I have had a problem with my scalp being extra dry and no matter what I do it just never goes away. I have thick, curly, black hair and I can't seem to get rid of this, does anyone have some real working advice?

Most Helpful Guy

• I used to have a VERY dry scalp too...

Try shampooing your hair less (I'm talking like once a month)

Also get a "cleansing conditioner" and use it every day

Try link

in addition get a good conditioner with no sulfates link

my sister is a hair dresser so that's how I know haha

• Thanks!! So with the two conditioners and washing hair once a month, how often would I use the products? Only when I wash my hair?

• I should have worded that differently...

Use the cleanser once a week and just conditition your hair every time you shower...

Also leave some of the conditioner in your hair after you rinse it out... it will keep it from drying it out during the day

• Alright I will def do that!! Appreciate the help!

What Girls Said 7

• Firstly stop using strongly scented products, its possible you're having an allergic reaction to them.

Secondly stay away from any shampoos and conditioners that have silica in them, this is bad news for your hair and scalp as it just coats it with plastic in order to make it look shiny. Pantene and Head & Shoulders are the worst two offenders for this.

Another thing is go see your doctor, as you may have psoriasis. Especially if you get really flaky patches behind your ears. They can prescribe some hydrocortisone cream which should take some of the itchiness and flaking away.

• 1. Use a clarifying shampoo

2. condition, condition, condition and make sure its a moisturising conditioner that you're using.

3. Use olive oil to treat your hair once or twice a week - Simply rub olive oil into your hair, wrap some kind of saran wrap or shower cap on your head and ket the olive oil soak for 30 min.

Hope this helps!

• I was also told that VO8 would help as well, thoughts?

• Yea VO5 hot oil would work also. It might be a little pricier, but a product like that would definitely help.

• my boyfriend has the same problem. Although a lot of girls have suggested treatments, I would visit a dermatologist.

• Tea tree oil or a product called hawaiian silky

• use olive oil once or twice a week...let it sit for at least 30 mins...

• it sounds like you may have dandruff. try rubbing a bit of olive oil on your scalp right before you shower

• try head and shoulders

use deep conditioner once a week

What Guys Said 1

• Herbal essences has a great product that nourishes your scalp and moisturizes your scalp and hair.