Why do white people have an obsession with black women's hair?

For centuries black people were ridiculed for their hair and to this day there are laws in countries and states saying black people can't wear their hair natural. It goes back to slavery when in 1789 black women were forced to wear head wraps because their natural hair got too much attention from white men and made white women jealous so they forced them to wear headwraps. These were called Tignon laws.
Apparently, women of color were wearing their hair in such fabulous ways, adding jewels and feathers to their high hairdos and walking around with such beauty and pride that it was obscuring their status. This was very threatening to the social stability (aka white population) of the area at the time. The law was meant to distinguish women of color from their white counterparts and to minimize their beauty. And when I say ‘forced’ I mean sanctioned, as in the Louisiana government passed laws to effectively regulate Black women’s hair, because it was becoming too much of a problem for white people.

Nowadays black women more and more black women are wearing their hair in natural state. Feeling free to wear their hear in its natural states despite discriminatory laws and discarding weaves, wigs, and relaxers and embracing their natural curly and kinky hair. And a result have been getting a lot of unwanted attention from white people. So much so that Solange had to make a song towards whites proclaiming to not touch her hair and issue many black women have dealt with.

Many black people have had this happen wear whites come out of nowhere and start touching their hair like they're a petting zoo. It's even become a popular commercial for a natural hair product line.

Today still many schools and work places ban natural hair. In fact the government made it legal to discriminate against people based on if their hair is worn in an afro style and why many black women had to wear weaves and relaxers in the first place

Why can't whites LEAVE BLACK WOMEN ALONE?

1420

Most Helpful Girl

• I have no idea. It's annoying though.

What Guys Said 20

• I don't really the hair myself. Too oily and knappy and every time I've been close to a black woman, her hair smelled weird. I try not to stand behind them in a grocery store or while onboard a train/other form of transportation.

As for banning their natural afros, it's obviously a fire hazard and is for the safety of themselves and everybody else.

• How is natural hair a fire hazard and how is unsafe? What kind of white nonsense did I just read?

This is case in point why white people shouldn't be making laws

• LOL white people hair is a lice hazard

• @PlacentaSalad she's trolling you so hard right now. Just ignore her.

• How can you write so much and it is so much nonsense?

You should consider becoming a politician. Talking a lot without saying anything.

• So I literally post video after video showing how countries and schools are trying to ban black girls from wearing their natural hair. How state governments put laws in place saying jobs can not hire black men and women who wear their natural hair and even show you the history of Tignon laws which banned black women showing their natural hair yet I'm lying?

You can literally look all this up. Wow I know white people tend to live in their own world and have no sense of reality but this takes the cake.

• It's simple, they're jealous. Why call their actions another word when that's all they're good at? Look at the media, they're full of white people. I'm not racist because I love me some white girls & black girls & natives & mexican girls oooweeeee come with me lol

• LOL I do NOT want to touch a black woman's hair, the one time I did on accident I seriously thought she was going to attack me.

A lot of these incidents seem completely isolated and in more racist areas. I have seen plenty of women and teaching assistants on my campus have natural hair and there has been no such bans about it.

• I didn't say every school banned but many are. Which is why I posted the question. Also the reason you got attacked was because you touched a girl without her person. She should've stabbed you

• Nah I played football and was friends with all the black dudes. I had all types of hoes, I don't discriminate.

• Bitch please.

• LMFAO XD

• Not really an obsession, most white people don't live to touch black womens hair. Indeed most people who are even white with natural fro's will have people wanting to touch it.

I wouldn't say obsession and curiosity are synonyms. People are just intrigued by difference which is a natural human trait.

• No. You don't see black people coming up to touch white people's hair because we generally have no interest in your hair. The only reason black women wear wigs and weave is because we have to wear them to get jobs in this racist society than bans black women from wearing their natural hair.

• boo it's whining clearly. we both know you've been whining about this for like a year and haven't done anything. u just wanna act tough but aren't

• @Lolita911 So all those videos of black girls whooping ass online are fake. Keep playing louann you gonna meet the wrong one

• I didn't even know this was a thing !
    I say you should have your hair the way you want them.
    Whites certainly didn't ask my opinion on this though, so I don't consider myself responsible.

• Most do not care

• Then tell them to stop bothering black women on their hair because literally every natural girl I know has whites trying to touch our hair.

• Still dumb.. It's whites putting this corrupt politicians in power so they can steal more resources. This is what whites have always done. Genetic testing is a recent thing and not 100% accurate. We can't trace our origins to one place because there has been so much rape and mixing with whites Native Americans and Africans from other countries

• White people had zero say in elections for western africa where the majority of slaves came from. If blacks were successful enough they could rid the corruption but they're too lazy. You can trace which tribes and regions you belong to, it separates ethnicities. You make too many excuses, instead it's the easy way to "Blame White people"

• I don't have an obsession with anyone's hair.

• Lol what?

• it doesn't effect you so you don't know what's going on

• I don't. I couldn't care less about black people's hair.

• Confirmed not obsessed with black women's hair

• I'm not white but have same obsession for them

• I remember as a child wanting to feel a black kids hair at my school, just because it looked different to mine, but I wouldn't say it was an obsession

• I had never heard of any of this. Seems odd to me, couldn't care less about hair.

• Then you aren't paying attention

• There really aren't many black people where I am, its never really come up. And I really don't pay attention to this sort of stuff online

• Personally, I don't bother people at all with their hair.

