring dresses would be a negative aspect in our masculinity in the eyes of society, different cultures would also interpret this differently, it's just how we grew up over the ages, look at Arabian men, they have dresses and the richest of the rich wear them. I personally like to see the difference between a man and a woman When I look at somebody.

• pants were not designed just for men... they were designed for heavy manual work which it just so happens was almost the sole preserve of men at the time. later like during the world wars women took to wearing pants as they filled in male job roles while the men were away fighting. i dont dismiss the rest of your case but im a welder in a cold country so i won't be wearing a skirt anytime soon.

• It's cold in the United Kingdom? Wow, I thought European countries were mainly hot and cold depending on the season.

• oh and bear in mind the uk is really northern Europe

• lol, not the main part but it was the last time.

• You know a dress is better for men than pants is. A pants traps heat which may negatively affect testosterone production. Tight pants and underwear are known to lower fertility in men.

• Yeah, cause that's such an important issue...
    Maybe guys just don't like dressing like girls?

• But it's okay when girls/women want to dress like boys/men? What makes it okay one way and not the other? Why are toyboys heralded but effeminate boys ridiculed? It's cross dressing, regardless which sex does it and why would males doing it be worse than females doing it? Pants didn't gain acceptance until the 60s or 70s and now because it's what females do, it makes it ok? What if all men abandoned pants for togas? Would it be okay since that's what all males are doing? What if women quit wearing lipstick and all men wore it? Would it be okay since all men do it and no women now do it?

• Clothing is important because it protects us from everyday hazards. Also for sanitary reasons.
      If you took the bus naked, I wouldn't want to sit in your spot afterwards... Currently where I live, it's -15°C outside. I'd like to see how you would fare outside naked with no boots.

• Being laughed at doesn't mean I'm doing wrong. Most people today aren't wise enough to know where they come from.

I easily can say you don't care what I think by choosing to wear what you do. You care about acceptance. That's why you wear what you do. Why not wear whatever and see if the acceptance comes to you or not instead of forcing a probable acceptance to it?

• Because liberal cunts are inconsistent. They think they should be able to dress like bulldykes, and think men should show their "feminine" side, but they're grossed out by traps. They just mean metrosexual men.

And by the way, crossdressing/metrosexuality are both fucked up. They may be hypocritical, but they're right in this situation.

• Unless it's your culture, for example Scottish kilts, those are women's clothing items. Pants are unisex, but dresses and skirts are not.

• Yes but like why can females get away with wearing male clothes without ostracism when it wouldn't work if males wore female based clothes?

• It isn't just how it is. Quit accepting answers as it just is how it is. Start putting debates into this and be a man, not a wuss.

I have nothing against you, sir. I just wish you could see what I am saying.

• I can see why you want to challenge double standards.
      I don't accept everything as "how it is", but this is something that I will just accept because it's a stupid battle to fight.

• It's because in our society, being masculine is seen as a good thing and being feminine is a bad thing, especially if you're usually masculine.

• Life's not fair get over it. There are double standards that aren't fair for women.

• cuz guys have dangly parts that may stick out

• I think you're just looking for an argument. This is ridiculous.

• I don't think either one should be cross dressing