How much does a man's weight factor into his attractiveness?

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't really notice a guy's weight too much. It's more like I notice his body (no numbers or a comparison of any numbers). If it looks good, I'd say he's attractive. Now, "good" is totally relative. For me, it's really in the broad shoulders aspect. This is instant attraction though.

Girls can become more attracted to a guy as they get to know him (not just his physical appearance, though that implies a lot about the guy himself--how he dresses, his style, his hygiene, etc.--so physicality could eliminate the guy from this possibility, but only if he hasn't taken control over anything he can actually control, like the things I mentioned). I have found that I get very attracted to guys based on their humor, sarcasm, interests, social/emotional/academic intelligence, etc. So, basically attraction depends on a whole range of things: things that the guy can change about himself and things he can't easily change. The appearance of the body is situated in between these two categories. Half of the factors related to the body are things that can be improved upon easily; the other half can't be or take time to be. Weight can be categorized depending on the guy. If a large guy dresses well, smells nice, and is nice, I won't think about his weight as an obstacle to his attractiveness. If he doesn't, I would consider it more.

What Girls Said 56

• Ok, I'm honest and I'll say I'm shallow. I think as long as it's well distributed, it isn't a problem, everyone has their preferences. I'm pretty fit, I pretty much have played sports my whole life :volleyball, martial arts, basketball, badminton, running etc and a huge advocate of working out and health etc. I think I would prefer my man to be healthy, like he's got a reasonable BMI and stuff. But I agree, if I loved him, it wouldn't matter. It's hard for me to say, I would say if he has character, he treats me well, he's polite etc, that would over-ride the weight factor, although I've only gone out with guys who are relatively fit, this is my answer thinking if I were in that situation. ;*)

• I'd say quite a bit. To me a guy who is overweight is unattractive, but a guy who is a stick and too bony is unattractive. The main factor for me is if they have an attractive face and personality. I do like fit guys but I have met guys with attractive six packs but zero facial attraction.

It really just depends, but I do agree with moopsiecakes, if you like someone's personality than it does make other things about them more attractive.

If I met a guy I really liked then I would want to workout with him. I believe that if you feel out of shape then getting in shape with someone you like will only make attraction rise. Apparently seeing them sweat turns on the hormones.

• I've dated a few guys that say this. 'I'm a fat boy and I'm never gonna have an athletic type body' LOL and it really didn't matter because they knew who they were, accepted it and were comfortable with themselves. Additionally, women were very attracted to the guys. We would be at a bar or something and other women would buy them drinks and try to jump on them as soon as I moved. The other women didn't think that the guys were with me because I 'didn't look like I would date them' LMAO.

I guess the common thing was that the guys had charismatic personalities and dressed well. That makes all of the difference in the world. Now I definitely wouldn't date a guy who is as big as Big Pun and he would certainly have to be cuter than Biggie but could be almost his size. Big guys have to dress well and be well kept if they want a hottie. The personality is the key. Mostly I want someone who's gonna make me laugh and smile. Hope this helps.

• Depends on the person. I doubt a thin, athletic girl would go for a guy who is overweight. Likely she would want to attract someone who is equivalent to her level of health/fitness. However, it really depends on the person. I hate to say it, but society is very judgmental and shallow. So often they won't give a nice guy who is overweight a chance. It's really too bad because some big guys are actually really nice people who are much better than Joe Fitness.

• I agree with one of the answerers below. Unless its one extreme or the other, it doesn't really matter. I hate even saying that any body type factors in but I have to be honest, to some degree it does for everyone. That doesn't mean that you are the most shallow person on the planet if you aren't attracted to someones body type, its just what your preferences are. For instance, the guy I'm into now isn't "overweight" or "skinny". He's about 6ft, about 15 pounds bigger than the "average" male body type, but he's also athletically framed. So, even though he's not the "average" body type, I think he's hot. LOL Personality is what matters to me.