• Ug, another racist rant from a black woman...

• Another white person who still doesn't understand what racism is

• Its more about power imbalance. But it seems you're still delusional

• You constantly fan the flames of racism and then wonder why people don't like you. You cry racism incessantly and then wonder why people won't take you seriously. When will you people wake up and realize that what you're doing is just making matters worse and worse for yourselves. The vast majority of whites just want to move on from racism and live in peace with everyone but you just keep stirring the shit, day after day. It's like you don't really WANT racism to disappear! I just don't get it.

You people need to look in the mirror, recognize your own problems and DEAL WITH THEM. Stop blaming others for your problems. YOU are your worst enemy. You will NEVER be successful in society until you stop blaming everyone else for your problems and take responsibility for yourselves like everyone else.

• I'm not obsessed at all about it but I see you brought up some good points about it, some people are just weird or ignorant about it

• I'm white and I don't obsess over it.

• Well some of us are married to black women so its a little rude to leave them alone.

What Girls Said 13

• Is this u boo boo? U always seem to love doing this and making yourself seem like a victim just because your a black women... maybe if u didn't act like this people would like u sweetie

• it is u boo boo!! it's been way to long since u had a little rant. I missed u lol

• White people have always been delusional. Nothing new

• peace boo boo, gotta go to my man now he's waiting and personally apparently not into my fun relationship with u. shame to I can love u both

• This is something that I always wondered about also. I think that white people dont want black women looking attractive with weave. Lets be honest here, when black women wear weave it makes them look good and other races dont like that. So they will talk, thats what they do. You have to ignore it and not let it get to you because it will. Stop watching those Youtube videos where random people talk bad about black women. It will only put negative thoughts in your head. I use to always watch those videos, and realize that its not healthy to watch.

• Black women look worse with weave. Black women look better with their natural hair which is why whites want to ban it and have black women wear those nasty looking weaves and relaxers

• @Puppylove94 Shut up Amanda, you have no black friends nor do you know any issues we face

• Okay, banning something just because in its natural state it can catch attention or whatever is stupid AF coz I think you should be able to do whatever you want with it. I mean, its only hair, no big deal. And about touching the hair thing, I'm not black but I do have curly hair. But the thing is, I dont think people just go around touching your hair in the streets or without asking (if they do then, I don't know xD). And also, that second video (That's my curl one). I dont get why girls with curly hair can find this offensive or annoying. Being a curled hair girl I find it funny when anyone asks me to please get my hair out of the way coz its blocking the screen xD also, if someone touches your hair then that also means they like it. Tbh I think that people get offended by silly things these days. (I'm not talking about the last 2 videos, coz that's totally wrong and racist)

• I see where you're coming from, but you sound really accusatory and hostile to all white people... exhibit A "Why can't whites LEAVE BLACK WOMEN ALONE?" It reminds me of this... hmm...
    https://youtu.be/EqfTLgHbhxs

• I have no time to say not all white people because white people aren't checking other white people on their bullshit and racism so until then YES ALL WHITE PEOPLE

• I hope and pray modern society is getting closer to that place where more people can just be themselves. I love seeing natural hair! There is a lot ignorance still about this issue. A lot of people still think that black people can't grow their natural hair long. Maybe it's all the damage from relaxers making it break off. Time to stop all that nonsense.

• What? I'm seriously confusion... I was gonna say I'm obsessed with it because it's sooooooo pretty especially when they put it in all those braids ( I think they're called corn rows...). Anyways after reading the full question I am completely confused... I don't think we have those laws here, I see women with natural hair all the time.

• we don't wtf. why are blacks obsessed with our hair they look shit with light, straight hair yet they still do it

• Lol couldn't care less about your nappy hair. Nobody wants that. When white women do something to their hair, they don't think "I want to be exactly like that black girl!" you're wrongly referred to hairstyle. Which is something black women don't own. White women don't do their hair to be like black people, like how black people don't put weave in to look like white people. We do it for ourselves, not because we want to be like you.

• This is whites are always touching our putting laws in place to ban our natural hair, and copying our hairstyles. Sure Jan

• Is that your only come-back? "Lice-infested" "wet dog smelling"

• And your hair isn't kinky. It's nappy. Hispanic women with really curly hair have kinky hair.

• I don't know... I am white and most of my friends have touched my hair and I there's... in the white culture we're not so weird about people touching it... maybe people are interested because it's off limits?

• White chicks with long hair have black chicks touch it too. I've had it happen.

That shit about not being able to wear natural hair is dumb though.

• To me i think it looks so cool

• I would never want to touch a black woman's hair. I could care less.

• Tell that to white women who do it and tell them to leave black women alone

• I have no responsibility to tell them anything. I do think you need to get some psychiatric help.

• If a group of people are disenfranchising another group and touching them because they feel entitled to touch their bodies (as with slavery) than its your obligation to go collect your people because their likely to get popped

• Generalizing much?
    You really did not need to give such a long paragraph about that. I can assure you a majority of white women don't give a shit about your hair.

• Not just white women moreso white men because they seem to be the ones making the laws banning it.

• Nobody asked you to post a question and beg for public opinions anyway 👌

So sweet boo boo

• When did I beg for your opinion? Obviously this a question for white people who do this. If this wasn't you, you wouldn't even be hear answering it. You told on yourself