Guys--Why do you consider "plain" girls to be unattractive?

My friends and I tried an experiment. We went to the mall dressed in plain sweatpants and t-shirts, wore no makeup, and put our hair up in messy buns. We went to many stores who had male cashiers and tried flirting with them. We got nowhere with any of them.

Exactly one week later, we went back to the exact same stores, where the exact same male cashiers were working {we made sure they were all the same guys}. This time we were wearing stylish outfits {just jeans and nice blouses, nothing revealing}, makeup, and had our hair styled. We flirted with the guys again, and this time they were all responsive.

So, how do you explain these results?

Most Helpful Guy

• It's be like a guy with a stained shirt, greasy hair, dirty pants, and worn out shoes walking up to you and trying to get your number, as apposed to a well groomed, nicely dressed, well cleaned guy trying to get your number. If we're talking about somewhat insignificant things such as simple flirting, the general rule of the road is people dressed noticeably will get noticed. For something like receiving attention from random strangers you'll have to look and act your most outwardly attractive because they don't know anything about you to be attracted to anything else besides what they see. As far as girls I know and am already attracted to, I find I like it better when they dress "plainly" around me. It's like they're comfortable enough around me not to feel like they have to be dressed up all the time to make themselves acceptable. My opinion anyways.

What Guys Said 6

• Sweat pants and T-shirts aren't exactly flattering clothes. They're sort of baggy and hide a lot of your, shall we say, "assets". Stylish clothes tend to be more form-fitting and they highlight your curves and secondary sex characteristics. Nicely done hair complements and draws attention to a good looking face. In this case, dressing messy is almost like a disguise. You're disguising your sex appeal so guys will not recognize it. Some times guys can see through it but when you dress nice you put it right out there on display.

• If I hadn't shaved myself for a week, looked like I've been awake for 4 days and I wore simple clothing... What would you do? Probably call me a creep and walk away.

And what would you do if I had shaven, looked fly and started a charming convo with you? Would you smile back?

• I think you got more attention because you dressed a little nicer. I mean even if a perfect 10 walked in the door, if she was wearing sweatpants I wouldn't think she'd want to be talked to. I think even girls feel this way. I have one girl who says that she dresses like that when she is in class so she won't be bugged by guys since she says class time is for studying not flirting.

• Oh wow...no way..."plain" girls as you call them...ROCK! they're the best type of woman there is out there. Love them!

• Good hygiene makes people more attractive, and demonstrates that you really just aren't a lazy f***. It's not that women in t-shirts and sweats aren't attractive, but as far as first impressions go girls who are well dressed and groomed are more attractive.

Would you be more attracted to guy with nappy-ass hair who wore wife beater and gym shorts and constantly scratched his balls, or a dude who wore clean comfortable clothes and a had a good haircut? It goes both ways.

• its not really the whole "stylish outfit/makeup" that did it. its more that you made yourself seem as if you don't take care fo yourself the first time. if it looks like you dc about how you look. then we're gonna think ur not gonna take care of us, IF we need it. ya know

What Girls Said 1

• Believe it or not I think as the attraction mystery was developed, history reveals that the reason why we are mostly attracted to someone is because of "reproduction". If you see someone clean & healthy, we uncounciously think about him/her as a potential mate for reproduction, whether or not we are gonna have kids with him/her lol. That's probably why :) if you look healthy, good hair, rested and clean they'll find you more attractive.