• As much as nobody really likes to hear this answer, it's about as true as it gets. It varies between every girl. "I" personally like a little of everything. A lot of the time, it's not exactly what he looks like or what he's carrying, it's the confidence that he wields along with it. So, project a lot of confidence, and it won't matter =]

• I tend to base attractiveness more on personality than physical appearance. As long as you look healthy and active, it wouldn't hold a couple of extra pounds against you. However, not looking healthy is not only unattractive, but also makes me worry about your lifestyle choices. I wouldn't want to be with someone who doesn't know how / doesn't care to take care of himself properly.

• I can confidently say that girls NEVER want a guy that is skinnier than them, it makes them feel badly about themselves. Every girl has their own opinion on this, but personally I think skinny guys are disgusting. It's really all about personality though - ever notice that in every stage of your life, many of the "popular" guys don't have the six-pack or are a little skinnier than others or aren't drop-dead gorgeous? It's personality my friend. Own it and you'll do great. Hold yourself confidently and girls will fall over you.

• Wow. I LOVE skinny guys, truly. its somewhat of a turn on for me.

something about their upper thighs... :D

• You are among very few. Truly.

• I personally like bigger guys. They're not as cocky and arrogant. Besides its not the size that matters, its the person inside. That's the way I see it.

but all girls are different, so not everyone of them feels that way. But I think that they are ridiculous, they shouldn't care what the person looks like, as long as that person is good to them.

• If you weight like 10-20 lbs over.. that is too much. If you are in the normal weight range and you are muscular, or skinny and not fat, then that is fine. I like 6-packs.. it isn't like many guys have them its just I think they are extremely attractive.

• Well barbie. As a fat guy. I will stand in defense of my fat brothers here and tell you this. I look at a mans abs like a party. A 6 pack may last you for a while at the party. But a keg belly will last all night long.! That's right fellas! Who's with me. And where are my high 5's? Us tubby dudes gotta stick together. Ahhh crap you sellouts! Lol

• Honestly, as soon as I have a real conversation with someone I tend to stop paying attention to what they look like. It's a man's actions and opinions that make him truly attractive and more then a piece of eye candy.

However, in the case of "I don't know this guy at all, oh my, he's cute!" it's all about looking proportional and healthy. Being too underweight or too overweight, to the point of looking almost unrealistic is a turn-off. A guy has to look natural and comfortable in his own skin.

• It depends on the person.I personally like men with a little meat on their bones....I have been with skinny guys....ummm...not for me.Most of my past b/f were all very athletic, but the man I fell in love with is a bigger stalky guy =).

Honestly I really think it all comes down to what you have to offer a girl.If you are a great looking in shape asshole....then you will not be as attractive as a guy who is still good looking but has a lil more to love ;).

• If your weight is unhealthy, it will be hard for someone to like you. Muscles are important too. You need to exercise and eat well enough that you're healthy.

• For me it doesn't matter at all. I've liked people on both ends of the scale although I do prefer my guys to be lanky. It's just a personal preference - but as it's been said before. Personality wins over looks. For me at least -- but it really does depend on the person and what they are attracted to and not attracted to.

• I like my men on the thin side, but as other people have said, personality is most important. I don't just go for a guy because of his body. Of course seeing someone who is physically attractive to you sparks the initial stuff, but substance is what really, truly attracts you to someone. When you like someone's personality, it makes everything about them more attractive, and therefore looks don't play much of a role.

• (clap) (clap). Wow, spoken like a true female. I couldn't have said it better myself. What was your number again? Lol

• I really don't notice guy's weight that much. iT's more like a wrestling set up in my mind- they're are the skinny guys (the lightweights haha), then average guys and then the really big guys. really big might be okay if that's your frame and build- but some guys just need to lose weight because it's not healthy for them and they have "man boobs" (EW) and a beer belly.

Personally, I like guys who take care of themselves and work out regularly at the gym. Currently I'm seeing someone who is on the skinny side, but he is really lean and muscular.

