this is a question for the guys but if girls want to answer I am totally not sexist so it's cool? :)

i have issues with the words hot and sexy, so I try not to use them while describing people. I know the word beautiful is more of a word used on girls but I just find all people, both male and female very beautiful.

my question is, do/would guys find it strange if a girl called them beautiful?

Most Helpful Guy

• Yeah, the issue I would have is that it's not a cool world. I do appreciate beauty, but when applied to a real-life human being, in their presense, it just smacks of assumption, manipulation, and mind games. Better to just keep your compliments and adjudication to yourself.

"Get into the groove boy, you've got to prove your love to me" - Madonna

It works both ways. Don't tell boys their beautiful, demonstrate it. Without meaning to.

• Not a cool word rather. It's not a cool world either of course. :)

What Guys Said 21

• Guys would probably prefer the word hansom over beautiful.

• Personally, its a bit weird to me. Mainly as I always seem to associate the word with females more than males. Granted not that I wouldn't appreciate it but it would just feel a little weird if someone called me beautiful.

• I think it's actually better than sexy/hot. Sexy/hot has become a generic comment for attractive people. Girls usually don't describe guys as beautiful/gorgeous. They usually say cut/hot/sexy. So when a girl calls a guy beautiful/gorgeous, it's not just that they're attracted to the guy, it's that there's no other words other than beautiful/gorgeous to describe them.

• Sure there is, does no one ever say Handsome anymore? I do and guys love it. Honestly, I don't like using or really even hearing hot/sexy I prefer beautiful or pretty it sounds so much more meaningful.

• I would take it as a complement, but it would feel weird, I prefer the word handsome, because girls rarely use that. Its more common to hear a girl go up to her guy and say hey cutie, instead of hey handsome

• Being called beautiful by a girl would be awkward.

Even if she was saying I had like a "beautiful personality" or something, it'd be odd.

Stick with handsome or cute I say.

• im the same way...i hate the word hot, I never use that to discribe someone.

Honestly I wouldny have a proble with a girl calling me beautiful, but other guys mite disagree

But its all good. :)

• Not really; it might or might not be strange depending on the context, on how it was said. I would be o.k. with girls saying this most ways.

• If a girl called me beautiful it would be strange.

• No. Of course, it always depends on the way its said and the context, but I would take it as a compliment. It also seems slightly less forward and cheap than hot/sexy. Its a nice thing to say to someone.

• I would feel confused.

• you are beautiful :)

Call a guy cute or attractive though or handsome...not beautiful

• Nothing really WRONG with it, but I'd suggest "handsome". johnny_hustle summed it up well.

• its more profound you know? I never use the words hot or sexy to describe a woman especially my woman because I think if I call her hot or sexy she would think I'm all about sex but the word beautifull adds some romans to it and makes her feel better. and to answer your question no its not strange, its a bit unusual. but who cares. a compliment is a compliment

• beautiful has very feminine connotations. if she didn't explain why she said that, I would feel as if she were mocking me in some way.

• Honestly alittle bit, I'd still feel good, but I think handsome is the male equivalent of beautiful.

• nope. I get it sometimes. I think its a way for a girl to compliment me w/o flirting with me. which is kinda dishearting in and of itself but I'm ok with that. :)

• i think they would but depends how you put it x

• no not at all I wish my wife told me I was beautiful

• slightly feminine word for a guy. You can call him that, but do it in private.

We prefer hot or handsome over beautiful.

Also...does cute equal hot? I get called cute a lot but not hot alot.

• Not at all.

• Appreciate your thinking that you doesn't like to use words sexy, hot, I think these are cheap words but I heard and seen peoples often use these words specially when they describe any girl, calling beautiful to guys is not stranger but this word is most suitable for girls

What Girls Said 12

• I totally agree. guys who call me 'hot' or 'sexy' on the first few times he knows me, it's a deal breaker. doesn't take much for a guy to think of a better description for 'beautiful'. current guy I'm with , he calls me beautiful and I like that word way better. of course there's a time and place to be called 'hot ' and 'sexy' but if some random dude went up to me and said 'you're hot', I would just ignore him.

• I agree! My sister thinks I'm weird, but I try never to use hot or sexy... I find it degrading. I usually stick with gorgeous... it's "manlier" than beautiful. in my opinion anyways...

• I am totally with you on the hot/sexy thing! I don't like it when guys say I am hot because I find it rude. Calling a guy beautiful is a little odd, try handsome.(:

• My boyfriend loves whenever I tell him he's beautiful ^_^ "You're so beautiful, sweetheart, I just love you!" "Ooh aww thank you.. *melts*" Though I mean it like that he's a wonderful person, although he's beautiful on the outside too.

• naww look at all these guys feeling awkward at such a flattering word. Maybe they would feel a bit feminized with a word like that. So toughen it up and say handsome.

• My guy prefers "gorgeous" even though it's tough to get him to admit it :p

• This isn't a question I can answer, but just thought I'd let you know you're beautiful.

• i think I'd rather call him cute

• Ya I'm actually uncomfortable with those word as well but I just use attractive instead

• I like to say that guys are cute/handsome but I don't think I've ever called a guy beautiful

• I haven't ever called a guy beautiful. But I don't necessarily think it's weird. I just wouldn't feel comfortable doing it, it's not my cup of tea. For me, beautiful implies some sort of femininity. It's got a connotation attached to it that leans more toward the feminine side than masculine. Just my opinion.

The guy I'm dating right now, however, frequently texts me in the mornings with: hey beautiful or good morning beautiful. It just makes my heart melt and a smile appears on my face. I love that feeling and that word. It's just like magic for me. :)

I call my guy: handsome, cute, babe, boo for pet names and compliments. I've only used hot to describe his abs, not him overall. I don't want to objectify him. He is really, really attractive though. Yum.

Good luck.

• yea lol I have this 'person' & he is beautiful but I always say I mean it in a non gender specific way..i just think of earth or mountains- tho I guess we refer to it as other earth but hey, guys like dirt & mud - don't worry I'm not sexist girls like dirt too lol..

anyways, I have never told him because I don't want him to think I am saying he is too feminine or something - well hey, I hate it when people say 'm sweet, so I have said nothing but he truly is beautiful, thee is not other word that desrcibes him.

hot & sexy I hate using they do nothing for me & cute is not sufficient handsome is too bland..i suppose he is captivating & magnetic but still it does not get the essence of what I'm saying *

• Well calling a guy handsome may be too bland for you, but since girls rarely do it I don't mind. However, instead of beautiful, maybe try stunning or snazzy. I myself don't like saying hot, I think its to cliche, I mean there are girls I find hot, but I won't tell a girl I like I think she's hot, it just doesn't feel right, but I wouldn't mind being called hot since I never have been before, the most a girl I am NOT dating has ever called me is mad cute, not quite hot. Maybe someday haha

• The thing about beautiful, is that it captures his siul.....stunning snazzy to me are more aesthetic, where as beautiful is like ancient...its how I look at it anyways.

.i suppose I could just think of a word in another language or something, but he is beautiful time like his spirit & essence.......I don't say it to him,as it might bother him,-- I might once out of ten years, just to mean his being not just his face - but it s beautiful lol he s native american & he really is beautiful*