Is it ok to not wear a shirt in the summer time?

My wife and I have different views on this. The family next door has a girl about 9 years old. We live in a rural area. All summer long she rarely wears a shirt, just like the boys in the area. If you saw her and a couple boys standing together you couldn't tell the boys from her unless you saw her face. So, does she need a shirt?

• Yes, she needs to be covered
  • No, she's fine without a shirt

Most Helpful Girl

• I live in the city and always have so I find it weird that the parents are letting her. But seeing as how it's in a rural area, and if she has grown up in the country then I think a lot of girls may do that. As long as she doesn't do it after puberty hits I don't think it's a horrible thing. Just strange. I wouldn't let my girl do that when I have kids. Maybe til she's 5 or 6 at the most. But then again my kid wouldn't be running around the neighborhood at that age by herself.

What Girls Said 10

• It's one thing for a little kid (like 5 or 6 years old) to run around without a shirt, but by 9 kids should be pretty familiar with the norms of society, and wearing a shirt year-round is definitely a norm for girls.

• I usually didn't wear a shirt in the summer time when I was a little kid, though I'm pretty sure that stopped when I was about five. Nine seems too old for her to be going around shirtless.

• I think that younger girls can go without shirts but at nine years old you need to be covered.

• I'd say anyone female over three or four should be wearing a shirt when outside

nine is quite old not to be wearing a shirt because she will start puberty soon and it just doesn't seem socially acceptable for a nine year old to be walking around without a shirt

• I didn't wear shirts until I was 11, I didn't care if anyone seen me. If the boys can go shirtless I think girls can too. I lay out nude a lot and still don't care who sees me.

• Younger girls.up to about 6 maybe 7 if they are swimming at the beach is fine. But at 9 years old she is gonna be going through puberty soon and will have to get used to being covered.

• Yes! Nine is the average age when girls start puberty. Yeah the child needs a shirt and a training bra!

• omg yes that is just weird.

she is a girl and needs a shirt 9 years old is still just award >.>

• no.she doesn't :)

• Yes, she definitely needs a shirt on at that age.

What Guys Said 4

• That's a toughie. I think I get what you're saying; you're in an area where the possibilities of pervs and such are less likely but you never know; and she's only 9 so still a child and indistinguishable from boys her age. However, I'm going to have to go with shirt on.

We, as parents, also try and teach our kids what the social norms are and this one, a shirtless 9 year old girl, is viewed as outside of that.

• Rural area doesn't mean less pervs... yes there may be fewer people, but there could be the same amount of pervs

• If she doesn't have a bra on, yes. And even with a bra on that's still pretty flashy especially for a 9 year old.

• I'd have to say yes. But on another note, you are married and still under 18? Wow. Good luck.

• I think some girls become self-conscious at an earlier age or develop earlier, but as long as she isn't developed and hasn't become self-conscious about it, she and/or the parents probably don't see anything wrong with it. If it bothers you, however, maybe you could casually mention something to the parents or ask your wife to mention something. If it's a tease or a temptation to you or other males around the area, she should definitely be covered because that could be a problem for her. At any rate, if you speak to her parents and they do not do anything about it, at least you tried to remedy the situation and protect the little girl from child molesters, etc. Good luck!