I just work out really hard myself and keep my dress size down to a 0 or 2 so I expect guys to do the same. (haha not a 0 or 2, but . you know what I mean).

• Only if he is in one of the extremes (obese or frail). Otherwise, not at all. Personality and eyes are far more important :)

• Each girl is different, but if I'm honest if the girl is skinny, she'll most likely go for a skinny guy. If she is a bit bigger then she'll go for bigger guys.

• You don't need to have a muscular body to be an attractive guy

But if you are overweight you might stop attracting some girls

like a good personality on a guy is crucial, so is a guy who's healthy and taking care of himself

• I think it all depends on the girl that you're talking about. Some girls are just as shallow as some guys. Some girls could care less and just love the guy for his personality! That's a great thing but not always a common thing. Which sucks, but hey there are a lot of situations. Like if you have known the person a long time, or not. It's not a big deal if you already know the guy, because your use to his appearance.

Hope that helped!

• I think that it depends on the girl. if she is shallow then sure it will matter. It's the same way with guys. guys want a "hot", thin girl. girls want a guy who is attractive but some girls take it too far others will give a guy a chance no matter what they weigh.

• Of course... think about it when you see or meet someone what attracts you towards them? First thing is the physical appearance oh she's hot or oh she's not and then you see their personality, what do you have in common with etc,etc

• As long as he is healthy it's fine to be a little bigger. I don't prefer guys who don't take care of their bodies, and let their weight get out of control. There is such a thing as eating yourself to death, and if I want to be with you I'd prefer it if you were alive and well ya know? And I agree with what jessica849 said- the first part anyways.

• What someone weighs doesn't matter after you've gotten to know them.(unless, you're extremely shallow)

• IT DOES NOT MATTER! If a girl likes you they like you fat or skinny its the person inside that matters the most. I no plenty of fat guys who have been asked by drop dead gorgeous women and vise versa. Hey most people its their taste. A lot of girls like men with sexy abs but if you not look nervous about yourself all the girls will come 2 you cause all they will see a man who is confident and believe me a lot of girls like that sort of thing.

• I love fat men! I myself am 145...which is probably too much since I'm only 5 8 but my bf who's 5 7 is only 105 pounds and that majorly upsets me, I love fat...the more fat the better!

• LOL your ridicules! you publicly trashed your boyfriend.

• Well if you knew him, you'd agree. I tried breaking up with him and he cried(we only had been dating for a week). Dig that. That's ridicules!

• I do not think it's so much his weight but how he carries his weight. If all of his weight is concentrated at his stomach region and it looks like he's carrying twins, then that is not attractive at all. And man boobies are not attractive AT ALL. Your boobs should not be bigger than mine LOL!

• It would only be a deterrent if your weight suggests that you're lazy or unhealthy, or otherwise unwilling to take care of your body. A guy with a little extra fat is almost preferable to someone skeletal or overly muscular.

• It doesn't. Unless he's really overweight with a big belly and man boobs. I don't mind skinny guys or guys that are a little chubby.

• Extremes in either way are not attractive. Height is more important, along with nice eyes, a nice smile, and a good personality. Confidence is VERY attractive. An average looking guy who is tall with a cute smile, nice eyes, wit, and financially well off will do VERY well with girls.

• More from Girls
    26

What Guys Said 3

• I'd say a lot. Its probably why I go home alone every night and why I am jogging 30 miles a week. Because I'm tired of watching good chicks get burnt by shitty guys, when I know I'm better and have more to offer. I'm a diamond in the rough. But one thing I know for sure. Nothing lasts forever.!

• It goes much further than weight. Being heavy is also an indicator that he or she doesn't respect themselves to at least try to be healthy. Sure, some are naturally obese, by genetics. But these are rare cases, and most people can exercise but refuse to because of lack of commitment.

• It does effect a lot sadly. I recently lost a lot of weight and soon after out of nowhere girls started talking to me I won't say that weight is all that matters but look at it from this perspective if you can't physically take care of yourself can you physically take care of them