Do you think there technically is no such thing as men's fashion?

Modern women are often criticised of stealing men's fashion by wearing what most would consider typical male clothing ie jeans, hoodies and etc. Some people think that women should stick to their feminine skirts, heels, dresses and all that jazz whereas men stick to their's.

But could it be that in all reality it's not that men prefer men's fashion and women prefer either their's OR men's fashion - but that there is actually no such thing as distinctively male fashion?

Men as a gender are best described as being more practical and efficient in a sense (no offence) - this translates to clothing too. Men focus on function over form whereas women often prefer form over function (nothing wrong with it ofc).
That means that men have throughout history worn what (in each respective time period) would have been considered practical while women either preferred or were often made/pressured to wear distinctively feminine clothing. In my opinion it's because of this that the neutral/efficient clothes that anyone can wear have been associated with masculinity.

tldr - women wear either feminine or functional/gender neutral clothing. Men mostly wear clothing that is considered masculine but in reality is just practical/neutral.

What do you people think?

And to add - I'm not saying there is completely no such thing as male fashion. There are some exclusives - suits being some of them (I think). I'm just referring to general fashion.

Most Helpful Girl

• You may say that.
    Long time back, men were the ones who went out and worked, faught wars etc. So they wore clothes that were convenient for the same. While women used to be at home, and they were expected to look "pretty" , hence the typical feminine clothing.
    Now the times have changed. That's the reason probably women adapted so called 'mens fashion'

Most Helpful Guy

• Men have not always worn what's practical. In the era before the French Revolution, men were the ones that wore high heels. Really, until the early twentieth century, men's clothes were just as intricate and impractical as women's (although not in Victorian England).

0/2500

Send It!
Sponsored

What Girls Said 0

The only opinion from girls was selected the Most Helpful Opinion, but you can still contribute by sharing an opinion!

What Guys Said 7

• I disagree. Men's fashion in my opinion definitely does exist but it goes well beyond the typical suit and tie we usually associate it with. One of the biggest problems is that I think that the reason it's so hard to identify is because much of men's fashion doesn't receive the same focus women's fashion does. That's perfectly okay, I don't have a problem with that before someone starts complaining about it lol. It's just that the sub groups in the "culture" often don't mesh over well. Even as I type this, I know I'm definitely only scratching the tip of the iceberg. It's like how streetwear and prep fashion clash (or more like the people belonging to each style clash, online at least). There's also pretty obvious things like lumbersexuals (which are easily defined due to the way they look and furthermore the clothes they wear... along with the beard of course but then with beards, even they've got a culture of fashion around it). Men's fashion often is also not very practical. I know some fairly fashionable dudes (well, the high fashion types) who wear the most impractical clothing at times. I remember seeing a video of some guy at coachella or burning man (I forget which) wearing the most impractical clothing for his self stated reason of purely looking fashionable.

• No, there's definitely men's fashion. I think that there's not as much avant garde male fashion, but it's there and it's more subtle. Like for example, do you see men wearing ties in standard everyday wear? No, you don't -- in the US, wearing a tie means you're a salesman or you work at the mall. Wearing a tie actually has a negative status connotation! However, when you go through downtown San Francisco, you see men wearing very closely tailored dress shirts (tightly tailored at the midsection, unbuttoned at the top) and they just look like they have a lot of money. Being able to make these determinations based on just the style of clothing that they're wearing is "fashion".

• Ah, now you see why I posted that stuff on my earlier questions.

In America, not really. They fear men expressing style and fashion would be flamboyant and effeminate so they don't parade it and advertise it locally in magazines, television outlets, etc to the degree that women's are. Remember the 'No Diggity' commercial with men's Hanes underwear? The office woman had the hot and couldn't put her pencil down. I believe in the next decade that this issue will be tackled and men will cheer in victory at not letting other men stop them from their expressive views. Heck, naked cultures, semi dressed cultures and full dressed cultures will all be on baord and win the war against this outlandish view they've had for quite some time. Lets put this view to rest and win. Lets go men!! Women, be rad and glad that men are being expressive via style and fashion. It shows his true view and he and you will be better off winning in the end.

• I must say I don't really follow fashion but I always here ladies refer to what guys wear saying "that sweater is the latest fashion" and I believe the experts there :D
    I'm a zero as far as fashion is concerned :o

• I think you summed it up pretty good. For guys it's just something to cover us up, keep us warm, make sure our bits aren't hanging out, etc.

• Probably lol we don't (or at least I don't) wear any specific thing

• In italy mens fashion is really big.