What is too much makeup?

I've heard guys have different opinions to girls on what is 'too much' makeup.

On a day to day basis I wear tinted moisturizer, mascara, blusher and tinted lip balm. To me this doesn't seem like a lot, but I'd like to hear a male perspective...

Most Helpful Girl

• When a girl wears make-up,she's called fake and said to be falsely advertising.

When a girl doesn't wear make-up,she is said to not take care of herself,her appearance or what she looks like.

Guys say they want "natural" and dislike make-up,but that is because they've clearly never seen a natural woman in real life.They see women in magazines and assume all women have clear,flawless skin.When in reality,most women suffer from at least one of the following:rosacea,acne,large pores,uneven skin tone,wrinkles,blemishes,blackheads,redness,oiliness,dryness,under eye circles,puffiness,stretch marks,cellulite etc.When these are exposed,the women are told to cover up and that they do not take care of themselves.Some women have multiple combinations of these.

They think all women are 100% tight,fit and toned.Spanx anyone?

They think all women have long,lush,full healthy hair.Extensions,weaves,tracks?Ever heard of that?Of course when a woman in a magazine wears such,you hear no complaints from men,but on this site,everything is just against women trying to feel good about themselves.

They don't realize,the women in reality do not compare to women in magazines that they drools over.

There was one girl on here who said that many of the guys on here are young and inexperienced,those are the ones claiming to like "natural" where as the older and more experienced guys do not say such things or judge women by their make-up or accessories.

I copied and pasted.

ADD:Guys who say makeup is a turn off are unrealistic.They stare and drool over chicks who wear tons of make-up such as Megan Fox,Cheryl Cole,yet feel the need to judge women when women do not cover up and when women do cover up they still judge

What Guys Said 10

• The old adage, "less is more," definitely applies here. While it's true that makeup can do quite a lot for many women, it can easily do too much, if you follow me. The purpose of makeup is to accentuate the inherent beauty in any given woman. (Too) many girls think that they're ugly or not good enough, so they slather on makeup like it's no big deal. Let me just throw this out there: we don't like it when you have a pound-and-a-half of makeup hanging from your face. Hey, maybe it really makes your eyes pop and you have that natural, slightly embarrassed-yet-healthy blush going on, but you can achieve the same effect by wearing nothing at all.

Plain and simple, makeup can do wonders, but is quite often overdone. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate it when girls care about the way they look. But, pounding foundation and mascara and all the other gunk on really doesn't flatter you. Toss on some lipstick and eyeliner, hell maybe even some blush, if you're going out for a date with that cute guy. Otherwise, just stick to the minimum. A little cover-up here and there if you really need it, but the all-natural look is just great.

• I just saw a make up video and had some big realizations about girls and make up.

It's too much make up when you see the layers and layers of make up

It's bad when you can see the line from their neck and where their make up begins.

It's too much when you can see the light shining and reflecting too much off of the face, probably because it's has an spf.

I think it comes more down to skill and style than it does how much you put on.

For example, this girl puts on a bunch of make up, but it's done so well, that it turned this average looking girl into super cute and I would probably hit on her at a club / bar:

link

• 8 minutes of applying make-up :o

• Just look at her in the beginning when she's bare faced, and like around 6 minutes when she's done. insane right?

• Its not 8 minutes its much longer as it has been edited so's not to be too long, she looks great though even though that still is a hell of a lot of make-up and products!

• a picture would give us a better judgement, but it doesn't sound like what I'd call too much.

too much makeup tends to come with the connotations of "orange" and "fake bake"

• link or link

The first one is just ew, and the second one looks like she ran out of powder/paste before she could finish her face. I really don't like touching a girls face and having my hand then covered in all kinds of random crap.

Personally I prefer women without makeup. I don't mind lip balm or some mascara, but nothing on the cheeks and forehead

• When you start to look like that lady from the Drew Carey show, big Mimi. Or when it looks like you used one of those fake, orange tans. When makeup is subtle on a girls face and you can still see her natural look, then it's cute. Otherwise, don't be a powder face.

• To much make up is when you can actually see foundation on your face and it actually looks so obvious that you do have a lot on. Another thing is in the eye region, a lot of make up in that region basically means you're packing way to much mascara or what ever that people can't even look at your eyes properly. If you don't know what I mean, you can look on this website on some profiles which you see girls have to much make up and it's pretty obvious they do and it is not natural or a good thing. Very bad turn off too for guys.

