Do you think that BARBIE is a positive or negative role model for young girls?

Most Helpful Guy

• everyone says its unrealistic. but if you worked out and ate healthy than it is pretty realistic. whats unrealistic is that barbie is a doctor and a lawyer and all those others occupations.

Most Helpful Girl

• I think is just plastic. And is only bad if the parents don't talk to their daughter and explain to them that they are beautiful no matter what size.

Because then we will have to blame. Toys, movies, advertisement, social media ext.

What's more imortant is the teaching not blaming an object

Sponsored

What Guys Said 22

• Barbie shouldn't be seen as a role model. It's a doll -_-
    I never saw the Action Men (or Ken, or whatever) as a role model. They were all ripped men with guns and chiseled jawlines, pretty hair and shit, and never did I or any friend think of them as role models. Why do girls see Barbies as role models? I don't get it.

• In general, I think it is too narrow a view, so bad. Kids are very impressionable and the programming is deep in their minds. That said, Saturday morning cartoons/TV is much worse as is video games, etc..

I'd rather have something where girls make their own dolls.

• It's neither, it's a toy. Girls like dolls. Stop.

There was a new barbie for 2016 Christmas seaon - "Divorced Barbie"
    She now has Ken's home, car, and boat, and is said to be dating Ken's best friend.
    :)

• I never ever thought of the doll this way, but was amazed that girls really do...

• My younger sister had a 'Chatty Cathy' doll. Life size, and a pull cord that made it talk. It said the same thing over and over but we were still fascinated by it.
      She had barbies too but I never thought she was influenced somehow by either one. Just to play with and an imaginary friend to cling to. I equate them to the blanket I clung to till I was almost 5. Comfort apart from your mother.

• I think Barbie should have more positive effects where a young girl
    could dress her with make up or no make up..

• In my opinion toys should be treated as toys, not role models. I used to play with dinosaurs and action figures I never thought of them as role models lol.

• Negative. Girls want to be as skinny as her, and thats not correct line of thought.

• Not any worse than the real housewifves, snooky, mybigfatlife, and kim kardashian.

• I'd rather have Barbie as a role model than those shitty people. 16 and pregnant shouldn't be a role model xD

• I think it teaches girls to be plastic and fake and cheap.

• I think she is Outdated.. Sophia the First

• There's NOTHING wrong with Barbie!

• All I know about Barbie is that she's supposed to be the ideal woman, ya? But I don't even think she's very pretty. lol

• She's neither she's just a toy lol.

• Anything that encourages girls to have 56 inch triple F breasts is a good thing.

• its a plastic toy

• It's a toy, it's meant to be used as a toy. Jesus Christ.

• Negative but none of the other dolls are better either they all have their biasness

• Negative, since it makes them have high expectations.

• Negative, but it's not just girl toys that do this... boy toys like GI Joes or superheros are jacked/ripped af. Unrealistic ideals for BOTH genders...

• Positive

• Neither

• Negative.

• Not sure. I go back and forth on it. But if someone beleives that Barbie has an unachievable body type that makes young girls insecure... Look at He-Man! XD

What Girls Said 14

• She wasn't A role model to me, she was just a doll to me! Haha
    A toy isn't supossed to be a role model, I was an insecure kid because I was a bit chubby and had wavy dark hair but it wasn't barbie that made me feel insecure, it was the pretty slim lighter girls in my School because guys liked them Hahahaha !
    I just created dream scรฉnarios with my barbies, like marrying Action Man everyday and wearing pretty clothes, nothing more or less๐Ÿ˜

• I feel like the newest line of body types for Barbie teaches girls to love themselves more than how they were in the past. Although, I did like the "achieve your dream" aspect Barbie conveyed with the many careers she had.

• Barbie makes me want to chop her plastic tits off. ๐Ÿ…๐Ÿ…๐Ÿ—ก

• To be honest, I don't think it's a role model at all. It's just a toy, not some figure that girls should aspire to be/look like. I'll say that when I was younger I had A LOT of Barbie dolls and one's that didn't even look like me, but I never cared or thought I had to be that, so I don't get that whole mindset.

• Positive, aside from being a skinny bitch, she's had every career possible, has the dream house & the man. She's a go getter

• Neither. As a kid, I never saw Barbie as a role model. She was just a pretty doll that I liked to dress up and play house with. I think parents try and spin it that way more than the kids tbh.

• She always has been POSITIVE for me... and my crowd

• 1|0
  • A role model? It's a toy.

• She's not a role model - she's a physical image - neither good nor bad.

• Positive, she had SOOOOOO many careers.

• Well kind of negative she's skinny wears far to much make up skimpy clothes and plastic she can also spread her legs pretty far lmao

• positive. Artificial beauty is better than natural ugly. Being skinny and doing plastic surgeries are perfectly normal to me

• That's all well & fine for you, but that may not be the healthiest mindset for everyone else. Ever heard of body dysmorphic disorder?

• ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚yeah. BDD need proper treatment. It's different from having a super high expectations. Since I have been in Seoul for couple years. Also Tokyo. Almost 90% girls doing surgeries. Skin-care. On diet all the time. Same in Beijing though. So for me I am already get used to it. Sometimes I feel like I have OCD. I can't stand my weight is even a little over than 48Kg ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ

• I'm just saying that it's not a good lesson to teach girls that if they feel ugly, to use drastic measures like surgery to fix it. There's a difference between using makeup, exercising, & such. When done in proper moderation. Wearing makeup constantly, like a mask, can damage your skin tremendously. Exercising or dieting to the extreme can lead to many disorders & also be really fatal to your overall health.

• Negative.