Kind of a weird random question... beauty product safety?

sally hansen hard as nails extreme wear nail polish...

it turns my nails yellow so I looked it up online and it says its because it contains formaldehyde... Is this unsafe?

i saw a website that said its unsafe but they said EVERYTHING is unsafe and said that mascara gives you cancer, same with like every nail polish and makeup product so they seem a bit overdone you know like they're just trying to scare you out of EVERYTHING..

does anyone know anything about this? I need input the nail polish is so cute but I don't know if its harmful to use

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 2

• You know formaldehyde is a preserving agent right? I wouldn't think putting it on your nails would be a huge issue so long as you don't do it every day, or even every other day.

(What's more harmful is sugar free gum containing sorbitol and aspartame, as aspartame also contains small amounts of formaldehyde. Formaldehyde can cause blindness when ingested.)

Back to your question though, I don't think it's seriously harmful (unless you bite your nails) but it's not great either. Most make-up contains at least a couple semi-harmful ingredients. I would suggest asking your family doctor on your next check-up. A doctor would know better than most people on this site.

• Thank you and that's what I had thought too. I know that most common things we use have things in them like this, if you actually look at the ingredients. Makeup has a lot of weird stuff in it. and I know it's used to preserve things. But people were like freaking out over it when I looked it up online so I was like uh oh

• you could be having an allergic reaction to the nail polish... best not to use that kind