• to much is if you can tell its on

• I don't think its the amount of makeup more of how you apply the makeup

because if you look at the video anonymousdude2 put up she uses 10+ items and to me that's a lot lol but she applies it so well that it seems like she's wearing 3 (eye shadow and foundation and lip gloss)

so I would say just make sure you know how to apply it and you should be good :)

• Any make-up at all is a turn off, including scented shampoo, any conditioner, hair styling products, jewelry, sunglasses, mascara, eye liner, foundation, perfume, nail polish, etc. Its a waste of time, looks unnatural and emphasizes their concern for appearance.

• to much is when you trowel it on and use a chisel to take it off...

What Girls Said 13

• 1st, guys are not going to know exactly what to expect from "tinted moisturizer", etc. Guys are not in the habit of knowing that much about makeup, for good reason. This is what guys do know: most guys like a girl to look "natural". So, if you wear foundation versus tinted moisturizer or lip gloss versus tinted lip balm, they don't care. It's the final look, and in the case of lip products, the final feel, that matters.

As a woman, I know exactly what the above makeup would look like. It would normally look pretty natural. Sure, you could gob on the mascara, overdo the blush and I have seen some garishly tinted lip balms, but I am just going to go with the idea that you don't overdo any of this and your lip balm is subtle and has a natural color. It is the rare guy who is going to have a problem with a girl looking natural.

I wear foundation, powder, blush, mascara, gloss, fill in my brows and use eye liner. I do it all with a light hand, double check in good lighting that it is blended and, guess what, I am told I look like I don't wear makeup. I think that is the best compliment you can get. You want makeup to enhance your features not be the thing people are noticing.

• I think what you're wearing isn't too much.

this is too much make up : link

• when a girl has a lot of make up, she does her blush too intense like as if someone 'hit her' and her eye brows are drawn in so dark they look like vampire eye brows or something and her eye lashes are way too long, and also she has way too much eye shadow on. that's when you know she is wearing way too much

• Too much is too much of any one product. I mean even if a girl wears ONLY blush, but she puts a ton on, then that's too much.

As long as it looks natural, even if you put on 13 different products with a very light touch, then it's not going to look like too much.

• if you don't want to put too much, then don't use eyeshadow. I myself wear eye makeup all the time, so I know, haha.

if you wear eyeshadow (or eyeliner anywhere other than the waterline) then you need mascara. without it, the eyeshadow gets on your lashes and masks them, it looks like you don't have lashes at all.

one girl said choose between liner or mascara, so I'm just letting you know that shadow and liner can mask your lashes ;P

it sounds like you are wearing the perfect amount for you, don't wear more if you are uncomfy with it. if you want to really make your eyes pop (on a date or something) try some black kohl on the waterline.

hope this helps!

• keep the eye shadow for special nights

on a daily basis pick between eyeliner OR mascara NOT BOTH and DO not over do the mascara

ughh some girls look like cats they get their eyes to pop and look so big and I would suggest not putting eyeliner or mascara on the bottom of the eye line

save the blush for special occasion

foundation is bad bad bad but use a little once again for a night out

tinted moisturizer is great a little lip balm is good if you don't have red lips and wanna give it a boost YOUR routine sounds really good

i say if it takes under 5 min to apply then your fine

suggestion- when applying mascara take an eyebrow brush and brush your eyelashes. it takes out the clumps, makes them even longer, and looking more natural!

hope this helps from a girls pov

• I think men are just afraid of the foundation and powder ..

Dont make your skin a different tone !

I myself wear a lot of eye makeup( at night though) .. eyeshadow and eyeliner , and mascara.

Dont cake on mascara where you only have 5 eyelashes !

• Guys on here can be a little weird about makeup. I think that they mean that they prefer natural looking makeup, stuff that doesn't look caked on and obvious. Guys are just a little clueless when it comes to these girly things, that's all.

• males don't know how much is tooo much unless they see it on you ..they'll just hear all the different types and assume its a lot. post up a pick if you want a real response

• I'm not a guy but this doesn't seem like a lot at all. Just don't wear a ton of eyeliner and orange foundation and you should be fine.

• I don't even wear any cover up, I guess because I have pretty clear skin. Anyways, but I always put eyeliner on my waterline, and mascara. Simple as that. :)

• thats not a lot

• depends how much your using, I usually just use mascara and sometimes a tinted moisturizer