Is it fatal to say I'm not good at selling?

i got an interview today for a clothes store and they asked what my weakness is..i say prob the selling..i can't always make potential customers a real customer...

i know that was an stupid answer..will that be fatal that I will fail the interview?

Most Helpful Guy

• It really depends on the type of store. Obviously sales are a big part of every business, but it really depends how that store operates. If they are more of a sales person and customer relations type of store then yes you will want to have a good proven sales record because their profits are based on if YOU can sell the clothes. If the store is like most stores and really don't have the employees selling the clothes, they are just there more for helping and clerical work, then no sales would not be crucial to the job. I probably wouldn't have said it like that anyways because it just doesn't sound good, and can lead to them thinking other things like why you can't make sales. Don't do what some of the others said and tell them you are too good at something because not only have they probably heard that before, but nobody likes a brown noser. If they ask for your weaknesses just be honest, but try and phrase it in a way that doesn't sound so bad, or make it seem like something that can easily be improved.

What Guys Said 5

• If this ever happens again I want you to think about something...what do you know about clothes? Do you know what you like? Do you know about what everyone is wearing?

If the answers are yes...you won't be selling clothes...you will be a style advisor. You are not selling...you are leting people know what would look good on them.

An interview...any interview can be handled the same way. There is no such thing as a weakness. There are just things you are not as good at. Finding another way to approach them changes that.

I couldn't tell you how many times I scored a job just because of that way of thinking.

When they ask you why they should pick you, just look the interviewer right in the eye and say "Cause I'm the best."

• I'm fairly certain that, yeah, saying that cost you the job. That's the whole point of the job when working retail after all.

I think anyone can be good at selling. Are you knowledgeable enough about the subject to have strong opinions on it? Would you be able to explain why you feel the way you do giving reasons as to why? Do you feel comfortable just bullsh*tting with someone about the subject? If so, then you have the ability to sell it and sell it well.

• Unfortunately, it is fatal. It's like going into an interview to be a chef and saying you don't know how to properly use a kitchen

• Dont hold your breathe

• Possibly the worst possible answer you could of given

What Girls Said 5

• when you're asked what you're not good at, next time say soemthing like "i'm too organized" (a good trait that can look bad)

• Yep. When they ask fo your flaw the "right" answer is to say that your to nice of a person, or something like that.

• If that is the part of the interview that sticks in your mind hours later, I would say that was probably the wrong answer. Most people over-sell themselves in an interview because they really need the job. In your case, you were a little too honest. However, if this ruined your chances with this job (which it didn't necessarily), just know for next time not to say anything bad about yourself in an interview, especially with respect to the duties required of the job. If someone asks what your greatest weakness is, mention something, and then spin it into something positive with a real-life example.

• you shouldn't have said that. you don't wanna basically diss yourself. you wanna sell yourself. why should they hire you? why would they want to hire someone who basically can't sell? you wanna make yourself sound like you would be an asset to the company and portray confidence. I'm sorry you probably failed but at least you can learn from this for your next interview

• probably. Why would you say that? You're working retail, the whole point is to get people to buy things.